FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! I have water in my ear and I can't get it out!

Author Topic: Help! I have water in my ear and I can't get it out!
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all.
I have tried jumping, q-tips(even though I know it's horrible), tugging on the ear while jumping and even trying to shake it out with my finger.
These are some of the remedies I've found online. I know there's swimmer's ear solution at the pharmacy, but this is only about 1/2 hour old. I saw reference to alcohol, but are there any negative aspects to this and if not, how much.

Thank you in advance!

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
you can try regular 70% rubbing alcohol, it normally works in a pinch to break the surface tension.

The stuff at the pharmacy is about 98% alcohol with a touch of glycerine and/or a dab of citric acid to neutralize the ear pH.

It is possible to make your own solution, adding a couple drops of vinegar and glycerine that approximates the commercial stuff.

However for a single isolated incident, I'd go with regular rubbing alcohol, rather than buying the swimmers ear stuff fromt he store. If you need to repeat the process frequently enough to worry about your ear drying out, then you get the commercial stuff. But if you aren't on a swim team or a lifeguard, regular alcohol just once shoouldn't have much of a drying effect.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You can go for just vinegar, too-- straight vinegar works sometimes. Get it warm first. (I'm allergic to rubbing alcohol and can't use the other stuff. I also have OME that recurs frequently.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.