FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! I have water in my ear and I can't get it out!

Author Topic: Help! I have water in my ear and I can't get it out!
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all.
I have tried jumping, q-tips(even though I know it's horrible) [No No] , tugging on the ear while jumping and even trying to shake it out with my finger.
These were some of the remedies that I had found online. I know there's swimmer's ear solution at the pharmacy, but this is only about 1/2 hour old. I saw reference to alcohol, but are there any negative aspects to this? If not is it direct alcohol or do I have to water it down?
Ugh I hate this! [Wall Bash]

Thank you in advance!

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ear candle?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to go with jumping up and down while tugging on the ear and pounding on the head. It's the pounding on the head part that's key.

ETA: I think I heard somewhere that half rubbing alchohol and half water is a good solution. I think that was the doctor that told me that.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

Ack!! sorry about the double post, on my browser it wasn't loading so I thought it didn't post.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Swimmer's ear is basically alcohol. That doesn't mean puor alcohol in your ear. Look up the ingredients and see. I love the stuff myself.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

Thanks!

Although
quote:
That doesn't mean pour alcohol in your ear
That's what a lot of people suggested (or at least a couple of drops).
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a goldfish and put that in as well. BE the aquarium!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

LOL. Well then I guess I should remove him from my fishtank boots
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
You could hang out in my town for a few minutes. With <3% ambient humidity your ear will dry out and crack in the time it took you to post. Just enjoy it while it lasts.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

It's out!!! I found some more remedies on wikihow and I did the *tilt ear with water towards ceiling, pour in more water and then turn your head quickly* or something like that and it worked. (until I tried it in the ear I had tried to clear and clogged it...but that's a tale for another time).
[Party]

Thanks again for the recomendations.

Which town do you live in?? *Artemisia*

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been afraid about the "ear candle". Given a choice of slight ear discomfort or setting my head on fire... well... I can take a little discomfort.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which town do you live in?? *Artemisia*
I live (most of the time) and work in Hawthorne NV.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that tilting my head to the side so the affected ear is down and thumping my head gently with the heel of my palm just above my ear (or what would be above my ear if I had my head upright) works pretty well. I'm actually not sure you even need to hit your head; lying down on my side with the affected ear on my pillow generally works within a minute or two.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
I've always been afraid about the "ear candle". Given a choice of slight ear discomfort or setting my head on fire... well... I can take a little discomfort.

That's not even the choice. It has been proven that ear candles are a hoax. And there have been many reports of incidents involving burns serious enough to require emergency room visits.

One study of many.
Experiments

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The swim ear stuff is all alcohol. A camp I went to as a kid made us put dropperfuls of rubbing alcohol in our ears after we swam, since we swam 3 times a day. Worked great and nobody got ear infections.

The accepted technique is to lean over sideways and put a few drops in your ear until it feels full. Then close that ear with your finger, and lean the other way to apply to the other side (if needed). Then with both ears closed by fingers, tilt from side to side two or three times to thoroughly mix the alcohol with the water. The two mix easily, so there's no need to put water in the alcohol. You want the resulting mixture to be as much alcohol as possible and as little water. Then just release your ears and wipe dry with a towel. It feels really good in your ears, giving them a warm feeling that scratches the tickle.

I buy the swim ear stuff at the drugstore because it comes in a convenient size and has an easy nozzle for applying it. Regular rubbing alcohol and a dropper works just as well.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually find that rubbing alcohol kinda burns actually...

But it also works, so I generally put up with it.

quote:
Buy a goldfish and put that in as well. BE the aquarium!
Goldfish? Nah, all that would do is swim around and be annoying. If you're gonna go sticking fish in there, make it a Babel fish, at least that pays rent in the form of free translation.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I always *hated* putting drops in my ears, but I found that if I lay my head to the side and be patient, gravity will work the water out within a few minutes. It makes a really weird splashing noise and feeling when it does, too.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.