FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Michael Caine in a movie titled "Sleuth"...

Author Topic: Michael Caine in a movie titled "Sleuth"...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. Deja vu!
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I am completely intrigued, this is absolutely a film that did not need to be remade. And especially not in a creepy state-of-the-art high tech house vs. the original's charmingly dark and spooky English manor.

That being said, I adore Michael Caine and i think him getting to play the Olivier role is awesome.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
What a twist.

Caine takes on the Olivier role? I'm halfway intrigued but I am not sure if this needed a remake.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never seen the original -- just checked it out on IMDB and thought I'd share w/ those who are also unfamiliar with it that Michael Caine played the role of the younger antagonist in the 1972 film. I'll be adding that to my Netflix queue.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Was this also a play? I have vague memories of seeing it in high school...
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Caine also starred with Christopher Reeves in a knockoff of Sleuth with the same basic plot called "Deathtrap" in 1982. Directed by Sidney Lumet. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083806/
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so that's why the plot sounded so familiar--I have seen Deathtrap. So I guess that adds to Leonide's comment about this film not needing to be made!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Mig, Deathtrap was based on a stage play by Ira Levin...which was a knockoff of the Sleuth stage play. So it was a third generation knock-off.

Liz B: Yes, it was originally a stage play.

Which brings up a question for the "remakes aren't needed" crowd: Wasn't the 1972 film then an "pointless remake" of the original play? [Smile]

In fact, hasn't the play been staged many times since then, with different casts?

Evil remakers! [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it pretty ironic that Jude Law is playing against him. It's like the Alfie on Alfie smackdown!

I'm also somewhat encouraged to see that Branaugh is directing. I hope it's better than the Italian Job and Ocean's 11, which both were idiotic compared with their forebears.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.