FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for a poem (found!)

Author Topic: Looking for a poem (found!)
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a poem that talks about a guy who never smoked, never drank, never did anything "fun", and at his funeral, it was decided that since he'd never lived, he couldn't really be said to have died.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

[ July 11, 2007, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a folk poem I've heard. Likely it is a traditional poem from America, mid 19th century, maybe near the realist movement. I would bet that there are a number of variations and probably you'll get multiple citiations

The moral lesson smacks of Thoreau, but the anti-puritan attitude does not. I might say Dickinson, or maybe Crane, who is especially fond of these very ethereal "it was decided" kind of interactions. Good luck, I'll think on it.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Lisa, this is what I found A Vital Statistic
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with the idea that drinking and smoking are really necessary to be "living."

I WOULD agree that romping and playing are necessary to be "living."

Anyway-- here's a link to one of my favorite poems in the same vein:

Curiosity, by Alistair Reed

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by AutumnWind:
Hey Lisa, this is what I found A Vital Statistic

Very cool! I'll pass it on and see if that's the one.

Edit: That was it! I just showed it to Havah and she screamed. She heard that back in 4th or 5th grade, and she's been trying to find it for decades. Thank you so much. And big thanks from her as well.

[ July 11, 2007, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*grin

I, too, would've noted "Curiosity" as an aside.

Lisa, the only thing remotely similar to your poem that I can come up with is Richard Cory, but from your description, that isn't it. [Frown]

Good luck!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Lisa, the only thing remotely similar to your poem that I can come up with is Richard Cory, but from your description, that isn't it. [Frown]

I'm obviously an illiterate, because I had no idea Richard Cory was a poem. I thought it was just Richard Cory, the Simon and Garfunkel song.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
And I didn't know about the song.

(Together, we fight crime! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a moving, modern poem expressing the same sentement by my wife's favorite poet Carol Lynn Pearson Millie's Mother's Red Dress It is not strophic so it's hard to memorize. But, I read it from time to time, just to remember.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I already love this thread. I had never read "Curiosity"--thanks for sharing it.

The first poem that popped into my mind when I read your question, Lisa, was "Lucinda Matlock" from Masters's Spoon River Anthology. I knew it couldn't be right, but seemed to express a similar idea.

And any time I read "Richard Cory" I also think of "The Rich Man". [Smile]

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: Would you agree that if a man in addition to never smoking or drinking had, "NEVER ROMPED OR PLAYED"

or

"EVER KISSED A MAID"

That signs point to, "He's never lived?"

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Edit: That was it! I just showed it to Havah and she screamed. She heard that back in 4th or 5th grade, and she's been trying to find it for decades. Thank you so much. And big thanks from her as well.

Glad that was it!

Here's one that I think you will like. Fable of The Mermaid & The Drunks by Pablo Neruda
The translations are all slightly different, this was the closest one.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm personally partial to kissing maids, but I've know a few Roman Catholic priests who have never done so. And they are perfectly happy, fulfilled people.

Of course, they also romp and play.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a gravestone epitaph. I doubt it was written by a major poet.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Lisa, the only thing remotely similar to your poem that I can come up with is Richard Cory, but from your description, that isn't it.

E.A. Robinson was such a cheerful poet. Richard Corey, Miniver Cheevy . . . [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.