FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WOOT! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WOOT!
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Random crap!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I may have gotten one, still waiting on the server, fingers crossed.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Servers. Very. Unhappy.
Still. Waiting.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Servers. Very. Unhappy.

Yeppers.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Order processing. Come on random craps!!!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting too.

If we all get them it will be interesting to have a follow-up when we get them. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sniffle*

Edit: and now it's definite. [Cry]

[ July 12, 2007, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
And a bit controversial. The site shows the last one sold at 1:30 but the "I want one!" button was bouncing long after that. More than a few people in the comments section got in before that time but received no woot love, at least so far.

Didn't leave my window open, dunno when exactly I got in. No comfirmation yet though, so I assume I missed it. Sigh. I'll just have to snuggle up with the wootmonkey from my last BoC and be happy with that...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Missed it. Curses!
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I got in at about five past, I didn't realize woot and I share a birthday, but it looks like I didn't get it. Ditto on the monkey comfort Chris.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I hit it at about 12:15. It looked like it went through, but I have no confirmation on my account page and haven't yet checked that email.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
No confirmation here either. Guess I'll have to find different crap to spend my $8 on.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody know the most expensive W00T! sale they've had?
Not the best bargain (probably the 61inch plasma HDTV which which was shipped separately because it wouldn't fit in the Bag of three for $3 + $5 for shipping&handling) nor the $1,000,001 Bag with a $1,000,000 discount coupon.
The package which actually cost the buyers the most money.

Any guesses to get the ball rolling would be welcome.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I didn't get one (or the three like I'd hoped). My account page doesn't show it.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No love here, either.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I could have but decided not to because we just returned on vacation.

The $400 hold on my account hasn't processed off the account (using a debit card sucks) so I am glad I didn't.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like there was a Woot meltdown...

"You people tried to order 140,000 craps, but we “only” had 10,000. 53,238 people placed orders for our 10,000 craps. Of those, 3,701 lucky wooters will be getting their crap (about 7%). 49,537 orders were denied (the other 93%). Assuming you were more or less as quick on the draw as everybody else, you had a roughly 1 in 14 shot at a BOC.

"What about that official sell-out time of 1:30 AM? Many wooters are irritated, annoyed, or enraged by the idea that they lost out to people who placed orders after they did. Is that really what happened? Read on to find out..."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Geographically speaking, 768 Californians scored a bag, the most of any state.
Rub it in, whydoncha. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

And yet again, too darn slow.

DANG!

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I considered staying up for the crap, but decided to go to sleep instead. I've stayed up a few times but I've never managed to get one.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't they have an online raffle for the bag rather than a server carpet bombing? They could easily pick the same number of winners without the controversy that way. Duh?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Because they realize the controversy is part of the "fun" for their regulars.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Because they realize the controversy is part of the "fun" for their regulars.

Speaking as one of those regulars (and as somebody who clicked "I Want One!" the instant it went up, but did not get one), I agree wholeheartedly. No raffles! Give me the thrill of the hunt!
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*mostly agrees*
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the site is faking the "server crashes" to give you the "thrill of the hunt?" That'd be pretty smart.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Why don't they have an online raffle for the bag rather than a server carpet bombing? They could easily pick the same number of winners without the controversy that way. Duh?

This time, that's sort of what they did.

So, what ones digit do YOU want the Dow Jones to end up with tomorrow?

Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 6! First time trying for a boc, but I wanted the lights before I realized the the boc was even there. So I am happy anyway.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Xann, I have a 6 too. We can win (or lose) together!
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
RAMPANT CONSUMERISM
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
SENTENCE FRAGMENT
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
ANGRY WHITE MEN
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
RAMPANT CONSUMERISM

Definitely. That $8 really hurt.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My reaction to that woot was "So I pay them money to gamble for the chance to gamble that they'll send me something worth more to me than $8. I'll pass."

And now I get to look down my nose at Rampant Rivka.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Razz]
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I got a Bag of Crap.

I'll let people know what I get.

[ July 13, 2009, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nuts.

Hmm. The coupon codes are something, though.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I lie at wake at night pleading with the gods to grace with me a bag of crap before I die.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Just as long as you don't get it Georgia-Lass-style.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, forgot to get back.

I got:
1 4Gig Sansa Mp3 player (no charging cable so haven't used)
1 4Gb Sony Mp3 player with the whole kit and kaboodle
1 slimline power inverter
1 16Gig Kingston Flash Drive
3 DVDs (Superbad, Team America, and Blades of Glory)
1 charging cable for a Jabra headset (no headset)
and the Woot! lights.

So, yeah, totally worth it.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Just as long as you don't get it Georgia-Lass-style.

*giggle* I missed this before.

Nice haul, MrSquicky! My daughter has a 2 gig Sansa and it uses a Mini-USB to charge through the computer.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Took almost a month, but I got my giggle! [Cool]
rivka
Member # 4859

I made a note on my calendar that a Woot Off tonight was likely. That speculation was not entirely accurate; they did the buy-lights-and-get-a-one-in-ten-shot-at-a-BOC-and-you-won't-know-till-tomorrow-afternoon thing again.

I bought lights. [Razz] I believe that makes me a sucker. Whether I'm a lucky sucker I won't know till the close of Monday's Dow Jones.

Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought 'em too, rivka (along with most of my office).
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

If I'm reading the right number, I did not get a BoC. Ah well. The lights are worth it on their own.
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm not sure WHICH digit I'm supposed to be looking at. But as mine is not in there at all, I lose.

Blast!

Edit: Ah, ok, it's the ones digit -- a 6.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a sucker. I bought the lights but the mysterious bag of crap eluded me as always.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not seeing where they explain how to parse the number, or even what number you're expected to parse. Could one of you point me in the right direction?
[Edit - Nevermind, I found it. No bag of crap for me, unfortunately]

[ July 13, 2010, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Jake ]

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

6! My order number ended in 6! Huzzah!

(But, umm, sorry about the rest of you...)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Didn't you get one LAST year too?

*GLARE*

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Didn't you get one LAST year too?

*GLARE*

Guilty as charged. Though I've had many more slip through my fingers...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.