FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » British Blamed for Badger's Battery of Basra

Author Topic: British Blamed for Badger's Battery of Basra
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6295138.stm

*giggle-snort*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome.

A monkey-headed dog, eh? I guess this is how stories of manticores and chimeras got started...

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I laughed at the alliteration, then felt sad when I realized the jittery farmers killed honey badgers [Frown]

Honey badgers are one of the most facinating animals there are. They can get bitten in the process of trying to kill venomous snakes and survive poison that would normally kill a man by falling asleep and hours later waking up, they then proceed to eat the snake.

They have been known to work in tangent with a bird that guides them to bee hives. They ignore the hundreds of stings and absorb the poison and make off with the honey, leaving a small share for the bird.

I remember watching on Animal Planet an old one eyed toothless honey badger fend off a leopard for an entire hour before dying. I'd be impressed with myself if I survived 5 minutes. Heck if I was old, one eyed, and toothless I'd be happy if I made it 30 seconds against a hungry leopard.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Man Eating Badgers" would be a good name for a band.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel bad for the badgers, naturally. But you have to admit that the "It's a British Plot" bit sounds like something out of Monty Python.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor honey badgers...
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
I feel bad for the badgers, naturally. But you have to admit that the "It's a British Plot" bit sounds like something out of Monty Python.

The secret plot to airdrop badgers over Berlin during world war II would have made a great sketch.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
We should invite the Basra'ns to our forum.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
"British Blamed for Badger's Battery of Basra"

The title even sounded a little Pythony.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the story I saw on it: http://tinyurl.com/cl86p
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about a "honey badger", but I would take my chances with a bear, over one of the regular ones we have around here, any day.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
People who write punny or alliterative or otherwise "clever" headlines are a plague upon society. When I am overlord, there will be LAWS, I tell you.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"Leader Laments Alliterative Leads - Illegality Looms"
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

That's it, Dagonee. You're going to be first against the wall.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Here's the story I saw on it: http://tinyurl.com/cl86p

noooo ......!!!

quote:
UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer said: "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
another giggle-snort.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm dictator, People who threaten Dagonee will be flayed.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, I know who gets my vote!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Pixiest: If you support Dagonee, then the terrorists have already won.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Leader, shmeader.

Like I'll leave any lawyers, libertarians, or literary literalists living. LOL!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*adds Scott to the list*
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*also adds Scott to the list*
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
First Female Forewoman Flays Factotum Foes For First Fault.

"Advocate's Act" Asinine in All Actuality.

Leave alliteration alone! (Wow that line ALMOST makes the cut and it was unintended!)

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Dear Jon Boy,

It's too late to try to suck up now.

Sincerely,

Wall Boy

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Suck up? To you? Why would I suck up to the guy at the top of my list?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
As someday it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list,
I've got a little list,
Of society offenders who might well be underground
And who never would be missed,
Who never would be missed.

Pshaw. I was in The Mikado. I'm immune to your Gilbert and Sullivan innanery.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I also found the British categorical denial of releasing deadly badgers a well needed ray of humor today.

But you know what an official denial really means!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
People who write punny or alliterative or otherwise "clever" headlines are a plague upon society. When I am overlord, there will be LAWS, I tell you.

Although an actionable assessment, an analytical average assuming abutment amounts absolutely affirms an adventurous ace assuredly attaining abandonment and afterward annihilation, alltogether, ad-rem aims and arrangements assumed and affianced. Aha, anticipate adverse abatement!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody expects the Britsh Badger Corp!

And you though the BBC was all about TV. Fools. The invasion is upon us:
Invasion of the Badgers

The original Badger Song from Weebl

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.