FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Evil shoes.

Author Topic: Evil shoes.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Why are so many women's shoes torture devices?

There used to be a store near me that sold these really cool foam pad kinds of things. I bought them once for a pair of flats that cut up my heels when I wore them for more than a few minutes, and they were amazing. I think they also had skid-resistent things to stick on the bottoms of shoes that were kind of slippery. But I can't find them anymore. [Frown] Have any of the other Hatrack ladies used these kinds of things? Which ones did you like best?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Why ask just the ladies about women's shoes? [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I like the way my torturous shoes look. [Frown] I just don't like having to cover my feet with band-aids for a week after I wear them.

But they look good.

Such a difficult trade-off. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two awful blisters on the back of each heel right now from these adorable yellow flats, and some sore spots on a toe from pointy toed heels. I've tried those insert things and they always hurt more than the shoe already did
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The short answer is "Because so many women buy them." Until painful shoes are sent to the dustbin of fashion by widespread rejection, they will continue to be made.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use the non-skid pads, and the foamy thingies, but haven't needed them for quite some time as I hardly ever wear dressy shoes these days. I used to buy them at better shoe stores. Sometimes you can find stuff like that at Walgreens. Check near the feet products.

Incidentally, I just read a fascinating article that pointed out that humans weren't made to wear shoes, and that wearing shoes causes us to walk unnaturally, leading to all sorts of problems. Like curled toes. I used to have curled toes, but over the last few years I've been wearing walking sandals or open-toed shoes (even into winter, as my feet have had a tendency to be HOT lately), and my toes are slowly straigtening out.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
xnera: But the downside to dumping shoes is, split heals, thick callouses, bleeding, spines/thorns, and worms burrowing into our feet, so they can lay their eggs and start a family.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should bring this up. I was just reading an old National Geographic article (2006, I think) on shoes. One of the people interviewed said that you can't be a dominatrix in comfy shoes; you have to be in pain to want to take it out on others. LOL!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Part of looking good is being as uncomfortable as possible. That's why guys have to wear ties.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
Part of looking good is being as uncomfortable as possible. That's why guys have to wear ties.

And wear suits to formal functions in sweltering weather. Every time I watch westerns I am constantly thinking, "Its 90+ degrees out there, how can they wear full body underwear, long pants, undershirt, shirt, vest, and coat + hat?!"
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh this is why I love being a woman in comfortable shoes.

Hey boys, how much do a woman's shoes affect whether you find her attractive or not? I've always been curious about that.

Coming from this side of the street, I gotta say that anything that looks painful, especially heels, is unattractive.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dood. I'd just wear hiking boots.
Screw uncomfortable shoes. I have go anywhere do anything shoes.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey boys, how much do a woman's shoes affect whether you find her attractive or not?
Little to none, with the little being slight negatives for stranger type shoes.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on what you mean. High heels make a womans legs look nice, but most of the time I would say it doesn't matter to me at all. If we are dressed up nice for some reason it might...I wouldn't wear docksiders with a suit, so I don't expect my wife to wear sneakers with a dress...but overall I don't notice unless the shoe is drastic one way or another.

High heels on a woman just make me very glad I am a man. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that while heels can definitely look very good and compliment an outfit very well, the absence of heels isn't a bad thing by any means.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I buy these moleskin strips that I cut up and put inside my shoes where they rub (like the back of my heel and around the balls of my feet since mine are kind of wide and I don't wear heels often.) I started doing it to help break in my tap shoes but now I use it for everything.

My favorite shoes are my tall heeled boots. I wore them to an interview today because my other shoes tear up my feet, even though I nearly died since its 100 degrees outside.

My boyfriend is actually happy if I don't wear heels. I once had to be carried out of the French Quarter on his back because my shoes wear literally killing (blisters suck!) Ever since then he gets nervous when I wear heels. He was very proud that I found a comfy pair to wear to a recent wedding and ended up being one of the few girls who didn't ditch her shoes in a corner an hour into the reception.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

My least comfortable looking shoes are actually far, far more comfortable than my flats.

Seriously. My 4.25" stiletto pumps are ridiculously comfortable. Only problem is that I need to find those skid-resistant pads to put on them because on some wood floors, they are slippery. But they are very, very comfortable and don't cut my feet.

All of my flats destroy my heels.

-pH

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided a couple years ago that I would never again wear uncomfortable shoes. For me that meant all my 3"+ heeled shoes (heels do bad things to one of my big toe joints that is prone to problems) and some flats. Granted, I wear tennis shoes to work, and (living in Phoenix) usually wear sandals the rest of the time, so I have it easier than some people, but I have never looked back!

Edit: Thanks xnera for that link! I'm loving it! In some small way it makes me feel good about the fact that, whenever possible, I go barefoot. [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
xnera, I enjoyed the link as well, thanks. I'd like to see some research into the claims, but it makes sense to me that we've developed a maladaptive walk due to our shoes (and unnaturally hard floors and pavements).
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
The short answer is "Because so many women buy them." Until painful shoes are sent to the dustbin of fashion by widespread rejection, they will continue to be made.
Too right. Which is why I only own one or two pairs that are not really comfortable -- and even those are only slightly uncomfortable, and worn only to things like weddings. I gave up entirely on heels greater than 1.75" with my first pregnancy, and have never looked back.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, me too. My highest heel is now about 1 1/4", and that's the maximum I'll buy.

Sadly, here, dressy shoes are uncomfortable beyond belief. Happily, yesterday, I managed to find a second shoe store with shoes in my size and managed to get a relatively comfortable pair of shoes that look good enough for general out and about-ness for when I can't wear my Birkenstocks, which are my most favorite all-time comfortable shoes and only cost me Rs.3250, or about US$32.50. Sadly, that new pair of shoes cost a lot more than I thought, but comfortable shoes? This is happiness. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Why are so many women's shoes torture devices?"

A fiendishly clever chauvinist distraction to keep women from noticing that men are a real pain in the

[ July 17, 2007, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the article, too. I'd love to see some more serious research done, because it *does* make intuitive sense, and I know that some things which do turn out to be total nonsense.

I took off my shoes, to see how I walked - I definitely drop right into this "fox walk" when I'm barefoot. It isn't contrived, either. I recognised my familiar barefooted gait. Then I tried it in shoes: my loosest, lightest, most flexible shoes. I drop right back into "cow walk", by habit, but I can kind of manage the "fox walk."

I'm going to keep experimenting for the next while. This interests me a lot.

I mostly exist in flat shoes. Particularly ones with which can fit my orthodics. But I have a couple pairs of heels I wear for special occasions. I don't mind them, since it's only once in a while. I could never wear heels day in, day out. It would kill me.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Hey boys, how much do a woman's shoes affect whether you find her attractive or not? I've always been curious about that.

Very slightly. I'm pretty sure women tend to pay attention to other people's shoes more than men do. (Yup, a generalization based on gender! You can shoot me now. [Wink] )

(I just realized I almost typed "women tend to pay more attention to other people's shoes than men", but I wasn't willing to go quite that far.)

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
There also the problem of Evil Shoes in disguise. You know, the super-cute ones at the store that feel great and look good as you walk up and down the aisles giving them a test drive. But that first night on the town and you come home covered in blisters.

Some of my most comfy shoes were cheap ones that fit weird in the store but were great once they were broken in. And I've had too many cute expensive shoes turn into torture devices after the first wear.

For the most part, I'm content being a 5' 4" girl in Old Navy flip-flops.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There also the problem of Evil Shoes in disguise.
That sounds like a blues song.

"I thought my shoes were sweet shoes,
But they gone and left me blue.
I took them off my feet,
There's a bruise and blisters too.
Oh, I'm icin' my big toes now,
I've got the e-vil shoe blues."

I wear flats. Period. I have dressy flats and everyday flats and sneakers and flip-flops. I threw out my last pair of heels (other than my wedding shoes, which I keep for sentimental reasons but don't wear) last year.

And I'm happy with that. I think I have a pair of heeled boots somewhere but I think when I find them they will go bye-bye, too, and I am going to invest in some nice non-heeled boots.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
quote:
quote:
There also the problem of Evil Shoes in disguise. You know, the super-cute ones at the store that feel great and look good as you walk up and down the aisles giving them a test drive. But that first night on the town and you come home covered in blisters.

Some of my most comfy shoes were cheap ones that fit weird in the store but were great once they were broken in. And I've had too many cute expensive shoes turn into torture devices after the first wear.

For the most part, I'm content being a 5' 4" girl in Old Navy flip-flops.

I've found that cheap shoes are much more likely to cause harm. Except for flats. All flats are evil and out to destroy me.

Maybe they're in cahoots with glass.

-pH

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the big advantages of being a nurse is you get to wear comfortable shoes to work and still look professional.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually why a friend of mine gave up naughty nursing and went into the regular kind.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else think of Cruel Shoes every time they see this thread?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My 4.25" stiletto pumps
I'm sorry, you're six feet tall. You don't need to be wearing heels that tall!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so she can peer down at all the peons below her. [Wink]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to find high heels much more comfortable, and then I realized it was because I had very tight calf muscles. (I'd spent a good bit of my childhood on tiptoe.) It took years to correct.

I don't know if this is your reason, pH, but if you don't do regular calf stretches, it might be a good idea.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
It's so she can peer down at all the peons below her. [Wink]

Well, duh. [Razz]

They look like ants!

-pH

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
One of the big advantages of being a nurse is you get to wear comfortable shoes to work and still look professional.

Or a guy. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

Or a guy. [Smile]
Ha! I've been thinking this the entire time. I ONLY own pairs of shoes that are extraordinarily comfortable. Even my church shoes are lands end and QUITE comfortable.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta admit, high heels do add something of a zowie factor to the way a woman walks. Isn't that the whole point of high heels? Nevertheless, I hold no rancor against women who prefer more comfortable shoes. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I hold no rancor against women who prefer more comfortable shoes.

Oh my. What are you holding against them?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the many differences, I suppose. For me, a choice between a shoe that's ugly but comfortable and one that's fab and painful (literally) is no choice at all.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that high heels ad a wowie mczowie factor... they make you walk sexier, they lengthen the leg, and they lift the tush. huzzah!

I don't think they are required to be sexy, but they can be quite handy in a lady's arsenal of sauciness.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And they can be quite handy in the gentleman's arsenal of sauciness, too. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Or if pointy enough, any arsenal.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Touché!
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
Or if pointy enough, any arsenal.

American Maid!

"You've got arrested development written all over you, Die Fledermaus."
"Those are his condolence cheeses!"

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
I agree that high heels ad a wowie mczowie factor... they make you walk sexier, they lengthen the leg, and they lift the tush. huzzah!

I don't think they are required to be sexy, but they can be quite handy in a lady's arsenal of sauciness.

I concur. Plus, I like tall, and heels are tall-enabling.

If I find someone attractive, I'll find her attractive regardless of what sort of shoes she happens to be wearing, but I recognize that I've been conditioned to like how women look in heels.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear flats (sometimes cute flats, sometimes sneakers, sometimes cute flat boots, sometimes at the moment snow boots) every day. I can walk in them (run/hike/whatever in them) and that's important.

I still like heels for occasions. I like how I look in heels, and how I feel in them. I feel sleeker and longer and sexier, and I'm sure that translates to how I portray myself.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually notice what shoes a woman is wearing unless they really stand out, and if they do its as often to think "wow, that looks really uncomfortable" as anything else.

But I have to admit that the woman playing "Tigress" in OSF's "Tracy's Tiger" wore heels, and... Wow. That girl could move.

[ July 20, 2007, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.