FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Hiding from Harry Potter spoilers, back soon

Author Topic: New column: Hiding from Harry Potter spoilers, back soon
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiding from Harry Potter spoilers, back soon

“Everything all right? You weren't checking your e-mail, I came to see if you were OK. Why is it dark in here?”

“Can’t go online.”

“Excuse me?”

“I fear the Internet.”

“So? You’ve always feared the Internet.”

“That was a vague, almost subconscious dear. This is an active dreading.”

“And the Web is going to get you… how?”

“There are spoilers there!”

“Oh, the Harry Potter thing.”

“Yes, the Harry Potter thing! ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,’ the seventh book in the series. I’ve been waiting for this for ten years, I don’t want anything to spoil the ending for me. Or the beginning of the ending. Or any of the middle stuff. I don’t want anyone telling me what happens to Harry or Ron or Hermione or what Snape’s deal is or whether or not someone kills Voldemort. I want to read it all fresh and exciting and unsullied by hints and revelations from some loose-fingered blogger.”

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
they all die!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not LIStening! LALALALALALALALALA...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there is a place we can all hide together from the ruiners and spoilers.

I'm even a little scared of Hatrack. But, people are typically courteous enough to flag spoilers.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
People are weird.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't guard against the telepaths Chris, expect a flood of thought based spoilers to saturate your brain in just alittle under 1 hour. BWAHAHAHAAHHA!

<pause>

<gets breath back>
[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Ha ha! You'll never get past my protective head gear! I used the heavy duty Reynolds Wrap!
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Great article Chris! you had a spelling mistake though:

quote:
That was a vague, almost subconscious dear. This is an active dreading.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

quote:
I believe there is a typo here.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Eek! Fixed, thanks.

I blame my usual proofreader, who is currently unavailable for some odd reason...

Strider
Member # 1807

I win Icarus.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

What will you do with him?
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I win Icarus.

Crap!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

It's okay, don't beat yourself up over it. You're not less of a man, no matter what anyone tells you.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm upset that I missed a contest in which Icarus was the prize.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Stay away from the comments section on Youtube. For any video.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:

That and wikipedia entrees relating to Harry Potter or else are high traffic in of themselves.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that set me off on a spoiler-seeking spree. I didn't find anything that I believe.

But, I still have a contest entry to write for our local public library. Staff members are selecting their favorite possible endings from what is submitted, so I want to write something that will get their attention. It's due by Friday.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:

Speaking of . . . I got an e-mail saying that someone had replied to a comment of mine. There were a hundred pages of comments on this particular video, and finding the reply to mine was hell. For one thing, because the reply was not grouped with mine in any way--nor was my reply to the reply. They really ought to be able to take you right to the page or something. Very annoying.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
*suspicious sideways glances*

Oh, no. You're not going to trick me into reading that column. Nuh-uh. I just know you snuck a spoiler in there somewhere.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that Harry Potter is actually a ghost and, at the same time, Kaiser Voldemort.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I ain't linking to it, but the Baltimore Sun got an advance copy and already posted a (mostly) spoiler-free review.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This link might contain some spoilers.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even read Stephen King's review in Entertainment Weekly last week because my sister said it was a real review of the actual book. I know he wouldn't spoil on purpose, but I didn't even want to be spoiled by his weighty, thoughtful contemplations.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that Voldemort is actually Harry Potter's mom.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Too much mpreg fanfic will do that to you mike.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:

Speaking of . . . I got an e-mail saying that someone had replied to a comment of mine. There were a hundred pages of comments on this particular video, and finding the reply to mine was hell. For one thing, because the reply was not grouped with mine in any way--nor was my reply to the reply. They really ought to be able to take you right to the page or something. Very annoying.
Click where it says View All Comments and then just Ctrl F and find your name. The reply should be right underneath it.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

The New York Times reviewed it today, avoiding specific spoilers but mentioning the number of fatalities and what "Deathly Hallows" are. Or is. I didn't read, I read the stories about the review, including the one quoting Rowling as being disappointed at the NYT ignoring the express wishes of millions of readers.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Did they say how many stars NYT gave the book? I know it's extremely unlikely, but I'm afraid that JKR might have gotten to caught up in explaining all of the mysteries and giving HP a good send-off that she'll forget to write a good story.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

NYT's review does not have a rating that I can see. DON'T read it, it certainly spoils a major plot development from which the book derives its title.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most people have an vague idea what the Deathly Hallows is or are.

I too am hiding. If someone spoils it for me, after nine and a half years, I shall be furious.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

We had a big discussion at the newspaper I work for about how to handle this. We did not get an advance copy, but we'll have a review running Sunday. After quite a bit of arguing over spoiling the ending vs talking about what everyone will be talking about, the print side is going with spoilers in a format that you'll have to work for (just glancing at the page won't give you anything) and no spoilers at all online, where people might stumble across them in a search.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:

Not me not me LALALALALA... *fingers in ears*
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:Originally posted by Teshi:

Not me not me LALALALALA... *fingers in ears*

Ditto!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:

Unless you have read the book or talked to somebody who has read it, you really don't.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually a pun. The book features poisoned marshmallows -- Deathly Mallows. They started as Weasly Wizarding Weazes product, like Nosebleed Nougats, but they got out of hand and decimated the wizarding population of the UK.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate that freakin' marshmallow.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
NO NO NO NO NO. Not LISTENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: If I had a subscription to the New York Times, I would cancel it. They didn't get an advance copy of the book from the publisher or anything. According to several fan sites, they bought it a bookstore who was selling copies early. BOO!

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by solo:
I hate that freakin' marshmallow.

"I am sick and tired of these freakin' marshmallows on this freakin' thread!"
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica89
Member # 10718

- posted      Profile for Jessica89           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
The New York Times reviewed it today, avoiding specific spoilers but mentioning the number of fatalities and what "Deathly Hallows" are. Or is. I didn't read, I read the stories about the review, including the one quoting Rowling as being disappointed at the NYT ignoring the express wishes of millions of readers.

I'm going on a longshot here, but, do you remember a Harry Potter site called PotterProphet.com?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. That article was so me?

Hi Hatrack. Yeah, I avoided you too, but I'm back now.

Did you miss me?

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I read this as "vague, almost subconscious deer" and thought, how did he already know?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, even WOOT has HP spoilers! [ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

But they're fake, aren't they?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother wrote a spoiler that tied Harry Potter to the Rapture.

I almost feel bad having turned my back on all my beloved Harry Potter naysayers at the 11th hour.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
But they're fake, aren't they?

[Evil]

I don't think I'm going to answer that.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER!!!

Hagrid turns out to be just a normal guy who's used the Engorio spell on himself.

Fred and George are actually the same person.

Ginny gives Potter a going-away present behind the locked door of her bedroom... ahem.

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.