FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lanark, anyone read it?

Author Topic: Lanark, anyone read it?
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I picked up a great book. Before I held it in my hands I hadn't heard about it, but once I held it I had to buy it. (Ever get that feeling?)

One of the things that attracted me, was the fact that it was written by a Scotsman about Scotland. (Don't ask me why, but I have a preference for Scotland)
It is called Lanark - A Life In 4 Books and was written by Alasdair Gray. When I opened to look at the contents, I was taken in by the fact that it started with book 3 and then came books 1 & 2, ending with book 4. Such quirkiness appeals to me, especially when there's a prologue tucked neatly between book 3 and book 1, and an afterword four chapters before the end of the book.
Having read it, I found it to be somewhat dark and pessimistic, yet I think I'll be re-reading it within a year, just to see whether my first impression was accurate.

Any of you read it? Feed my head with your insights...

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well FToaS, I feel required to inform you that the book was issued in 1985, which might make it harder to locate. Good luck!
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.