FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm Reading a Book That isn't Harry Potter (a non-fiction book thread)

Author Topic: I'm Reading a Book That isn't Harry Potter (a non-fiction book thread)
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.com/Tecumseh-Life-John-Sugden/dp/0805061215

It's fascinating. I was up until almost 3am reading it. Maybe it's only of interest to me because I'm part Shawnee (and unsubstantiated family lore states that my great-great-great grandmother was his daughter -- an idea that seems more plausible now that I know that his mother and one of his daughters settled in East Tennessee, where most of the natives were Cherokee), but, dudes, this guy rocks.

So far, the book has been very careful to separate the myths from can actually be substantiated. Tenskatawa (a name Tecumseh's brother gave himself in adulthood) was actually one of a set of triplets. It's just chock full of juicy nuggets like that.

So, what non-fiction are you guys reading?

[ July 19, 2007, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished a biography on Joe Namath, of all people. It was remaindered in a Walgreens for 5 bucks (the hardback edition), and it was written by a sportswriter I was familiar with so I picked it up.

It would be of zero interest to anyone who doesn't like football and/or Namath, but I found it fascinating.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading "Interupted Presidency" Its a bio on Jimmy Carter after he left Washington. Yup, it looks like I'm going to have to do a write in again next election.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished John Adams by David McCullough. It was freaking awesome.

I'm on a quest to own and read all of McCullough's stuff (yes, even Truman). I just bought The Path Between the Seas about the Panama Canal. [Smile]

This is the first year of my life that I've read non-fiction (besides church stuff) and I'm loving it. I read the new and awesome Will in the World about William Shakespeare, and started my McCullough kick with 1776. I've discovered that I really enjoy the historical stuff.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
...and started my McCullough kick with 1776. I've discovered that I really enjoy the historical stuff.

I'm reading 1776 right now. It is a fascinating book.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished reading Infidel

Now I am reading The Caged Virgin

I am also reading off and on Sears Baby and his book on discipline. What a useful book. Much better than Ezzo. But it's an older version and I finished Why Does He do that which is about domestic violence.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Data Analysis Using Regression and Multilevel/Hierarchical Models

. . . what?

I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a solid regression analysis text that will bring you up to date on current best practices from both statistical (Gelman is a stats prof, and Hill's PhD is in stats) and social science (many of the examples are from real analyses that one or the other author did a paper on or was paid to produce) perspectives, without being all about economics regressions. The text is very readable and forthright, and there are numerous code snippets (in both R and Bugs code) for the analyses. It has been praised as both a graduate textbook and a practical researcher's reference.

edit: plus, it is extremely cheap for the sort of book it is (math textbook prices . . . *shudder*)

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, nearly every book I've ever read has not been Harry Potter. I read lots of non-fiction, most of it in the subject of agriculture. I've been working my way through Wendell Berry's essays lately, which are excellent and thought-provoking.

Oh yes, thanks to fugu, I'm also reading Thinking in Java now [Wink] .

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battler03
Member # 10453

- posted      Profile for Battler03           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
I'm reading "Interupted Presidency" Its a bio on Jimmy Carter after he left Washington. Yup, it looks like I'm going to have to do a write in again next election.

For who, Jimmy Carter? Why don't you just hit yourself in the nuts with a ballpeen hammer right now and skip the middleman?

As for nonfiction I'm reading: right now I'm about a third of the way through "Imperial Grunts" by Robert Kaplan, the fantastic Atlantic Monthly correspondent. He also wrote "The Coming Anarchy," which is so insightful on geopolitics that I don't even take seriously people who haven't read it. I've also just started "Fiasco," which I'm not far enough into yet to have an opinion on.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading The Mold in Dr. Florey's Coat: The Story of the Penicillin Miracle on kq's recommendation. I'm really enjoying it!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading "God is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. Good read.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, am reading 1776, and a biography on Benjamin Franklin that I picked up at Walgreens. But, the most interesting thing I am reading (non-fiction) is Why Gender Matters Man, this is interesting stuff on the differences between boys and girls (not just mental and emotional, but psysiological as well) and how they learn. I purchased it hoping it would help me in the classroom, but it is going to help me parent, too. Great stuff!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading Why We Love, by Helen Fisher, and The God Delusion, by Dawkins. Next up, the seventh Harry Potter (or the book that must not be named!) and Parenting Beyond Belief, edited by Dale McGowan.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reading Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. (I know, I know, I'm kind of late to the game, but I'm a non-fiction n00b.) Pretty interesting, but after reading the first section and a bit of the second I'm starting to wonder whether there are any insights left in the 300 or so pages remaining, or if it's just a constant rehash of the same ideas with different names and dates. Meh.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike, let me know if it is just a rehash. I have that book and it's on my list to read but it looks sooo long. I don't pick it up during the school year because I have too much to do and I have many other books I want to read during the summer.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
I am reading Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. (I know, I know, I'm kind of late to the game, but I'm a non-fiction n00b.)

Not so late. It's been on my to-read list for a while, but I haven't even gotten around to getting a copy.

Maybe when I finish the other three non-fiction books I'm slowly going through. (Somehow I rarely find non-fiction as gripping as fiction. Not enough angst! [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

*takes notes*

Mel - I didn't mean it to be insulting, or anything, The thread title was just referencing how many threads are about Harry Potter right now. [Wink] [ROFL]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I wasn't insulted! Just amused [Smile]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I figured, but I wanted to be sure I hadn't offended. [Smile]

Most of my non-fiction reading tends to be articles in Harper's or The Atlantic about subjects that interest me, mostly historical stuff. I've always loved history, probably because I love stories and history is made up of stories. Also, ancient civilizations, how people lived and how we know about it. It's like a puzzle.

rivka- Guns, Germs and Steele has been on my list a long time, too. I meant to read The Coming Plague as well, because virology and infectuous diseases are another bizarre interest of mine.

I was also thinking of getting Presidential Courage: Brave Leaders and How They Changed America 1789-1989 Has anybody read that one?

ETA: Ew. The reviews are mostly awful. Bleh.

AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished "A Child Called It"
Amazing and devastating book. It's recorded as one of the most "gruesome cases of child abuse" in CA.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East, by Robert Fisk.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading "Ghosts of Vesuvius" by Charles Pellegrino. His underlying thesis is that volcanoes are responsible for the development of life and the destruction of (aspects) of civilisation. Sounds dry, but it's absolutely fascinating. And he uses Pompeii as a benchmark to measure where Western civilisation could have been by now if ancient cataclysmic eruptions such as Thera, which destroyed the Minoan culture and was 1000 times more powerful than Vesuvius and 100 times more powerful than Krakatoa, had not interrupted progress. (Vesuvius was 1000 time more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb.)
He then looks at the events of 9/11 and compares what happened there as the towers collapsed to what happened at Pompeii, in terms of volcanic collapse columns.
He also digresses on to all sorts of fascinating tangents.

I also just finished Peter Green's biography of Aleander, "Alexander of Macedon". Very readable and thoroughly enjoyable.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.