FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stop the HP spoilers, please. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stop the HP spoilers, please.
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I hoped not to need to say this, but out of courtesy to the readers of this board and the wishes of the author, please refrain from posting spoilers about the new HP book. It's one more day -- please just wait. You won't explode.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
SPOI---yeah, alright.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
THANK YOU PAPA!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
*tackle hugs papa j*

It's no fun lurking if you're scared to read the threads... ; )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't stop the signal!

I have a right to do as I please! Stick it to the man!

/adolesent fit

My lips are sealed for 24 hours [Smile]

For any WOW players I would suggest staying away, that place is notorious for Harry Potter spoilers in general/trade/guild chats, or even just a /yell.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Papa!!
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there currently any HP spoilers in threads that aren't clearly marked as containing HP spoilers? If so, could the titles of them be edited to include a spoiler warning? There are a lot of threads I haven't been opening for fear of contamination.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been avoiding most of the board. I've been avoiding most of the internet. the NEW YORK TIMES spilled the beans. People suck.

Fortunately, I have thus far been successfull. Buffy fan fiction sites do not have Harry Potter spoilers.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Wait, NYT spoiled harry potter? Good lord.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, PJ.

I think my life is going to become somewhat like Chris Bridges described in his column after tomorrow -- I'm not going to be able to read the book right away, and I think I might have to stay indoors with the TV, radio, and Internet off until I finish the book. Contact with any children above the age of 4 will naturally have to cease.

I sure hope that Hatrack remains HP-spoiler free after tomorrow, as well (except in clearly labeled threads, of course).

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Wait, NYT spoiled harry potter? Good lord.

Sort of. They posted a review of the book that gave away certain information. I heard that they mentioned how many characters died and what 'Deathly Hallows' means. Not horrible, but still a bit more information than people want before reading it for themselves.

I wonder what time the book will be delivered to me house tomorrow? [Dont Know]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
aside from how irritating it is that people are letting the cat out of the bag early, I just think this whole thing is so exciting! We (the fans) are making history tonight and tomorrow, as millions of people stop their lives to sit down and read a book. I think it's neat that it's happening at more or less the same time for everyone (within the next week or so) and I love the fact that avoiding spoilers is like starring in our own versions of The Bourne Identity. [Smile] It just makes the actual reading that much more satisfying.

Have fun everyone! Pötterdämmerung is at hand!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pötterdämmerung
*LAUGH*
I don't know if you made that up or not - I've been so avoiding anything Harry Potter to avoid the spoilers that I wouldn't know - but it made me laugh out loud.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Was this that big of a problem? I only noticed one thread where people actually discussed spoilers, and it was very clearly marked.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Given that the story would need to be obtained illegally for people to discuss the book prior to its street date and this IS a famous published author's website, I can see how this might be in OSC's best interest.
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
The main reason (but not the only reason, of course) I read book 7 early was to avoid having it spoiled for me, the way book 6 was -- so I can understand the desire to keep spoilers off the board.

I would argue, though, that those of us who did read it and have discussed it here have been a model of good behavior, in terms of spoiling the book for other people.

I suspect that what Rowling is talking about when she asks people not to spoil the book, is the phenomenon of malicious spoilers -- of people trying quite purposefully to ruin it for other readers.

And that has not been occurring here.

It feels like there's a overreaction going on here. But we were in a gray area, and often-times in gray areas, it's better to err on the side of caution.

So, okay.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
Given that the story would need to be obtained illegally for people to discuss the book prior to its street date and this IS a famous published author's website, I can see how this might be in OSC's best interest.
That.... is a good point.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: "HP thread for people who've finished the book" -- that doesn't have the word SPOILERS in it, but is it clear enough?

And as far as legalities are concerned, I paid for the book. There are other people who've read the book early without having done anything illegal (because of shipping errors and whatnot), so reading it early can't be in and of itself illegal. Reading it without paying for it might be, but like I said, I paid for it.

If it comes to my door tomorrow, I'll have to sit there all day without being able to open it, because Scholastic chose to release it on a Saturday. In fact, according to this blog entry, they are requiring booksellers (even in Israel) to start selling the book on Saturday. So excuse me if I'm not very sympathetic about the pre-release issue. I haven't posted spoilers except inside a clearly marked thread.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I think morally, Lisa, you're okay if you've paid for the book. I think the legal issue lies not in having read the book early, but in having obtained an illegal copy in order to do so--which is unverifiable, which I think is a major component of why OSC & PJ are cracking down.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Question: "HP thread for people who've finished the book" -- that doesn't have the word SPOILERS in it, but is it clear enough?

Of course.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
quote:
Pötterdämmerung
*LAUGH*
I don't know if you made that up or not - I've been so avoiding anything Harry Potter to avoid the spoilers that I wouldn't know - but it made me laugh out loud.

I'll second that. "Pötterdämmerung" is incredibly clever! I can't tell you how much I wish I'd thought of it.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it comes to my door tomorrow, I'll have to sit there all day without being able to open it, because Scholastic chose to release it on a Saturday. In fact, according to this blog entry, they are requiring booksellers (even in Israel) to start selling the book on Saturday. So excuse me if I'm not very sympathetic about the pre-release issue. I haven't posted spoilers except inside a clearly marked thread.
What if you sorta opened your front door and I "accidentally" kicked it inside your doorway?

quote:
"Pötterdämmerung"
My German vernacular is lacking, can somebody explain this to me?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
My German vernacular is lacking, can somebody explain this to me?

Götterdämmerung (which translates as “Twilight of the Gods”, a common mistranslation of “Ragnarök”, which is the battle between the Asir and the Giants (and the end of the world)in Norse myth, is the final opera in Wagner’s Ring of the Nibelung cycle.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, my Harry Potter thread has no content or spoilers. I just thought this forum needed another Harry Potter thread.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

Folks, I'm not claiming wrongdoing by anyone. This is just a simple request. I didn't think it was a big one.

And as to spoilers being clearly marked, well, that doesn't work for a moderator who has to read the whistled posts, now, does it. I'm not blaming anyone, posters or whistlers, and frankly it's not a huge issue for me. But really, is it that hard to wait one more day to talk about something?

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

It definitely does suck that you're finding yourself exposed to spoilers when people whistle them, Pop; I wish that weren't the case.
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
Folks, I'm not claiming wrongdoing by anyone. This is just a simple request. I didn't think it was a big one.

And as to spoilers being clearly marked, well, that doesn't work for a moderator who has to read the whistled posts, now, does it. I'm not blaming anyone, posters or whistlers, and frankly it's not a huge issue for me. But really, is it that hard to wait one more day to talk about something?

Who's arguing?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So excuse me if I'm not very sympathetic about the pre-release issue.
Well, it sort of sounds like arguing to me, just a little bit.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
But some people like spoilers……….
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Frankly, I'm not even sure why reading a book you've paid for and then discussing it in a clearly-marked thread is a whistle-able offense.

But I'm happy to abide by Papa's decree, as I'm sure Lisa is (I don't see anyone defying the request), even though I think it's rather silly and, as I've said, an overreaction on the part of whoever it upset.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If the express wishes of the author don't matter to you, then there isn't anything to argue about.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel sorry for the fans who didn't want to find things out ahead of time, and I agree that J. K. Rowling and everyone else have the right to keep information secret for any reason or none; but J. K. Rowling has enough money now that I don't feel bad about any supposed "artistic" injuries she's suffered.

(Sorry for the small part I played in this. But all I did was ask a question about Book 7; I didn't post anything.)

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Perhaps Rowling is not persuaded by her wealth to no longer care about her art.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
She just wants the fans to have a suprise.
Dang...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what does Rowling's wealth have to do with anything? She's been creating this story for years and doesn't want people ruining the climax by blabbing. I don't think she's all too worried about it hurting sales. The book's already breaking records on preorders alone.
Anyway, I heard that the Toronto Star went so far as to name characters that die (though under a spoiler warning)...

It's sad that people have so little patience or will power.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to read the story and be suprised, but it is really, really hard to not click on the spoiler warnings. I have just enough will power to avoid actively seeking them out.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
What if you sorta opened your front door and I "accidentally" kicked it inside your doorway?
We have an eruv here, so I can carry stuff outside, but I can't open the box, so it'd be kind of pointless. There's also an issue of acquisition, which is something we can't do on Shabbat. Yes, I've paid for it, but Jewish law doesn't always recognize that as creating a change in ownership until I've actually taken position of a thing. It's why we can't give or get gifts on Shabbat, among other things.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
If the express wishes of the author don't matter to you, then there isn't anything to argue about.

In this particular case, they don't. She's okay with Orthodox Jews having to wait an extra day, and I'm okay with reading it ahead of time.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm lucky enough to have not been spoiled yet...though I am worried about it happening. I will be out of town on sat...and my book will be delivered to my house, and I won't get it until monday.

The thing is sitting in the post office right now...but I can't read it!

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

In this particular case, they don't. She's okay with Orthodox Jews having to wait an extra day, and I'm okay with reading it ahead of time.
I don't think that anyone believes it's wrong to read the book early if you ordered it and are lucky enough to receive it early. At that point it's your property and no one can tell you how to use it privately. Any moral or legal fault lies on the retailer who shipped it too soon. In fact, personally I don't find it morally wrong to read the online version if you have/will purchase the book anyway. (I won't do so myself though, solely because I think that it would spoil the experience of reading my own copy that I can physically hold). The whole issue here is that spoilers shouldn't be discussed, printed, or posted publicly before the official release.

BTW, I've heard that the official rationale for the Saturday releases of HP books is so that kids can stay up to go to midnight release parties and/or spend the entire Saturday reading. I guess no one really gave any thought to Orthodox Jews, but then, you're always going to be screwing over someone.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Papa. [Smile]

quote:
quote:

Because two wrongs do make a right! Although I'm not convinced that my being unable to read HP7 until motza"sh qualifies as a "wrong" on her part.

If that were really your reasoning, why didn't you wait until today and read it? Or print it out and read it on Shabbos?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so mad. I just learned of a Harry Potter spoiler from a column headline on ESPN.COM! It wasn't a major spoiler, but after staying in the dark for so long it's upsetting to be spoiled 3 hours before I start reading.

Having a stupid series called Who's Now is one thing, ESPN, but spoiling Harry Potter has obliterated the line between sports news and pop culture news.

EDIT: As a camp counselor, I am in a race against time to finish the book before work on Monday. The over/under for the time it takes one of my campers to spoil it for me is probably 10 minutes.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
When is it ok to discuss the book? It's been released now, and I've just finished it (the actual, bought copy) and I want to talk about it!
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] It's not even 9:00pm here! [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"...J. K. Rowling has enough money now..."

If money were the object rather than the completion of an artistic statement, JKRowling would have quit a long time ago. It isn't as if she could spend the fortune she'd already accumulated before starting BookIV.
If making more money were the object, she could have easily hired ghost/other writers to continue the series indefinitely ala StarTrek , StarWars , Dragonlance , etc.

[ July 21, 2007, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"If making more money were the object, she could have easily hired ghost/other writers to continue the series indefinitely ala StarTrek , StarWars , Dragonlance , etc."

Maybe she did? Maybe that's why there's such a change in the storytelling from the campy fun first 3 books to the more serious 4-7. And if her name's on it we would never know.

^ I don't actually believe that, just throwing it out there.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Just to be clear, I did NOT make up Potterdammerung. I completely stole it from someone else who probably stole it over on Livejournal. [Smile] I myself think it's hilarious.]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hansenj:
[Frown] [Frown] It's not even 9:00pm here! [Frown] [Frown]

Sorry. For some reason I had it in my mind it was a simultaneous release time, but given it was released here at 9.01 am (EST) that would still be mid-afternoon in most of the US, I guess not.

Guess that's one advantage of being in Australia!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

So yeah, go ahead now. Please continue to label the spoilers out of consideration for others. Thank you kindly.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn! Now I'm going to have to go and read the thing to find out what happens?

Oh, forget it... I'll wait for the movie.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.