FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter Thread for people who have read through chapter 28 but no farther

Author Topic: Harry Potter Thread for people who have read through chapter 28 but no farther
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 2/3 of the way through and have managed not to be spoilered so far. And I'm wanting to talk about the book with someone. I suppose it's too much to ask that someone would be up this time of night who had read exactly as far as I have? [Smile]

I'm sort of in fear of the sad sad chapter that's coming, the one that made J.K. Rowling howl when she wrote it. I'm really upset about Hedwig, and Dobby, and about them torturing Hermione. I'm upset at how many wizards are not fighting against you-know-who and the Death Eaters. How can they feel there is any sort of safety in that, I just can't imagine. I want that not to be true, that people will just go along to get along while things slide into that terrible a state, yet I'm all too afraid it is.

I want the story to be deeply satisfying at the end, and for the right thing to happen. I don't have any faith at all that it will. Yet I feel something of the comfort that Sam felt in the tower when he couldn't find Frodo, that there is beauty and purity and goodness higher and greater than anything that can ever be marred by darkness and evil.

For a while I thought the Harry Hermione shippers were going to be so thrilled, and it seems she threw them a sop but then dashed their hopes. When she told us that R.A.B. was Regulus Black I was like oh they just now realized that? Everyone else has known it forever. [Smile] The interplay between this world and that world is pretty funny, and I imagine her thinking of what various fan factions would think when the story takes this or that turn. She has led us all on a marvelous path, and it's been delightful and fun. I really dread the darkness ahead, though. I hope there is light in the darkness. Surely there is.

[ July 22, 2007, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
the more I think about it the more my heart hurts.

there's so many people attatched to these characters and this story. on the level of love and personal identity. people have given Rowling a lot of power over them.

I'd be careful about reading any threads including this one. people accidentally drop spoilers without knowing it.

Go it alone if you can.

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Pepek, I know what you mean and I hope she won't play us all false, but I trust her that she's going to make it as good as she possibly can. So let your heart be comforted. I think I'll follow your advice about the threads. I'll be finished today, so I can wait that long to talk about it. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Best line in the book so far, "I hate to break it to you but they might have noticed we broke into Gringott's." [ROFL]
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the 'clankers'.

It was nice to see them using psychology rather than magic. good touch.

[ July 22, 2007, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Pepek ]

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the title say until chapter 25 a little while ago? Darn, I was looking forward to this thread as I just finished chapter 25 and don't have time to read 3 more chapters.

I haven't read anything in this thread yet, but can you leave this thread at chapter 28 for a little while? I really, really want to discuss the book already and read what you guys think. [Smile]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

GaalDornick, sorry! I advanced it to the spot where I was reading. I will leave it be until you've caught up now.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, just finished chapter 28. I'm enjoying it alot. My only complaint would be that there really are alot of deus ex machinas.

*SPOILERS FROM BEFORE CHAPTER 28*
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
Like when Harry and the rest where hiding where the Quidditch World Cup was and Dean and Ted Tonks just so happened to walk by with two goblins and have goblins explain that the copy that Bellatrix took was a fake. That was extremely important information to find out and the way they found it out was extremely lucky. Unbelievably lucky, IMO. And there were a few others that I don't remember.

But those are just stupid nitpicks. Amazing story right now and I can't wait to finish it. I'll probably finish it tonight even though it's 1 AM and I have to wake up at 9 tommorrow [Big Grin] .

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I've finished now so I don't know what I can say safely on this thread. But I'm reading what you say, if that helps.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I am anticipating the "HP thread for people who want to describe the book in haiku"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Where were they when they overheard the goblin bit? It may have just been some place that seemed remote and unnoticeable to more than one person. Wasn't it a place one could catch fish?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read that far yet (and have skipped most of this thread) but I just want to say I'm up to the point of the fall of the Government. This is getting great! I'm totally wondering what this will mean for not just the magic using people but also Humanity at large. With the coup successful, the Minister dead, and his ruling Cabinet replaced or under mind control that means the military might of the Ministry is now lost and in fact turned against the forces of good. I think the fall of the Ministry is more horrible than any fall of Hogwarts could be, as Hogwarts might stand as a fortress it does not have the access to all the wizarding community nor the power to track the entire population like the Government. The Order of the Pheonix and other Hogwart's people should have allied themselves with the Ministry, even with its corruption, since the alternative is so much more horrible.

What we have now is the Dark Lord in command of all the powers of the Ministry and the people who can resist will be trapped in small bubbles around their homes that cannot keep out the Death Eaters for long.

Anyway, I'm off to read some more!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.