FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your on.

Author Topic: Your on.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me preface this by saying that it makes my brain hurt.

I got an advertisement with the last HP book from amazon.com for a series of products from Seagate.

Their slogan? "Your On."

Not "You're On", no. "Your On."

Now, I looked this up on Google, and found two people who said they contacted Seagate's PR department.

This person says that the PR department admitted that it was an error and would be fixed.

This person says that the PR department said it was deliberate. She got a specific message from the company that stated:

quote:
"Your On" is spelled this way to indicate that Seagate is your (possessive) access to being "on." In essence, Seagate = On.

This version ties the connection more closely to Seagate (as your access to being 'on') as opposed to the more traditional spelling of "You're On," which places the emphasis more closely on the consumer and away from Seagate itself.

This makes no sense to me.

Especially when I read the last line of their ad card: "It's the freedom of knowing wherever you are, whenever you need it, Your On."

That's like saying: "It's the freedom of knowing wherever you are, your couch."

Now, the Grammar Girl site said that it's marketing speak - and complaining about its grammar is akin to complaining about spelling errors in graffiti.

But, it still makes my brain hurt.

Anyone else have this reaction?

Edit: You really shouldn't spell "grammar" two different ways in the same sentence. [Blushing]

[ July 25, 2007, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My on?

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I might have to email them and tell them, "Your not getting any of my money."
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this, too, and was SO CONFUSED.

Thank you for illuminating.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Let me preface this by saying that it makes my brain hurt.

>_<

GAH!

Ditto. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Finally someone else who got mad at that. I emailed them a while back, but I don't think I was nice enough about it to warrant a response.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Good. Afraid this might have been an onanism thread. But I don't have an on, so I didn't think that could be it.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battler03
Member # 10453

- posted      Profile for Battler03           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody else noticed that posters who complain about grammar or spelling...actually, themselves, commit errors in grammar or spelling in their posts?

Hey, OP, I'm not trying to call you out. I've done it myself. I'm just saying, it amuses me.

There's nothing more hilarious than some dude saying "They mis-punctuated the word 'its.' Everybody knows that erlaksdj0j ""!@_$(#)$*&*)SDA"

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*peer*

Battler03, are you an alt for Tom Davidson?

Battler03
Member # 10453

- posted      Profile for Battler03           Edit/Delete Post 
Who is that? An author?
Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

For a more serious answer: everyone is guilty of typos, brain farts, and other mistakes. That's not a sign of hypocrisy or anything, though. That's just being human. The fact is, though, there are people who don't know how to use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation and don't care, people who don't know but are willing to take steps to improve, and people who by and large use these elements correctly. I greatly prefer reading the posts of people in the latter two groups.

ADDED: I don't, as a general rule, comment on the writing errors of other posters. But I do happen to think I write pretty well myself.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a billboard on the interstate that I pass every day driving home. It's for a church and it says, in huge letters:

Are you making an EMPACT?

EMPACT is huge, four foot tall letters at least.

Now, what you should know is that it's an acronym - the E is for evangelism, the M for missions, etc. Okay, fine I can see that - but there is nothing on the sign that indicates it's an acronym. I only found out because I was laughing about it with a group of friends and one of them happened (though I didn't know it before) to attend that church and explained it to me. I told her it made me feel better, but there were still thousands of people who drive by the sign every day thinking it's just wrong. If I were the marketing genius who did this, my sign would be like this:

Are you making an
E.M.P.A.C.T.?

That way, people driving by don't think that the church is full of people who cannot spell "impact."

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is a billboard on the interstate that I pass every day driving home. It's for a church and it says, in huge letters:

Are you making an EMPACT?

EMPACT is huge, four foot tall letters at least.

[ROFL] [Razz]

My lungs rejected all air that entered into them for at least a minute.

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I will admit that I've been avoiding this thread because of the title. I'm glad to know that it was intentional.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
My on?

[Roll Eyes]

No, it's supposed to use the subjective pronoun.

Stop being so negative.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Battler03, I'm not sure who "OP" is. I'm not sure exactly what grammar/spelling gaffe you are pointing to, either. [Confused]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You typed "grammer" at least once. But no biggie. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

LOL. So I did. Whoops!

You know, I even reread it a couple times and missed it - so much for that time spent as an editor. [Blushing]

Though, I'm still not sure who OP is... [Confused]

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a (approximately) 50-foot high permanent sign for a car dealership that I pass occasionally. the name on the sign is "Brian's Auto's". yes. There is an apostrophe in the second word.

Augggh!

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

Though, I'm still not sure who OP is... [Confused]

Original Poster.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's more like.. Your [turn]on.. except non-sexual.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

OP = Original Poster?

Seems pretty impersonal, no?

Ah well.

As for bizarre handwritten signs:

- A car for sale at a gas station around the corner from me had a painted sign on the window that read: "Run's Good"

- A Baltimore City bridge had a painted sign that read: "Baltimore - The City that Reads". That is, until someone spray-painted a "B" before the word "Reads" - seemingly hoping it to read "The City that Breeds". However, since he apparently didn't read so well, it ended up as "The City that Breads." Then again, maybe the tagger just has a rye sense of humor...

Salsa
Member # 10530

- posted      Profile for Salsa           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, so would it make sense if someone was saying "I have many ons"? What would it mean there? If it's a possessive noun then the...eh...what?
Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.