FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sweet Star Wars story

Author Topic: Sweet Star Wars story
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anybody else knew this story, but I thought I'd share.

Katie Johnson was the daughter of a Star Wars fan, Albin Johnson, founder of the 501st Legion, a group of fans who dress up and do charity work.

Katie had brain cancer and passed away at seven.

But the years leading up to that were filled with a lot of support from around the world. Some of that is chronicled here, including a get-well video from George Lucas and Hayden Christiansen some japanese fans arranged.

The R2-D2 builders club also sent over a specially made, fully functional R2-KT just for her. It was like an R2-D2 only pink instead of blue. She loved it.

The R2-KT has since become a bit of an icon, and even went to the big convention they had in LA this year.

Now, Hasbro is making a Limited edition figure of the little robot, and giving the proceeds to the Make A Wish Foundation.

Anyways, I'd never heard this story before. Thought it was sweet and wanted to share.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great story. I never even thought of trying to build an R2. I am an engineer and a robot fan.

Ok, I know what my winter project will be now.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow this was great! Thank you for sharing it!

Edit* It was great to see people coming together to bring happiness to Katie and trying to help a father/family help in anyway that they can. It is always heartbreaking to see one taken away so early.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a really sweet story. [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.