FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! I don't know what kind of external hard drive to buy!

Author Topic: Help! I don't know what kind of external hard drive to buy!
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
So I dropped my external hard drive about two inches, and now it is broken forever, so I've decided to buy another. This one was a gift and I only had it for about six months, so I don't know how good a hard drive it was.

Basically what I want is something with 100 GB or more that won't die on me after a year. I have no idea what brands are good, though I've heard from someone that Western Digital hard drives tend to perish after you have them for a little while. Any thoughts on which hard drive I should use?

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a WD drive fail on me, although i have heard it happens. As with any hard drive, make sure you back up really important data (on DVD or whatever works for you).

Are you trying to buy another hard drive to put in the current enclosure you have, or are you trying to buy a whole new set? Either way, you can probably find some good deals right now. I like Seagate drives myself, but I've never had a problem with a Western Digi or a Maxtor.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://newegg.com is your friend.

Yeah, if your enclosure is still all right, it might make sense to use that. Of course, the enclosure can matter for how damage-resistant the external drive is, so you might want to replace it even so.

How do you use the drive? Do you carry it around much, or does it just sit there? If you carry it around, would one smaller than the one you had be significantly more convenient?

Actually, which drive did you own?

Was the drive firewire or USB?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

I had an Acomdata drive, 40GB. The enclosure is all screwed up and broken and wouldn't be big enough for the new drive anyway, I imagine. We had to take it apart to see if the drive inside was fixable (but it wasn't). It was a USB drive.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a 160GB Maxtor hard drive for about 2 and 1/2 years, and it has yet to cause me any grief.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
Any drive from Western Digital, Maxtor, or Seagate should be fine. (Though right now, my preference is for Seagate.)

If you are using an external drive due to a lack of room inside your computer and not due to a need for portability, you may want to consider getting a network-attached storage device. There are several consumer level devices with good performance and reliability (provided they are left alone). You also get the ability to access the drive from multiple computers. If data reliability is really important, you can get a multi-drive device with RAID. (Though this is still not a substitute for regular back ups.)

If you need very high performance from your drive, make sure to get a firewire drive. Even though USB 2.0 has a higher theoretical bandwidth, real world performance is usually higher for firewire due to its DMA support and a few other factors.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

First make sure your computer can handle firewire, of course. Then verify if it takes 4 pin (the port on your computer would be smaller than a USB port, and with a little crimp in it) or 6 pin (about the same size or a little larger than a USB port, with one end rounded) firewire.

Again, the primary consideration should be how you will use the drive. If portability is a concern, a smaller, more impact-resistant hard drive is probably better. If you give us more details, we can provide specific drive recommendations.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I had big problems with Maxtor. I think I had like three 40GB Maxtor drives that died and had to be sent in and were subsequently replaced with refurbished units. However, your luck is your own.

In any case, I would note that there isn't really a distinct Maxtor anymore. The whole company got bought by Seagate.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

Portability isn't a huge concern, as it'll probably stay mostly in one spot, but I'm careless, so impact-resistance would be nice. My laptop is three years old and doesn't have firewire connections at all.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get a MyBook.

I have three Maxtor drives and have yet to have any issues with them.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
If durability and portability are a concern, might I recommend an external drive based on a laptop harddrive rather than a standard desktop harddrive? They're smaller and all laptop harddrives are inherently impact-resistant. Most drives with the 2.5" form factor are laptop harddrives.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

I got a Seagate. I hope it doesn't die. Is Seagate okay? Do we have a consensus that Seagate is a good one to get?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Heh, seagate is fine.
Nato
Member # 1448

I've had more troubles with the cables connecting my Seagate drives than with the drives themselves. [Smile] One time my dad suspsected his Seagate drive had gone bad, but it was really just a bad SATA cable.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have an opinion on separate power source or not? And with a fan or without? I thinking of buying an external hard drive as well, and these are questions that have occurred to me.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought an external case plus a large Seagate hard drive, about a month ago. It's worked well, and yes, it uses an external power supply (rather bulky) and has a fan. I was more concerned about heat, warranty, and drive capacity and less concerned about portability and size.

Anyway, yeah, Seagate works fine. Plus you get more warranty. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Seagate external drive from Buy.com last month and I'm happy with it. The following webpage of current deals and sales on drives helped me find a good price, $50 for 160 GB, with free shipping.
edit to add: It was a good price for a Windows 98 compatible drive--later versions of Windows support cheaper drives.
http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?sduid=0&f=9&daysprune=7&icon=41&order=desc&sort=threadstarted

[ July 28, 2007, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

Whether or not you want a separate power supply depends on how portable you want the drive to be. If you want to take it with you and your laptop to places, you should get a 2.5" drive with no extra power supply, but if it's just going to sit around at home most of the time, you could probably get more bang for your buck with a 3.5" drive in an enclosure with a power supply.

I had one with a fan and I ended up disabling the fan because it was loud. The drive never got too hot inside that case, and sometimes I'd have it on for days at a time. (I'm not saying you shouldn't be careful with the heat, especially on hot days.)

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a 500G external drive for about $100 or less these days. Check out buy.com or newegg, as fugu mentioned earlier.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw a TB drive on buy.com for $239. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.