FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Horton Hears a Who

Author Topic: Horton Hears a Who
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer for Blue Sky's bigscreen adaptation of Dr. Seuss's famous story...

It's been years since I read the original story. Did Horton come off as a...well...hallucinating drunk in the old version? [Razz]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No. But he's supposed to be perceived as a dangerous, hallucinating drunk by everyone but the readers.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I don't think Jim Carrey can walk that fine a line.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and no. The kangaroo thought he was a hallucinating drunk. Horton always struck me as an innocent and sweet, mostly very naive character. The kangaroo, by contrast, was a bouncing cynic with sadistic tendencies.

I didn't know they were making it into a movie. I love the graphics! Very Suessesque. I hope it does well. Maybe then they'll make a Yurtle the Turtle movie, or a Sneeches movie... or tell the adventures of Bartholemew Cubbins.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Blue Sky normally does very nice animation. Their Bunny short is still strikingly beautiful, even five years later.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
LOVE the graphics.

HATE the Voices (already!)...and I'm a huge Carrell fan.

Sad. The original Horton cartoon remains one of my favorites [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. The voice talent is almost perfectly wrong.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd support a motion to remove the "almost" from your statement. [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Horton did what now?
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I was disappointed that they didn't even give June Foray a bit part. [Frown]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

June Foray is a legendary voice talent who could probably challenge the late Mel Blanc and win for "most characters voiced".

She was involved in many of the old Chuck Jones Seuss specials. I thought it would be a nice touch to include her, even in a cameo role.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Not interested in it at all, at this point.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
They need to recast Horton. Horton should be the one serious character in the movie. bad bad choices. [No No]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.