FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College Overnight Visits (Who do I talk to first???)

Author Topic: College Overnight Visits (Who do I talk to first???)
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I'm wanting to set up overnight visits at several colleges for this fall, and I've got the numbers to the professors of my prospective major (Music Performance - Piano), my area's Admissions counselor, and then the number for 'Admissions'.

Anyway, two of the schools are out of state, and I wanted to pack in as much as I can in one visit, including an interview with the admissions counselor, and a free lesson (Or at least an interview) with the professors of piano, and I'd like to sit in on a class (Although I'm not too concerned about that particular aspect).

Anyway, I don't know who to contact first. Should I call the professor and ask them whether or not that were available a specific date before setting up the visit? Should I call the admissions office first, and then set up the free lesson and interview with the admissions counselor? Does it even matter? Am I totally overshooting and contacting people I shouldn't contact?

I don't want to seem pushy, but, at the same time, I want to show initiative. Not only that, but some people have only listed an email address as a means of contact, whereas others have sent me their card in the mail with their cell-phone and home-phone numbers. So, if I contact somebody first via email, I have to wait for a response before setting up the other part of the visit (Or the visit itself).

I'm not making sense, and I know it. Sorry.

Did anybody understand any of that? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the order matters, as long as you're already scheduled for the visit prior to making any calls to professors.

Because of the potential for scheduling conflicts, I'd call whichever professors/instructors/people whose time you want the most first.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I stayed overnight in the dorms and was offered the chance to sit in on a class and visit with a professor (who ended up being my academic advisor) when I visited the school I chose. I'm pretty sure you can set all of that up through admissions.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Okie dokie... Just wanted to check. Against my better judgement, I'm getting nervous about the college thing.
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

As it turns out, the majority of the colleges that I called are very unused to scheduling overnight visits so far in advance. In fact, I think it's pretty safe to say that I was the *first* person that they'd ever known that called them in July setting up an overnight for September.

Oh well. I could have done worse things.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.