FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The best action movie of the year goes on sale tomorrow.

Author Topic: The best action movie of the year goes on sale tomorrow.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
HOT FUZZ...the brilliant, unashamedly loopy tribute to the "Renegade Cop" films of the 80s and 90s.

I can guarantee it's much better than any of the action films you saw this summer.

I can also guarantee that it's the first and last time that "By the Power of Greyskull" is a gut-bustingly funny line. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Great movie.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely hilarious.

AND I even think it was better than Shaun of the Dead.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AND I even think it was better than Shaun of the Dead.
if that's the case, then i've just gotta see it.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It was awesome, but it wasn't better than Transformers for pure action film goodness. Funnier, but a little slow in parts. 4 out of 5 stars.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I found Shaun of the Dead only mildly interesting.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
but it wasn't better than Transformers for pure action film goodness.

Anthony Anderson munching on donuts and shrieking about how much police scare him taking up -much- more screentime than the Autobots and Decepticons is not "pure action film goodness". Gratuitous masturbation jokes and an Autobot threatening to kill a harmless puppy are not pure action film goodness. ROBOT WATERSPORTS are -not- pure action film goodness. [Angst]

Fie upon it! Fie upon Transformers! Buy Hot Fuzz!

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I still wish the priest had said "Via con Dios" before he started shooting. It would have been just like the Monsignor in King of the Hill. I let it slide cause the Hot Fuzz guys are British and have probably never heard of King of the Hill.

The movie was so amazingly funny. I love it!

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Shaun of the Dead is funnier if you've watched a lot of zombie movies. Have you watched a lot of zombie movies?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well there you go!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
For Simon Pegg fans out there:

Run, Fatboy, Run

Directed by David Schwimmer
Written by Michael Ian Black

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen quite a few zombie movies, but I liked Hot Fuzz better than Shaun of the Dead.

*shrug*

EDIT - I should add that I enjoyed both movies immensely.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:

Shaun of the Dead is funnier if you've watched a lot of zombie movies. Have you watched a lot of zombie movies?
I found Shaun of the Dead kinda dumb precisely because I have seen Zombie movies and I am sick to undeath of them.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well there you go!
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Hot Fuzz. I bought it and watched it last night and fell over laughing. The outtakes were hilarious, including the Nicholas/Danny montage. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread encouraged me to go rent it. I wasn't impressed. I chuckled a few times. That's all.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Well there you go!

:: laugh ::
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Er. I think Shaun of the Dead may be the only Zombie movie I've seen, and I still love it.

I bought Hot Fuzz yesterday, but haven't watched it yet.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't even seen it. And I'm tempted to buy it despite that. Because I loved Shaun of the Dead, and I love almost all British humor.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Shaun of the Dead a lot. I totally expected to hate it, but it was very good. Almost great, even.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Fuzz was more like a spoof of Agatha Christie mysteries/horror films than a send up of action films. Worth a watch though but definately NOT what it's been marketed as.

For that look to "Team America: World Police."

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a huge fan of Simon Pegg's series "Spaced" from the BBC years back. Classic show, hilarious british geek humor.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Team America, on the other hand, holds very little interest for me.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it last night. Absolutely brilliant.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw it just now.
Awesome!
Simon is a sexy man. [Wink]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought it and watched it twice. I love it. *chuckles* It's a great movie.

I didn't get to see it at the cinema because it wasn't showing here. *shakes fist at Hollywood*

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
<< big fan of both Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz

The important thing in my mind to realize when watching Hot Fuzz is that it's really not much of a roll on the floor comedy. It's largely a good action/cop movie but with wry jabs at the genre throughout.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.