FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Feisty lizard

Author Topic: Feisty lizard
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, that sounds like a band or a production company (no worse than Bad Robot or Mutant Enemy, really).

Tova has been asking for a pet for forever. We don't really want a pet. I've had cats, and I like cats, but I don't have the patience for cats. Dogs are slaves, and I can't respect them.

We were kind of hoping she'd go for a fish. But when we got to the store on July 4, the fish became a lizard. An Egyptian Uromastyx, to be precise. His name is Scratchy. She named him that because he was scratching on the box all the way home.

The main reason we went for the lizard was that you can't really pick up a fish and hold it. I mean, I guess you can. Once. But we were thinking more long term. And since this little guy is likely to live for either 12 or 30 years (depending on the literature we've found), that's long term.

They told us at the store that these lizards are very friendly and good with children. But 4 days after we got him, he started shedding. And didn't want to be touched. And now, he pretty much runs and hides whenever we go near the tank. Certainly if we get near him. Which is kind of sad.

We took him to the vet yesterday, and he explained that in the wild, anyone picking Scratchy up would be getting ready to eat him. So I explained to Scratchy that he wasn't kosher (and the vet actually said, "Though I guess you could get a rabbi to bless him" -- I never cease to be amazed at how many people think rabbis "bless" food to make it kosher), but it didn't seem to help.

The vet said it would take a little more time. And that Scratchy was feisty for a Uromastyx. He didn't seem to think it would be a big problem, but I'm a little concerned.

Does anyone here have any familiarity with desert lizards? As pets; not as meals. <grin>

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
They're related to the Lizard People, who helped the Mormons dig all those tunnels underneath Utah.

Then the Mormons began eating their babies, and the Lizard People have been in hiding ever since.

Come out, my scaly brothers! We have moderated our appetites!

Truly, we have...

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

- posted      Profile for Hookt_Un_Fonix   Email Hookt_Un_Fonix         Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is an easy one to deal with. Believe it or not reptiles have personalities and deep rooted trust issues. You are larger, your child is larger, so you have to reasure the Uromastyx that you have no intention of eating it. This coudl take some time, but once it is accomplished you will have a loving caring addtion to your family.

I recomend sticking to the vegatbale based diet. When you feed Scratchy, linger in the enclose with a hand. Do not try to pet intially but let him get used to seeing your face and hands while he eats.

Then as time progress's you can pick him up. He may be a bit jumpy at first but hold him often until he gets used to you, and then it will be an old hat for him.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
And now from the land of double-takes: when I first saw your thread topic, I thought it said "Fertility Lizard."
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
No reptile likes to be touched when it's shedding; that's an uncomfortable process and always makes them cranky. No advice to offer besides that though.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
(psst... anyone have a recipe for a good lizard BBQ rub? Or maybe a marinade?)

Lisa - It sucks that Tova's new pet is being anti-social [Frown] . Have you confirmed from sources other than the pet store that this breed of lizard is supposed to be "friendly"? (I only ask because pet stores have an inherent interest in people believing animals make good consumer items.) And what exactly does it mean for a lizard to be friendly?

Seriously though - how social is a lizard supposed to be? I think one of the reasons that dogs and cats are popular pets is that they have relatively highly developed social instincts. I wonder if lizards in the wild exhibit the hierarchy and territory sophistication that dogs and cats have. (And I'd love to hear more on why you consider dogs "slaves" - our dog can sucker us into doing almost anything, so my wife and I often feel like we're his slave [Big Grin] )

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Just hope that he isn't a lizard priest, or he could bless you and then it's on!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

- posted      Profile for Hookt_Un_Fonix   Email Hookt_Un_Fonix         Edit/Delete Post 
The sheding habits vary from reptile to reptile. My bearded dragon does become quiet the grump when he is sheding, and likes to lay in a warm moist place until all fo the offending skin escapes his body. Now my water dragon who normally not as found of being man handled by anyone, loves to be rubbed with olive oil when she sheds. It helps get the husk off.

As for the social habits of reptiles, it varies from species to species. I find that most of my reptiles are extremely socialable. I give them all out of enclosure time, and my monitor really loves to sit on the couch when we watch Eureka. I swear he knows when it is on, or ready to be on, because he scratches at his door about 10 to 15 minutes before it starts.

The Boas are more into hanging out on poker night and will alwasy look over your shoulder to see what cards you have. If only I could teach them how to talk, or signal me on who has the better hand.

I have to watch the iguana because wh like to visit when we have company, and has a love of all things cheese. Cheese balls can buy her adoration, but they are not to good for her. I don't think she cares.

I suggest you handle your littel fellow as often as you can. Pick him up every day and let him feel how safe adn warm he is with you. Bribe him with food, and if sheding makes him unhappy leve him be when he sheds. If he sheds to often thats a sign of deep stress, so be careful to watch for that.

You can also get "Scratchy" a friend, after reading up on their social habits. Perhaps they can learn to be social form each other. If your lucky you might even get a match set and a few clutches.

As for reptile recipes, most of them taste like chicken. Chicken is cheaper by the pound. I recommend you stick to Fosters Farm, its much mroe cost effective and the flavoring in deeper on the dark meat of the offesive foul. I eat chickens and eggs simply because any male of the species has the audacity to wake me up at sunrise every fricking day, deserves to have its young and kin eaten in revenge.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what Hookt says about them each having different personalities.

We've mainly had pet snakes, but also a few geckos. Some snakes seemed to very much enjoy being handled, others didn't.

I think if you give it some time, Scratchy will begin to trust. But don't do anything that would make him sense more fear or reason to distrust.

(try to treat it the same as if you had found a small half-wild kitten, and are trying to gentle it gradually)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
But grow your own have a higher feed-conversion efficiency than chicken.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
I think if you give it some time, Scratchy will begin to trust. But don't do anything that would make him sense more fear or reason to distrust.

See, that's my worry. I like what Hookt said about holding him frequently. The problem is that he hides under this large piece of bark. I had to move the bark away when I brought him to the vet yesterday, and I'd have to do that to touch him at all. And I'm concerned that doing so will make him feel like his safe place isn't safe at all. Which could make him feel even more on edge.

As far as the shedding thing is concerned, he's never 100% finished shedding. There are still specks here and there. But the bulk of it is done.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

Lisa,

You are going to have to remove the bark to get to him. Eventually he will grow accustomed to that, and you will not make him feel unsafe in his hiding area. Talk to your vet and or your local herp lover that knows about Uromastyxes perhaps you can win him over by helping him shed. I know a few of my herps love to be oiled up and tweezed. You have to make sure the oil and removing the dead husk won't hurt him though. I would offer suggestions on this but I have actually never taken care of a Uromastyx.

He will get used to you handling him, in time. You are going to cause him anymore stress then he already deals with by handling him. You can also get him more assured by taking him into a small empty room with you, or get him a lease. After holding him for awhile, and he clams a bit, you can start sitting him on your lap or shoulder. He still has some control their rahter then being held. The lease or the empty room woudl prevent him form hurting himself or getting lost.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you buy a harness&leash sized for lizards?
I did know some folks with short versions for use as live "gold chain with lizard" jewelry.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Hookt_Un_Fonix:
Lisa,

You are going to have to remove the bark to get to him. Eventually he will grow accustomed to that, and you will not make him feel unsafe in his hiding area. Talk to your vet and or your local herp lover that knows about Uromastyxes perhaps you can win him over by helping him shed. I know a few of my herps love to be oiled up and tweezed. You have to make sure the oil and removing the dead husk won't hurt him though. I would offer suggestions on this but I have actually never taken care of a Uromastyx.

He will get used to you handling him, in time. You are going to cause him anymore stress then he already deals with by handling him. You can also get him more assured by taking him into a small empty room with you, or get him a lease. After holding him for awhile, and he clams a bit, you can start sitting him on your lap or shoulder. He still has some control their rahter then being held. The lease or the empty room woudl prevent him form hurting himself or getting lost.

Thanks. You've been really helpful. I think we'll try that. Yesterday, I tried holding him while Tova offered him some leaves. He ate a couple from her hand, which I guess is a start. Tova was on cloud nine, anyway.
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

Thats more then a start! Taking food from your hand is huge sign of comfort. Thats awesome, and you will not be disappointed. If you can't tell I lean much more towards the reptiles then any other type of pet. I think they have so much more to offer, and their personalties really shine through.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thats more then a start! Taking food from your hand is huge sign of comfort. Thats awesome, and you will not be disappointed. If you can't tell I lean much more towards the reptiles then any other type of pet. I think they have so much more to offer, and their personalties really shine through.

I love reptiles, but not a one of them can replace the feeling of a fuzzy kitten taking a nap on your chest while you lay on the couch.

Or the relief that after a hard day at work and it seems everyone is annoyed at you that day your dog still looks like they might have a heart attack from the excitement of seeing you come home.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

bah,.. mammals (sorry could not resist)
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

I love reptiles, but not a one of them can replace the feeling of a fuzzy kitten taking a nap on your chest while you lay on the couch.

I totally agree with this.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I like animals that you have to take time to win over. They're so much more rewarding than the kind who are all ready to be won over by anyone. There are dogs and cats that do fall within the realm of the must-be-won-over camp, and those are the ones I favor, but I must say that the idea of gradually gaining the trust of a reptile sounds appealing. And think what a good experience it will be for Tova to learn to be patient and gentle and the reward of having the trust of little Scratchy!
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.