FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Parent's 25th Anniversary

Author Topic: Parent's 25th Anniversary
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents are coming up on their 25th wedding anniversary in October and I want to do something special for them. Ideally, I would like to go in with my two sisters and get one nice gift that the two of them can enjoy. Unfortunately, none of us have a whole lot of money to spare. My youngest sister has never even had a job and has little funds from which to draw. Combined, I think I would have to stay under $120 for my sisters and I to pitch in an approximate even amount (to make it fair).

Has anyone had any experience in buying good anniversary gifts or does anyone have any good ideas for a sentimental gift or a joint-use gift for a couple? I want to make it special, but I can't come up with any good ideas.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
A painting of them maybe? But I reckon and oil painting would cost a lot, it would be a great herloom or some sort of statue... I don't know...
Maybe something that has to do when how they met and the story of their lives

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a non-purchased but definitely sentimantal gift? Each of you could write up a memory (or several memories) of growing up in your family, or of them as a couple, and put it together with some photographs as a lovely tribute book.

Or $120 could buy them a dinner out at a fancy upscale restaurant. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't been to the theater in years, so I don't really know going rates, but you may be able to buy them tickets to a show, if you think they would enjoy that, or maybe to an evening on a river cruise or train ride if you live somewhere that offers that sort of thing.

I'm fairly lousy at knowing what to get people for gifts myself, so I don't have any actual practical ideas for items to buy.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm...That might be a good idea uprooted. They are empty-nesters this year and a night out on the town might be a good idea. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack! Sentimantal? Who typed that?

Let us know what you decide to buy/do for them! Noteworthy anniversaries are fun. I was just 12 on my parents' 25th anniversary, and I don't know if they did anything special at all, but I was able to help organize a nice little celebration for their 50th.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for a gift certificate to a really nice restaurant.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, I'll be in the same boat this October - empty nester parents celebrating their 25th. Though mine will be taking a trip to Hawaii, so I'm not sure how much impact any gift my sister and I give them could possibly have... I guess we should start thinking about that.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
You could do a combination of the sentimental and the dinner thing. If you make a reservation for a certain time, you could arrange for their server to present them with a "memory book" with pictures of them together, and letters or statements from friends and family. Then they could have a nice dinner looking at the book and reminiscing, and have a keepsake of the evening.

You could also spend more on the evening, but still keep things equal, by assigning your less prosperous siblings to find pictures, get quotes and letters from friends and family, and assemble the book. That way, those with money could contribute money, and those without could contribute their time.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.