FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Goodreads vs. LibraryThing (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Goodreads vs. LibraryThing
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on both goodreads and librarything, but I don't think I have the attention span to keep up with either. I really liked them both for a day or two, but entering in all of my books is such a massive task to undertake that I can't ever really get going.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
My goodreads URL is http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/321516 for them that's interested.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap! Crap! Crap! Just a heads up I accidentally sent two email invites to a few of you to add me to your good reads friends list. Be warned!

I'll sit down and list my library soon.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider and Lisa, I sent you both friend requests, under the name "Mel Cameron".

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Crap! Crap! Crap! Just a heads up I accidentally sent two email invites to a few of you to add me to your good reads friends list. Be warned!

None to me? *sniffle*

That's ok. I sent one to you.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent a bunch of friend requests to people on this thread.

I really like goodreads--I like seeing what other people are reading.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like book stalking!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently working -- meaning "I do another shelf every week or so, when I think about it" -- on getting my books into LibraryThing since I can use a CueCat to speed things along. When I'm close enough to finished I plan to export the list and import the whole thing into GoodReads, so expect a sudden influx of cabridges activity one of these months...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

None to me? *sniffle*

That's ok. I sent one to you.

Well I only sent them out to people I've emailed through the forums. I've just yet to use that particular medium of communication when it comes to you Rivka. Thanks for the invite.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're welcome. You know you need to respond to it, right? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
You're welcome. You know you need to respond to it, right? [Wink]

*snaps* Just kidding. I don't generally access my email from work, too many prying eyes and technically I'm allowed to but all the supervisors/managers get angry if I do. I hate job nuances like that.
rivka
Member # 4859

Gotcha. [Smile]
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister just stumbled onto Library Thing yesterday, and I guess up to 200 books is free, more than that is $10 for unlimited/1 year, $25 unlimited forever.

Does Goodreads have a similar cost/benefit structure? I'm interested in the facebook connectivity. I'm just not sure if I'm ready for facebook yet.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodreads is free.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I think Goodreads loses out for not giving me more information about itself in the investigative process. But maybe Library thing is no better. Let me look.

I see the 200 book limit as potentially beneficial. But I have a pretty different relationship to the whole publishing industry from a lot of people posting on this thread.

Library thing (which has a very nice tour, by the way) has a blog widget. Since I am mainly a blog user and having gotten really into networking sites, I think that's the direction I'll go. And I guess I'll find out how quick I run through 200 books and whether I want more.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing holding me up? After I input a ton of books into LibraryThing, I get obsessive about getting all the covers right. This... takes a while...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
i mostly didn't have a problem with covers in LibraryThing, except for where I didn't have an ISBN number. There were some other exceptions, but most of them had been uploaded by users already so it went quickly.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I seem to have obscure editions, then.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
and you have a lot more books. So even if it's the same percentage of missing covers, it'll take you x times the amount of time it took me anyway. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

How do you switch covers, besides deleting and re-entering?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Click on the cover -- or the empty spot where a cover goes - and select Change Cover. You'll be taken to the book page where you can either select one of the provided covers from Amazon (which will change your chosen ISBN number to that of the one you picked) or one of the user-provided covers. If neither is available, you can upload your own.

So far I've been able to Google for most of the missing ones.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Library thing (which has a very nice tour, by the way) has a blog widget.

So does GoodReads. It also has the change-covers option.

And as of this weekend, it has batch-sorting.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.