FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books, Films, Food and Culture (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Books, Films, Food and Culture
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm leaving on the 20th for Wolfsburg, Germany. I will be there just shy of a year, staying with a family I've never met before. I have to admit that I'm slightly nervous about leaving family, friends, and everything familiar- from the type of orange juice I drink to my morning radio station and everything in between- to just up and live in a foreign country. However, I'm waaay to exited about leaving to even consider any possible negatives.

But I do have a big problem. One that keeps me awake nights and gnaws incessantly on the edges of my sanity.

[cue dramatic music]

What do I bring them?

The family consists of a father, mother and two teenage girls, 19 and 17.

Books are a.) big and bulky and b.) written in English.
Film is a.) not playable on their players and b.) in English.
Food is a.) covered by bringing my favorite recipes and measuring cups but perhaps b.) not to their liking, especially the highly recommended and easily transported chocolates and various candies.
Leaving Culture. I'm baffled as how to pack it into my suitcase, given that a.) I wouldn't know where to start and b.) I have a fifty pound weight limit. I started with t-shirts from my school and some pictures of my hometown, but that's as far as it got.

Any ideas?

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
The best gift I think is a book about your homestate. Find a book of photos if you can. Since you're coming to them to learn about their culture, they'd also like to be able to understand yours.

Good luck in Germany -- I'm sure it's going to be an awesome year. How old are you? My friend just spent her junior year in Argentina, and she had just the most amazing time. Also, have you studied German before?

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
How exciting!

The t-shirts are a great idea.

I would still bring food, even if it ends up not being to their liking, because it is something they may not have a chance to taste otherwise. Since you are from Wisconsin, how about some tiny jars of mustard and some hard pretzels? (I know Wisconsin has a strong German heritage and that Germany has plenty of mustard and pretzels -- *grin -- but not these mustards and pretzels.)

A pictoral atlas of the US, large but thin (so can lie flat on the bottom of a suitcase for little weight)? You could talk to them about different regions of the country represented, if they are interested. Even in English, it would give a starting point for discussion. If you can't do the US, consider one for your area of the country. [as Tara notes above] This might be too expensive, though -- you don't want to make it be a burden for them to accept an expensive gift. But I have seen some for ~$10 at Barnes & Noble in the front section.

Can you check with them to see if their computer tech can play our CDs or DVDs? These might be more transferrable, and you could bring some classic US music (blues, jazz, even country or certain varieties of rock & roll).

How about some US postcards or a starter collection of US stamps? If you write to them after you come back, they can continue the collection.

Lastly, I'd think about taking some pictures of your family and pets, your school, interesting or meaningful (to you) spots in your hometown or current residence. Again, good starting points for discussion. [ahhh ... I see you already mentioned pictures of hometown. You might think about some other things meaningful to you, too -- small copy of family portrait or your prom photo, etc., things that incorporate meaningful events in your life to share.]

Have fun!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Maple syrup is very American. I don't know if they have such a thing in Germany, but I bet they'd like it.

Maybe they'd like to sample American versions of junk food -- Doritos, candy bars, root beer, breakfast cereals. I know that when Americans travel to other countries, they like to try the local versions of junk food, as well as the authentic gourmet fair.

And what could be more culturally American than junk food?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Take cheeeeeeese!

(Actually, if you bring any food, you should check to see what you are allowed to bring into the country.)

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not cheese. [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful about bringing food, a lot of food is not allowed to be transported between countries by individuals. I don't think it is so much a customs (as in taxes) issue as it is a health code issue.

Most of the travel books I've read suggest Pens. Go to the local office supply store and buy them each a nice Pen Set. True that's not a real exciting gift, but it is somewhat foolproof.

I agree, it is a difficult question, and I'm aware that I haven't helped much.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I stayed with a host family in Ireland. I brought them towels - and I never would have imagined how much they loved them! Towels!

Turned out that the fluffy, thick, plush towels that I brought are difficult to find or expensive - and they only had very thin ones.

It was the strangest thing. All I was trying to do was bring them something I knew they'd be able to use - rather than just something for show.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Most packaged candy/keepable food is importable in small amounts. Buy some quintessentially yummy American candy you know you can't get in Germany. When my family goes to Britain we stock up on our favourite chocolate and candy.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about any food regulations, but the only food item I'd bring is spices. I'm told they're very different in Germany and that many of the ones we use commonly here aren't available there. Some jars of spices tied up with ribbons would be lovely.

For the mother and daughters - beauty products. I'd get pretty baskets filled with smaller trial sizes of different scents. Also, a robe and slipper set is always nice.

Not sure about the dad - something to do with cars, maybe?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what your budget is like, but consider bringing a popcorn machine. Popcorn is HUGE internationally, and machines are 3 to 4 times more expensive than they are here in the U.S.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I really recommend against bringing candy, especially chocolate. All the Europeans I know think our candy sucks.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
I really recommend against bringing candy, especially chocolate. All the Europeans I know think our candy sucks.

But it does. Comparatively.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I agree. But if I'd said "our candy sucks" I'd have been giving my opinion, and what I think of American candy is a lot less relevant to this particular conversation than what I've heard Europeans say about it, ya know?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
I don't know what your budget is like, but consider bringing a popcorn machine. Popcorn is HUGE internationally, and machines are 3 to 4 times more expensive than they are here in the U.S.

Er, different electrical system. American machines won't work there without a transformer. And I wouldn't use a transformer on a machine with a heating element if I could avoid it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
I stayed with a host family in Ireland. I brought them towels - and I never would have imagined how much they loved them! Towels!

In a bizarre, coals to Newcastly turnaround, as a thank you to my Irish cousins for welcoming me, I sent my cousin some nifty wool and am knitting my eighty-something year old cousin a shawl.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Maple syrup is very American. I don't know if they have such a thing in Germany, but I bet they'd like it.

there's all brands of maple syrup here, but no maple candy. Bring them maple candy!

(I crave it since Christy sent me some once)

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
What Kama really means is "Bring some maple candy, and give it to me."

Reading between the lines. Important in inter-cultural interactions... [Big Grin]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[ROFL]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Have a blast in Germany. I was there for a year on exchange and had a great time - I met my wife there too, so watch out [Wink]

If anyone tells you that Jagermeister is a herbal tonic - cut and run...

As fo gifts for your family, I would go for T-shirts or local things, like pennants or college memorabila (books, keyrings etc.)

Food is a dodgey one, especially with customs in between, but if you brought me a jumbo pack of Maple Syrup sweets I'd be well chuffed*.

* That is a good thing. Just in case...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't get Dr. Pepper in Germany, if I remember correctly. They used to sell it there, but then stopped. If there's any chance that they'd like Dr. Pepper, a (small, like 20 oz.) bottle or two might be nice. I'd agree on the spices. That would also ensure that you can actually make your favorite recipes.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe take some mexican type dried chillies?

I know here (Australia) it is almost impossible (and where not impossible, extremely expensive) to get proper smoked chipotles and the like.

Or - David Hasselhoff! Germans love the Hoff. [Big Grin]
( See? )

I think perhaps the best thing you could do is bring them stuff that is distinct from your town/your area/your life. That way they get to share a bit of your culture (more than just a candy bar) just as you share theirs.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut butter! I don't know about Germany, but you can't get it in a lot of European countries and if you can, it's expensive.

Along the same note, some sort of peanut butter chocolate candy like Reese's.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

I think a lot of these things are excellent ideas on what to bring Americans in Europe (like me), or Europeans who have been exposed to American products enough to miss something they can't get at home (like Kama, or my husband), but experience tells me that if your host family doesn't already have a strong relationship to, say, Dr. Pepper, they're not going to be that impressed. Just like my family totally wouldn't get how excited I would be to find Rauch iced green tea in Arkansas. Know what I mean?
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I see it more as something new to try that I couldn't get where I am. For me, it's not about the oh this is so cool factor as it is about the this is what someone from another place really likes and wants me to try. If someone brought me soda or whatever from a European country that I couldn't get here I'd be interested in trying it.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

kojabu, true. I was just thinking how in my experience people are totally not impressed by X candy or soda or whatever (see comments above about how American chocolate supposedly sucks). They ARE impressed, however, when I make them chicken and dumplings and say "This is a specialty from my home country." So the evidence is mixed, I guess. [Smile]
guinevererobin
Member # 10753

- posted      Profile for guinevererobin           Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest bringing stuff that's from your hometown. When I stayed with host families in Austria and Poland, I brought them a) salt water taffy, b) Thousand Islands dressing (I'm from the 1000 Islands area in NY, where it was invented, weird as bringing salad dressing may sound), and c) postcards from NY. I was in high school... that's what I could handle on my allowance. [Smile]

In terms of bringing American culture with you... I think it's hard to know beforehand exactly what it is you're going to miss. Some things I adapted to easily: Nutella on a continental roll for breakfast was a great replacement for Poptarts. But I came back with a fierce yen for chili. (What can I say, my world is structured around food). Really, it's the little differences that make it interesting, and the little differences that will make you miss the US.

You'll miss things about Germany a lot too when you leave, though. [Smile] That's so awesome, to be spending a year there (my exchange program was just for a month over the summer). Have a great time! And eat some Mozartklugen! (best candy ever!)

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

quote:
What can I say, my world is structured around food
A non-American friend once asked our American friend and me what we most missed about America. After we'd spend about three minutes listing bagels, cream cheese, raspberry mochas, Philly cheese steak, Skittles, root beer, etc., with barely a mention of anything non-perishable, the non-American asked, "What is it with Americans and food???" We couldn't answer - but it's true. We're obsessed. [Smile]
Kama
Member # 3022

oh, but food is just the most easily missed thing when you're away. i bet i'd be naming food too if someone asked me what I miss about Poland.
aiua
Member # 7825

I'm 17, just graduated from high school, and will be a senior in high school again this year. It's easier this way, don't have to worry about transferring credits and losing scholarships and whatnot. And yes, I've been studying the language for four years- almost with a private tutor as the class consisted entirely of myself and a close friend.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I especially like the ideas about postcards and picture books- I was at Schwartz's the other day and found a book of Milwaukee landmarks as portrayed by students of the local art school.
I don't know anyone who doesn't like Reeses, so I shall be packing a few of those. If they don't like them, I think I know someone who'll have no problems dealing with them. [Big Grin] And spices too, most likely ones used in Mexican recipes.
I've actually never had maple syrup candy, but now you've got me intrigued, so I guess I'll be on the lookout for that as well.

Where in Germany are you at, Kama?

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I'm in Luxembourg, not Germany [Smile]
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Genuine Cowboys&Injuns stuff. Or coffee table picture books about Indians, cowboys, rodeos, or OldWest paintings and sculptures.
Or even fake "genuine Cowboys&Injuns" stuff ya can easily buy at dude ranches, in reservations, and at specialty stores. Just remember to peel off the 'Made in China' sticker.

Fashions could have changed, but a lotta Germans useta have a fascination with the OldWest. Up to the level of our Trekkies, CreativeAnachronists, and CivilWar reenators.

[ August 09, 2007, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that a fellow Hatrack-type person lives mere minutes from me and I've never known it? And now they leave for Germany. It must be my toxic B.O..
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

and winnetou.
Lissande
Member # 350

There are a few people in the CR actually named Winnetou (saw a tv show a few years ago interviewing them). I keep waiting to hear about an Old Shatterhand, but people seem to have drawn the line there. [Dont Know]

[ROFL]

aiua
Member # 7825

Ah, Luxembourg.. So that's where enemy head quarters are. I'd often wondered.

Primal- I feel the exact same way. Mind me asking whereabouts you call home?

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I (both Jatraqueros [though me more than her]) live in Brown Deer.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

-waves-
grammargoddess
Member # 10828

- posted      Profile for grammargoddess   Email grammargoddess         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all! First post!

I like the idea of spices or distinctly American treats. Or perhaps some American idol memorabilia lol. When my friends visited from Scotland, they brought chocolate. On a related note, my husband will be travelling to Germany in December for business, and I was wondering what cool cultural souvenir I should ask him to bring us. I don't really like maps too much. Do they still make clockwork things? My mom says they're famous for dolls. I want something distinctly German, but we don't drink (so no steins, etc.) If I leave it up to my husband he's sure to pick out something lame [Big Grin]

Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Welcome to the Rack!
As for what we bring back after a trip to Germany, I must admit it's mostly food- bread (we buy a whole bunch and freeze it), chocolate, and beer.
If you like knick knacky kinda stuff, there are always nutcrackers and smokers, lots of woodcarvings, etc- there are souvenier shops all over the place. For myself, though, I like soccer jerseys. They're useful, easy to pack, cool looking, and can be found for decent prices if you look hard enough.

grammargoddess
Member # 10828

- posted      Profile for grammargoddess   Email grammargoddess         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! And yes, I love really distinctively cultural "knicky knack stuff"! Not touristy stuff, though. Once, from a trip to Japan, I got a little light-up model of some Japanese building. Ugh. Obviosly not what I would have picked up as a beautiful representation of that country! I think something like a nutcracker might be nice though.:)What are smokers?
Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

A smoker looks pretty much like a nutcracker but instead of having nut cracking capabilities, it's got a little hole to put a small blob of incense in it, which is then lit and produces smoke and a foul odor. [Big Grin] We've got a couple but have never lit them up.
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom bought me a beautiful carved coocoo clock from Germany. I love it - and the one she got herself is even better [Wink]

Have a fun time! I've always wanted to live out of the country but haven't had the chance yet.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Whoa, Wendy, how did you get your registration date?
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
When my friends visited from Scotland, they brought chocolate.
if it wasn't deep fried, it wasn't scottish.

aiua, i think it's a result of transferring member data from one forum system to another (which happened a long time ago [Wink] )

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by aiua:

By transitioning from an earlier version of the board. We have one or two others with that reg date still around. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

i said that already! [Cry]
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Germany for a year as an Au-Pair between high school and college. I think the things the family enjoyed most that I brought with me were recipes. I translated a bunch into German, substituting in their spices, measurements, and such. The family wasn't particularly adventurous about food, but by the time I left they were enjoying Asian-style stir frys (I brought nice chopsticks which were also a hit), Tex-Mex burritos (had to hand-make the tortillas), and chocolate chip cookies (brown sugar is impossible to find in Germany - at least where I was - so be ready to substitute in molasses). DON'T bring any straight chocolate or anything gummy - the German versions put ours to shame.

Anything peanut butter will probably be a new experience for them, as the substance is very uncommon in Germany. Reeses will probably go down well. Cowboys & Indians are popular generally in Germany, but perhaps not with teenage girls and their parents. Collectibles, handmade items, or a picture book from your area are good - something that they could put on the coffee table or mantel and show to guests after you've left.

For yourself, consider shipping some English books over via ship. It's not too expensive (especially compared to the cost of English-language novels in Germany), and having a good novel in your own language when you're feeling homesick is helpful.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by aiua:

By transitioning from an earlier version of the board. We have one or two others with that reg date still around. [Smile]
I see that now. Sorry, sweetie.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
They don't make chocolate chip cookies in Germany??? They don't make chocolate chip cookies EVERYWHERE??? [Embarrassed]

It is indeed a crying shame.

They don't have brown sugar in Germany. You can substitute with molasses and white sugar, but most Germans don't know this (not that they know what chocolate chip cookies are anyways). To make them you're going to have to do a bit of recipe hacking - molasses, as I already mentioned, chopped up chocolate bars for chips, and their "vanilla sugar" for vanilla extract. I remember my first couple of batches came out as either near-sugar-cookie or all crumbly, but they still tasted good (and the 6-yr-old didn't mind serving as taste-tester to my experimental batches).

While the Germans don't have chocolate chip cookies, they certainly have plenty of other sweets. Between the thick bread, the meats & cheeses, and the afternoon "Kaffee" with Kuchen (cake) or English-style biscuits, I gained a few kilos before I started upping my running regime.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.