FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Car Gurus, Hear My Plea

Author Topic: Car Gurus, Hear My Plea
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
I need some advice. I'm looking into buying a 73 International TravelAll. It's a behemouth, with a V8 and 2 tanks. I want to convert it to biodiesel, and as far as I can tell, that should be fairly straightforward.

But, I dont know if I'm just deluding myself because I've wanted an International for a very long time, and this one is very, very affordable.

What I should know before jumping on this deal:
How easy are these things to work on? I'll be using it to teach myself how to work on my own car, and I'd prefer a straightforward, easy to handle type of deal.

How realistic is converting it to biodiesel? It's a diesel engine, but it's HUGE. Think old Suburban. Anyone familiar with these types of conversions?

The body is straight, with very few dings, and it's only got a little over 98,000 original miles on it. But for the price, I'm thinking there's got to be something else wrong with it.As far as I can tell, these things in good condition go for a couple thousand dollars. This one is $500. I haven't gone to look at it yet, because I have a horrible tendancy to fall in love with the idea of something and buy it right off the bat without taking the time to make sure it's a good deal. I want to be girded about with cynical knowledge before I go drool over this car.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
pictures of 1973 TravelAll, for those unfamiliar (like me)

Do you have a trusted mechanic you can pay to look it over? For that price, it might be worth an expert opinion.

---

Some discussion on whether conversion really is needed at MercedesShop.com (my random googlage -- have no idea how correct, I'm sure you know much more than me -- not hard to!)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
98k miles in 34 years? How?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Why thank you, CT. [Big Grin] .

I know people who know people (if you know what I mean) who do conversions of all types. But talking to them about it wont do much good till I have the car and we can go over specifics.
Of course, giving little info and expecting specific advice is soooooo much more realistic on a forum. This I know.

Icarus, by owning lots of other cars? Using it for specific purposes only? Being a fuddyduddy homebody?

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there actually a zero at the beginning of the mileage on the odometer? My 1970 Chevy pickup says 83,000, but I know it's 483,000 total and on it's third engine, which really has nearly 200,000. Back then they didn't need 6-digit odometers on most vehicles.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod*

Frankly, I would find 1,098,000 to be far more realistic than 98,000.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet. If you can afford to blow $500 on a hobby, do it and treat learning to work on it as your entertainment budget for the next 6 months. If you need it to be usable as reliable transportation right away, forget it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
the biodiesel stuff is pretty easy if the rest of the vehicle is in good enough shape. i have several friends running homebrew.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you just need to put a heater in the bottom for cold weather, depending on your particular blend of biodiesel. You could even add a switch so when the temp gets hot enough, you can switch over to a vegetable oil tank, though a bohemoth like a travelall has got to use a lot of fuel.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.