FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Business of Writing

Author Topic: The Business of Writing
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned in another thread that I've got a novel coming out soon and that I'm not thrilled with some of the business aspects of it....Belle wanted to know a little more about it so here I am.

In a nutshell, the thing I dislike the most is that I've gone from artist to salesperson. [Frown]

I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I absolutely love it -- the dreaming, the ideas, the stories, and the act of watching it all come alive on the paper. I've wanted to be a notable science fiction and fantasy writer for a long time but it turns out that getting there is really hard. And I mean even after you get a publisher willing to put your book out there. (And that part's hard enough!)

I got the contract in the mail in February of 2006...about a year and a half ago. When I received it, along with the acceptance letter, I let out a shriek of delight that made my poor son (only 3 months old at the time) cry. Oops. The contract was fair, so no problems there. The acceptance letter included a lot of details, including a projection that the novel would be out ii trade paperback in February of 2007. Obviously, that didn't happen. I've got an e-book version out now but the print version has been delayed until November (I hope). These things seem to take a long time...longer than advertised.

Then my publisher said I would have to put in a serious marketing effort or my book wouldn't sell. So, I started doing some research on selling books.

Here's the thing: I'm a writer not a saleswoman. I know people who could sell ice to Eskimos but I'm not even sure I could sell them hot cocoa. I'm very conservative in what I say about myself and don't like to toot my own horn too much.

I got word just this week that the book is going to the printer, so now is the time that the real work begins. This week I'm working on book blurbs of all different lengths for different purposes. I'm compiling lists of people who might want to review the book. I'm working on contacts for book signings, newspaper articles, and reviews.

In short, I'm not writing, but if I don't do this I may not sell a book. (Actually, there's no guarantee I'll sell one anyway. [Smile] ) Now that I have my foot in the door I can't help but notice just how many no-name authors there are out there with their books collecting dust....no longer available from amazon.com.

Many of my friends and family have this idea that publication means my book will be in bookstores across America, sitting proudly next to books from Stephen King and Orson Scott Card, ready to hop into the hands of consumers (even though they've never heard of me). Many people seem to think that publishers have unlimited funds to help promote their no-name authors. But that's not how it happens. Publishers wait to see if a book sells before investing a ton of money in marketing and bookstores wait for a demand before stocking books on their shelves. You have to spend money to make it and, not unwisely, they'd rather spend it on a sure thing. Oh, they'll shell out the money to do an initial print run, but if your book doesn't show signs of doing well then they have no intention of shelling out any more.

It's business. It's not what I want to do but it's what I have to do or I may as well turn writing back into a hobby and get a "real" job. [Smile]

I won't give up my dreams that easily, though. So, I'd better get back to work!

P.S. If you'd like to know about the book itself, you can check out my website: www.christineamsden.com

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
So is it often the author who writes the blurbs on the backs of their own books? I've always wondered.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Christine! I figured it would be something like that. I got disillusioned in a different genre (inspirational/creative nonfiction) because I kept getting requests from publishers who wanted me to write stuff they could sell. That makes sense, I know - but thing is, I was supposed to be writing personal stories about my faith, about my experience, and it was supposed to be true and heartfelt and mean something to me. But they wanted mass-produced stories in a cookie-cutter formula that made me feel cheap. I published a few things that DID mean something to me, took their money, then quit answering their requests for more material, even though it would have meant more sales. I just didn't feel right about it, felt like I was misrepresenting myself if I changed what were true stories to something more marketable.

I now write fiction, because I can tell stories that are true to me, but are not being represented as The Truth. That may not make sense to some people (I had quite a few people tell me I was crazy to turn down paying work if I ever wanted to make it as a writer) but I had to do what was right for me.

Everything I've seen about the business nowadays backs up completely what you're saying - that it's not enough to write a good story, you have to be a marketer and your own advocate out there. I understand where you're coming from about doing something you don't really like in order to get to do the thing you love.

Thanks for following up with my question and congratulations on your novel!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Thanks, Belle!

I totally understand not wanting to sell out. I respect that.

I've never run into that problem in fiction. They either take the story I'm selling or they don't -- they can suggest changes but they have never suggested a change to the core of the story and I've always had the choice to say no. (Although I took a lot of the suggestions from my novel's editor.0

Tara -- I don't know if all authors write their own book blurbs, but I did. I think it makes more sense for an author to write his/her own blurb, although it's always possible that a publisher can get in there and tweak it for maximum effectiveness. (They didn't with mine.)

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
This would have been a perfect opportunity to promote your book for free.

ABC - Always Be Closing [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
This would have been a perfect opportunity to promote your book for free.

ABC - Always Be Closing [Wink]

lol [Smile]

Well, I did include the web address. I promise that come November, when the book is available for purchase, I will have a thread that may or may not be entitled "Shameless self promotion" -- but that's what it will be!

For now I figure 3 months is still a pretty long time and that most people's memory doesn't stretch that far. [Smile]

MightyCow
Member # 9253

This is good practice though. We're a receptive audience. It's like practicing your speeches nude in front of pets... am I the only one who does that?
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I promise that come November, when the book is available for purchase
Don't wait that long. Act now.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
This is good practice though. We're a receptive audience. It's like practicing your speeches nude in front of pets... am I the only one who does that?

All right...all right...but can I keep my clothes on? [Smile]

#####

Coming this holiday season...Touch of Fate by Christine Amsden

This thrilling paranormal novel takes us into the life of Marianne Waters, a woman who can predict the future but is powerless to alter its course. She feels alone and out of control until she meets friends who share her ability -- but then she finds one of them murdered. Now, with the shadow of a killer looming over her, Marianne must discover the truth about herself, her terrible power, and the murderer before it's too late. Because it looks like the murderer can predict the future too.

Check out chapter 1 for FREE at this link:

http://www.christinemorganbooks.com/?page_id=46

#####

Better? [Smile]

TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
'Touch of Fate' eh? I'll buy a copy because, if nothing else -- fellow hatracker. So you'll sell at least one. Who's your publisher?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me, Christine, but I have to do this...

Just to clarify:

You are not and never will be a salesperson.

You are an author.

It's an important distinction to make. And I think it's also important to think of yourself as an author rather than a writer. Authorship is especially important as an idea for writers of fiction.

What this means, in short, is that, as an author, you now have the opportunity to present yourself and your work in such a way as to lead to those who are looking for the type of story you are telling finding out about and hopefully buying your book.

I realize there's a fine distinction between that and a salesperson, but the key thing here is that it's your personality, imagination and story that are doing the selling.

Now, of course, there are authorial personae that get to be a bit too much. But I'm of the opinion that it's not a bad thing to think in these terms -- this is basically what the marketing activities you will be involved in will require.

Some people may be of the opinion that having an author persona is fake. It certainly can be. But it sure helps for when you have to do book readings, media interviews, etc. (and just importantly try and set them up).

And really, we all project different versions of ourselves in the various situations that we are part of. Most of us try to keep a certain consistency and integrity across the board.

So if you think of yourself as having to be a used car saleswoman, then, yeah, it's not going to be very fun.

But if you can see your author self as a bit more outgoing (maybe even mysterious) part of your self, then I think it might be more to your liking.

And it's not selling out. The car or insurance salesperson may believe in the product their offering, but at the end of the day it's not really their product. A novel is your product. It's an extension of you and what you do in order to get the word out about it has roots in the original, amazing, harrowing but beautiful process of creating it.

Does that make sense?

Edit to add: Even if it doesn't make sense -- Congratulations!

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

TL -- the publisher is Twilight Times Books.

Z -- That's a fair description, I think. Using that model as a basis then I'd say the thing that's concerning me right now is that I don't feel comfortable in the role of author. And that might just take time and book sales. [Smile]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of Randy Ingermanson for marketing advice. I get his Fiction Writing E-Zine monthly and I went to his blog daily before he went on vacation. He does tips on writing, websites, getting noticed by Google, writing Superarticles that bring people to your site, all kinds of good stuff.

Marketing isn't fun, but at least when you do it your book is being pimped by someone who loves it.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
If people buy the e-book does that give the publisher more confidence in its ability to sell?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Thanks, AvidReader!

MidnightBlue -- I'm sure that if the e-book sales were high, it would give the publisher more confidence that there is an audience for the book.

Belle
Member # 2314

I like Randy too. Back when I was writing in the inspirational market he and I corresponded several times by email, and he offered to introduce me to some other people in the business. Nice fellow! Now that he has thousands of people subscribing to his e-zine, I don't know if he has time to pesonally answer email anymore, but he's an all around good guy with a genuine desire to help people if he can.

And he knows how to market himself, that's for sure.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:

Better? [Smile]

Christine, now is a good time for that "Shameless Self-Promotion" thread. Then bump it when the book is published in November.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I like Randy too. Back when I was writing in the inspirational market he and I corresponded several times by email, and he offered to introduce me to some other people in the business. Nice fellow!

Networking is king! Send him an email. Remind him about how he offered to introduce you to some people, and see if he's still willing to do so. Maybe he'll help you out in ways you wouldn't have even though of.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really interesting topic. I recently got back in touch with a writer buddy of mine from the early Online Writing Workshop for SciFi/Fantasy days. She recently signed a three-book deal for a YA series called Magic Theif. The publication date of her first book just got moved up, for some reason. Maybe it's that YA is hot right now, or maybe it's that she's an academic who has done writing workshops and stuff since she started selling short stories.

They have this cute blog where different genre writers write posts on different days. Some of it is about writing and teh business, but largely not. Here's a link:

http://www.sfnovelists.com/

I wonder if the self-promotion thing is difficult for most writers, or if women have more trouble with it. You know, "It's not ladylike to brag" and that sort of thing. I've been through this whole program on how to take a compliment and accept praise graciously, because I have always had a bad time with it. I don't know, really.

But you have a lot to be proud of, and you've got to love your book or you wouldn't have bothered, right? Just think of all the enthusiasm you had for the story when you first got the idea, or when you were writing it, and pretend that everyone else is that relative or friend or friend you would talk to about it.

Of course, you have an easy sell with us, but I think you'll find that it's not so bad putting yourself out there. It's just different.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
We run a column by Terri Schlichenmeyer - "The Bookworm Sez" in the paper I work for. Her guidelines for reviewing are on her site.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

It is insteresting or perhaps even sad that today a writer must also be a marketer and a fairly aggressive salesperson. It just comes with the territory, I suppose.

It's actually one area where I'll be good - I think. I have some marketing background in the corporate world and know how to do things like write press releases to accompany the book release date, and get info out there. None of the big newspapers are likely to care much, but my little rural county once-a-week paper is always looking for stories about local people.

Christine look for stuff like that. Even the big papers sometimes have local interest stories about people who live in the area. Contact the reporters directly and tell them you would love to give them the chance to do a story to coincide with the book release date. Write a professional press release and send it out before the release date.

Send releases to local independent booksellers, and even the big chains - our Books-A-Million has a "Local authors" section- they may order a copy or two just to have something new to stock in that section. Tell them you're available for book signings.

If any bookseller agrees to do a signing, take them up on it and invite everyone you know. Beg, borrow, steal do whatever it takes to get friends and supporters to come. Buy them lunch, whatever. If a crowd shows up, that will generate interest - and the people browsing that day will be much more likely to drift over and buy a copy because it looks interesting to have so many people in line.

Nothing more awkward than looking than an author sitting at a table with books to sign and nobody there.

Also, I don't believe in just sitting, unless there is a line. Make up a sign that says - "See me near the SciFi/Fantasy section" and put that on the table, then stand near the section talking to people who come in to browse for books. Tell them who you are and why you're there, you'll be much more likely to sell to those people who are actually looking for that genre.

One word of caution though - I said stand near the section, not in it - because some people (myself included) like to browse bookshelves in peace, so don't follow them and badger them, just introduce yourself. Have copies of your book in hand and a pen so you can sign immmediately, or walk back to your table with them. Alternately, you can man the table all the time and have a buddy stationed in the section. Preferably someone really good at talking to strangers, and not the least bit shy.

Remember, some people will buy signed copies of virtually ANYTHING, because it's signed and they think that makes it inherently better. So get the word out and don't be afraid to encourage people. "I'll be happy to personalize it for you, and if you have a reader on your Christmas list, this would be a great personal gift!"

Hmmm...maybe I should hire myself out as a "Personal book promoter" for new authors. [Wink]

Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Hmmm...maybe I should hire myself out as a "Personal book promoter" for new authors. [Wink]

How reasonable are your rates? [Smile]

No, really, those are some great ideas. I haven't read much on the specifics of how to make a book signing work -- most of the marketing advice just says, "Do them." I was already wanting to bring my husband around for moral support but now I think it's a must -- he's much better at talking to strangers than I am. Plus, he can talk knowledgeably about my book and about scifi/fantasy books. (We like all the same stuff...well, except he likes George R. R. Martin. Men....)

Olivet
Member # 1104

*Adds Christine to her list of people who are not into Martin*

That makes... six of us.

Also, I would totally hire you, Belle, if the need ever arose.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Oh I forgot one - libraries. Contact the local public libraries, mention that you're a local author and would they be interested in having you come in for a book talk? Libraries also keep shelves for "local authors" and you might well get a sale out of them. Maybe only one copy, but that's still one copy, right? Then, if you do come in for a book talk, bring cards with your name and the name of your book on them and ISBN if you have it to hand out to the people there. That way, when they go to the bookstore they have everything they would need to order it.

You can parlay the book talks into sales to a local bookstore too - just tell a local book owner (independent, you'll probably get more purchase there) that you'll be holding talks in the neighborhoods and will send people to them if they'll order a few copies to keep in stock. Then on your information card you put the name of the bookseller and address and phone number.

And, consider investing in some bookplates - maybe with the cover art on them, that you can sign and offer from your website. I think OSC does this. I know Kay Kenyon used to send them out free from her website but I don't know if she does anymore. You could offer them for the cost of shipping and handling or something really inexpensive. Then, personalize the bookplates when people order them and mail them to them. They'll buy your book, and put the signed plate on the inside cover. Some of those bookplates need to be in your car, your purse, everywhere you go. Then when someone strikes up that conversation and asks "What do you do?" You answer "I'm an author. My new book just came out." When they ask about it, pull out a bookplate, tell them you'll be happy to sign it for them then if they purchase the book they'll be able to have an autographed copy.

Now, not everyone who takes a bookplate from you will eventually buy the book - but some will. And yes, printing up cards and bookplates costs money and if you're a new author you probably don't have a huge advance, but this is not about making money on the first book - it's about selling enough copies so publishers will publish more of your work. It's an investment, so just expect it's going to take time and money to get going.

That will generate sales at their local bookstores, which is what you want.

Olivia, you not ever hire me - I will be at your book signings selling your book like crazy even if I have to take time off work to drive there! I'll be acting like a giddy fangirl and saying stuff like "Did you know Olivet F. is signing her book here? I know her!!!"

Olivet
Member # 1104

Oh, ditto to you, Adrian. It will be a veritable fangirl/boy circus. Since yours is YA or mid-grade, I could even bring the kids and have them work the crowd. [Big Grin] (You should here the way Robert praises the Percy whatsisname books!) I might even be able to coax Ophelia into pretending to be 12...

[ August 11, 2007, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me...
I need to finish this novel.. I wonder if anyone besides me will want to read it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battler03
Member # 10453

- posted      Profile for Battler03           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
*Adds Christine to her list of people who are not into Martin*

That makes... six of us.

Also, I would totally hire you, Belle, if the need ever arose.

You guys are insane. Those are the best books ever.

Christine, be sure and keep us posted. I'll buy your book simply because you're a fellow hatracker.

Incidentally, thank whoever you choose to thank, up there, that it's only a book getting published that you're having to deal with. Through some friends of mine, I have some insight into the whole nutroll of getting your book made into a movie. If you think getting your book published causes heartache and discontent, just wait till some slimy LA types try and make a couple million off you.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Ahhh...but I sure would like to experience that heartache. [Smile]

Maybe someone should get a Martin thread going...we've got one for Jordan.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.