FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Bourne Ultimatum (Spoilers Eventually)

Author Topic: The Bourne Ultimatum (Spoilers Eventually)
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]

Just saw it. I thought it was great. Still has shaky camera. But I can forgive it because it was a no-holds barred, adrenanline fueled thrill ride.

I especially loved the ending.

Anyone else see it?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Easily the best of the three.

The ending, and Niki's reaction to the absence of a body being found, was great, if perhaps a tad cheesy.

I loved the lines:

Where are you?

In my office.

<smirk> Doubtful. If you were in your office, we'd be having this conversation face-to-face.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite part: a possible romantic situation set up that Bourne completely skipped by becauwe he's still in love with his girlfriend. Bond would have been all over her. Bourne is cooler.

Pet peeves: I understand the shaky camera bringing realism to fight scenes, crowd scenes, chase scenes. But not to people sitting down talking! If the camera is supposed to be me, I would have myself checked for neurological damage. Shaky cameras bounce around, director. People tend to, you know, focus.
Other pet peeve: if you're an assassin whose appearance is known to the incredibly resourceful agency coming after you, do not by any means change your appearance in the slightest. Any woman on the run with you should immediately cut her hair and dye it black, but you should avoid even putting on a hat.

Other than that, the movie was perfect, and that's a rare thing for me to say. Initially I was wondering since, hey, didn't she tell him his real name at the end of the second movie? Why isn't he following that up? But the ride was intense and I forgot about it. And then the scene came up again in the new context and blew me away. Loved it.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed it, though I was popping aspirin halfway through. I want to know what there had been between Niki and Bourne- she implied something.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Having thought the first two movies were completely forgettable, I was pretty leery about this one. The shaky, quick cut scenes were a bit hard to watch at times. Bourne seemed to escape every crash and fight virtually unscathed (sometimes he'd be limping around, but after a few minutes he'd be perfectly fine). There was hardly any character development (which was okay since the characters were well developed in the earlier movies). But none of those things seemed to matter as I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I enjoyed it much more than I had anticipated.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Havah was at work, and some of the lifeguards went to see The Bourne Identity. One of them mentioned it, and Havah said, absently, "Great book!" The lifeguard said, "It was a book? Really?" That got Havah's attention. She sighed and said, "Yes, it was a book." The lifeguard asked, "Just the first one?"

I feel old.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
It could be argued that all three books / movies in the series were one long character development of Jason Bourne / David Webb. That said, they didn't spend a lot of time developing any of the other characters. Fortunately we were already familiar with the most important of these characters from the previous movies.

I wholeheartedly agree that this was the best done of the three movies. I wonder if this will be it or if they plan on making the Bourne sequel books by Eric Van Lustbader into movies as well. I haven't read either one yet, and I don't know if I will, but I just have to wonder if they will.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

They've said that this is the last one, but Hollywood lies all the time.

I hope they leave it right where it is. The ending of the third one was a perfect way to finish the franchise. It was beautiful and ironic.

I don't know how many more secret government organizations that want to kill Jason Bourne can all exist at the same time. Two of the programs ended.

If there's another one, I'll probably scream.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
They just never seem to know when to stop, a shame for sure.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want to know what there had been between Niki and Bourne- she implied something.
I agree. There are several open options in the story line to make another movie but I'm glad they said that this was it. Great movie!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That's something that bugged me a little too. But I could let it slide. Mostly because I was basically in love with the ending.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DavidR:

I wholeheartedly agree that this was the best done of the three movies. I wonder if this will be it or if they plan on making the Bourne sequel books by Eric Van Lustbader into movies as well. I haven't read either one yet, and I don't know if I will, but I just have to wonder if they will.

These movies haven't been in any way faithful to the book series or chronology, and the Bourne series books following Ludlum's would require Marie to be alive, and for Bourne to a professor at an American College on the East Coast.

Basically the movies depart from the book series about half way through the first film, and they are completely different from the books from there on out.

Edit to add: This all aside from the fact that the licensed sequels were GOD_AWFUL and boring piles of steaming dung. At least the "Bourne Legacy" was, and I only got halfway into it.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Bourne saying to the assassin at the end, "Look at us. Look at what they make you give," gave me goosebumps. edit: and I just realized why, Clive Owen's character says the exact same line in the first movie just before he dies. Man that makes the line even better!

I so wanted Bourne to bag Julia Stiles, but then he didn't and I thought it made more sense that way anyway. Her holding his hand was all she could have possibly given him at that point in his life.

I did the same thing Chris did with the David Webb thing. When they showed the scene again in a new light I was like, "WOA WOA!"

They should have let Jason do at least SOMETHING to Vosen, at LEAST break his nose or a leg.

The coolest fighting technique Bourne pulled this time to me was when he positioned the book at the guys neck and just chopped the spine of the book.

The ending bugged my whole family because they thought they were setting up for another movie. I liked it alot and I don't think we will see another true blue Bourne movie. Some moron might somehow obtain the rights and try again but those movies never really exist anyway.

edit: The shakey cam does not bother me, I kinda like it. When you watch the movies on a normal television set the shakiness is very much reduced. The bigger the screen the worse it is for me.

[ August 14, 2007, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Bourne saying to the assassin at the end, ""Look at us. Look at what they make you give." gave me goosebumps. edit: and I just realized why, Clive Owen's character says the exact same line in the first movie just before he dies. Man that makes the line even better!

Thanks, BlackBlade! I didn't notice that one. Oooooh...
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
To my great disappointment, I actually had to LEAVE the movie in the middle. The shaky camera and (even more so) INCESSANT cuts were making me nauseous. I understood the decision, but (obviously) thought it was too much. I leaned over at one point and whispered to my husband, "I know they had a tripod somewhere." I think I could have handled it if the action scenes were shaky and had the cuts every 2-3 seconds, as long as the non-action scenes didn't. But the whole movie was like that. I love action movies and will be very, very sad if this sets a precedent.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.