FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Author Topic: Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Contains the new trailer attached to 'Stardust'...

Bet you never expected to see a sequel to that movie, eh?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth is always difficult for me to watch, because while it's a good story and looks beautiful, it's also so incredibly historically inaccurate that it gives me hives.

But I've got to say, that is a brilliant trailer.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same reaction to the original Elizabeth as you, Bella Bee. I didn't enjoy that film much at all.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the original just last night. Good movie; surprisingly dark and brutal in several instances and oddly reminiscent of The Godfather in several striking instances. Can't wait to catch the sequel on dvd.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hear hear Bella.
But I'll probably see this too. [Smile]

I need some help, the music in the trailer, starts about halfway through... it sounds so familiar... but I just can't place it. On the tip of my brain. What movie is it from? It might not be the original music but it's very similar... curse my poor recall!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much enjoy Elizabeth, glaring inaccuracies aside. It's visually appealing, fairly well written and acted, and overall, a good story.

I knew they were planning the sequel a few years back, and have been keeping tabs on it off and on. This trailer looks almost exactly like the first movie: pretty, a good story - and very inaccurate.

I'm going to love it. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
That's why they call it historical fiction. [Wink]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
This could be a sort of lifetime role for Blanchett though, revisiting the Elizabeth character every ten years or so a la "Before Sunrise."
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't the historical inaccuracies alone that made me dislike the original movie. I found the story to be rather straightforward and couldn't really make myself care for any of the characters, and the whole Godfather thing had already been... well, done in Godfather. (The performances were good though.) The historical inaccuracies were only the final nail in the coffin.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I thoroughly enjoyed the original and I'll enjoy the sequel. I saw the trailer last night before Becoming Jane.

Cate Blanchett is awesome.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:

I need some help, the music in the trailer, starts about halfway through... it sounds so familiar... but I just can't place it. On the tip of my brain. What movie is it from? It might not be the original music but it's very similar... curse my poor recall!

Does it sound like Lord of the Rings music?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
It kind of sounds like the music in gladiator to me.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the trailer for this before Stardust, it looks amazing, inaccuracies or not, Blanchett is amazing and I think I'll see this one for her performance alone.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.