FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is microfiber all that great?

Author Topic: Is microfiber all that great?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
The time has come for me to purchase a new sofa.

I was thinking about just buying one online from Target, but I guess if I'm going to spend that much money, I should be absolutely sure of what I'm getting. There's a nice furniture store nearby that's having a good sale with free delivery, but I don't know that much about sofas, and I'm not sure if I should listen to what the salespeople say or not.

Isn't microfiber the material that you can wash with soap and water? Or am I thinking of something else? How do I decide what makes a good sofa? This will be my first real, non-futon-like sofa purchase, so I want it to be something that will last a while. Are there certain brands I should look for?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend actually sitting in the sofa you intend to get. For me, a comfortable couch is more important than a nice looking couch, and so many couches look comfortable but aren't.

I have a microfiber reading chair that is really comfy, but I've had yet to try cleaning it, so I have no advice for you there.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I personally can't stand microfiber furniture. It feels cheap and weird to me.

On the other hand, I like microfiber jackets (but not the suede-y kind).

The main thing, imo, that makes a good sofa is a) how it feels when you sit in it and b) how well the cushions/springs hold their shape.

And don't ever get a sofa bed.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Microfiber is all well and good, and I don't think there's really any reasonable cause to object in it. There is absolutely no reliable evidence to make me believe in Macrofiber, however.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] @ Enig

I have a marvelous microfiber (the suede-like kind) sofa. I have owned it for almost two years. It is comfortable (very!) and the sofa bed is not bad.

And because it is microfiber, even though it is a fairly light blue, it has NO STAINS on it. And I have three children.

I got it from Sears. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I love and swear by my microfiber couch so much that I'm planning on reupholstering my car in it.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
I work for a furniture company and I love the idea of microfiber. Depending on the make, microfiber is actually very easy to clean. After wiping up the excess of the spill, use a mild detergent (Shout or Woolite) and a damp cloth with warm water and rub it right out. Let it dry and you're good to go! It's pretreated so you don't have to even think about 'ScotchGuard'-ing it. It really does depend on how comfortable it feels for you though. I've had people swear by it and others who hate to even touch microfiber.

Frame-wise, you want to look for kiln-dried hard woods. A lot of times, you can take a look at the frames from the underside of the furniture. If the store will let you flip them, of course. The dust cover might have a zipper where they normally hide the legs of the sofa and from there you can see the frame construction.

I sell a lot of Rowe, Actona, HTL, Schillig, Montebello and Lind. Most of these are great companies but some of them do cost a lot. The difference is mostly going to be in the upholstery and not the frame support though. I know Rowe is currently going through some company problems. I haven't seen it effect the merchandise but it does increase the wait time for the items.

I'll stop spewing out babble now. Hope some of that helps.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistaben
Member # 8721

- posted      Profile for mistaben           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll cast in another good word for µ-fiber (yes, I'm a physics geek [Big Grin] ).

We've had our couch and chair for almost 2.5 years. Despite their best efforts, my two daughters have not been able to get a stain on it!

Anyone know whether this next factoid is true?

Besides the easy clean up, the woman at the furniture place told us she'd watched a training video in which someone stabbed a microfiber-clad piece with a ball-point pen. Apparently rubbing or something somehow coaxes the material back into place (I'm assuming the pen didn't actually *break* any fibers, but displaced them???).

Posts: 105 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We have an IKEA couch (actually sofa-bed) with a removable, replacable, washable cover. And waterproof material underneath on the actual cushions.

We're quite fond of it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Squish:

Frame-wise, you want to look for kiln-dried hard woods. A lot of times, you can take a look at the frames from the underside of the furniture. If the store will let you flip them, of course. The dust cover might have a zipper where they normally hide the legs of the sofa and from there you can see the frame construction.

I sell a lot of Rowe, Actona, HTL, Schillig, Montebello and Lind. Most of these are great companies but some of them do cost a lot. The difference is mostly going to be in the upholstery and not the frame support though. I know Rowe is currently going through some company problems. I haven't seen it effect the merchandise but it does increase the wait time for the items.

I'll stop spewing out babble now. Hope some of that helps.

What if the feet are hard wood? Is it safe to assume the rest of the sofa is, too?

Do you know of a brand called Jackson? I think one of the sofas I liked was that brand...

Choosing furniture is hard! [Frown] Especially when one has a habit of compulsively redecorating and repainting to cope with stress. Fortunately, I think I've finally settled on a paint for the living room. For now...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
You can just ask the salesperson whether or not it's a hardwood frame since flipping sofas over is kind of tough. ^_^ Most times the legs are just screwed on and aren't actually a part of the frame support.

I don't know a brand named Jackson but I have found out over the years that manufacturers will agree to go with a different name for certain retailers if select models are only available at that retail location. So Jackson could be a branch of something I sell but don't actually know it.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.