FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Slaughterhouse-Five question (mayfly)

Author Topic: Slaughterhouse-Five question (mayfly)
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
So I’m reading Slaughterhouse-Five – my first time reading anything by Vonnegut. I’m about two-thirds of the way through, and I like it a lot. I was already somewhat familiar with the plot, themes, and similarities to Vonnegut’s actual experiences, and I figured it was about time I actually read the book.

Anyway, I’m at the point where Billy Pilgrim first sees Dresden:

quote:
Somebody behind him in the boxcar said, “Oz.” That was I. That was me. The only other city I’d ever seen was Indianapolis, Indiana.
Okay, I get that Vonnegut himself described Dresden as “Oz” when he first saw it. That’s simple enough. What I don’t get is the last sentence. He can’t mean it literally because he at least attended Cornell before going to war, but I can’t think of any other way for it to make sense.

I’m sure I’m just missing something simple. Can someone clue me in?

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's safe to assume the only other city Billy Pilgrim had seen was Indianapolis, while Vonnegut's experiences may have been a little different. Vonnegut's description of Dresden is still valid because the city in it's prime would have had a vastly different, old world look than the relatively new New York.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
He may also not consider Ithaca a city, in the sense of metropolis. Possibly Ithaca wasn't much of a city in 1941-42, when Kurt attended.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. Good points. I figured I was reading too much into it. It just seemed so deliberately stated I thought there might be something more significant to it than that.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok, are you on Goodreads? I think I'd enjoy looking at your reviews of stuff.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome book. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ic, nope. Even if I were, I'd only be reviewing old stuff, since i don't get to read enough anymore.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.