FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » sergeantfour!

Author Topic: sergeantfour!
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to need a name change in around February!

Today after work my flight chief came around saying that I had an overdue balance on my Star Card and that because I was in danger of losing my security clearance I had to wait around to have a meeting with the squadron commander. The Star Card is a military credit card that the majority of servicepeople have. But I don't. That paired with the fact that the list for promotions came out today led me to call BS. He grinned and said that the commander was coming later and that I and another AF guy I work with needed to hang around.

Long story shorter, the commander came in, gave us certificates and stripes, and we ended shaking hands with a lot of people. Story over, and I'm happy.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your promotion and good luck with all the new duties that come along with such a rise in station.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent news! Congratulations!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

Thank you!
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to you! That's wonderful!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice. Congratulations!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea! Drinks are on Airmanfour, tonight at the club.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats airm.. er... sergeantfour.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congratulations.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

If you change your forum name, I think you should keep the exclamation point! [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [Big Grin]

And I agree with pH.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
This makes you a Staff Sergeant?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Expect a promotion to Master Sergeant sometime in the next year, our plans to get you 4 general's stars and the president's office is working perfectly according to schedule. [Evil]

Congratulations!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I was actually wondering where you were, am4. Congrats.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

Thanks everybody! My line number for Staff Sergeant is somewhere near 7500 out of 15000, so I'm guessing I get to put it on sometime in February, but I could be way off. Best part is that now I get to go to Airman Leadership School for 5 weeks! Anyone live near Shaw AFB?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:
Thanks everybody! My line number for Staff Sergeant is somewhere near 7500 out of 15000, so I'm guessing I get to put it on sometime in February, but I could be way off. Best part is that now I get to go to Airman Leadership School for 5 weeks! Anyone live near Shaw AFB?

Best I can do is Hill AirForce base in Utah. Or is it Hull? I get them mixed up.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I can remember how to spell sergeantfour so I think you should either keep your same name or else go ahead and skip to the next level in anticipation of your next promotion. What would that be? captainsix?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, watch that Captain stuff, I think he actually works for a living. (And can probably read a map)
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, do you understand the difference between Commisioned and Non-commisioned Officers?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as anyone in the Air Force can be said to work... [Big Grin]

I keeed, I keeed...

-TMedina

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Commissioned means you went to college? Non-commissioned means you rose through the ranks from enlisted man? Is that what you mean? That seems a relic of the old days during WW2 and before when society was very class conscious, and thought class was immutable and even genetic. In those days the gentry were the commissioned officers and the working classes were the enlisted and NCOs. Is it still like that now? It seems such a quaint and inefficient system, if so. Shouldn't the armed forces be a ruthless meritocracy if we want to win? We all know that ability and excellence transcend society's artificial class distinctions.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Interesting! The nuclear industry is sort of like a mini-navy, since so many of our ranks come from the navy. Apparently the Navy has the hot-roddest reactors and ours are lumbering old cadillacs by comparison. Anyway, this interests me in that it gives me a peek into the mindset and expectations of my ex-Navy coworkers. We even call our plants "the fleet". [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Navy reactors are top notch, and a lot of those guys stay in that field when they leave the service.

I know 3 guys who worked on subs who did that, anyway, and there were companies lined up trying to hire them. Sometimes there is even a bidding war. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yes, all that training is super expensive, so the companies definitely want people who are already mostly trained if they can get them. I spent probably 1/3 of my time in training the whole first year. =) SROs (senior reactor operators) have an 18 month school they have to go to. If you already have your SRO certificate, you just have to requal, which is much less time-intensive.

[ August 19, 2007, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

airmanfour
Member # 6111

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Commissioned means you went to college? Non-commissioned means you rose through the ranks from enlisted man? Is that what you mean? That seems a relic of the old days during WW2 and before when society was very class conscious, and thought class was immutable and even genetic. In those days the gentry were the commissioned officers and the working classes were the enlisted and NCOs. Is it still like that now? It seems such a quaint and inefficient system, if so. Shouldn't the armed forces be a ruthless meritocracy if we want to win? We all know that ability and excellence transcend society's artificial class distinctions.

I would agree with you, but I'm not sure whether or not I can, so I won't. Bottom line is that it's run by politicians. Which is why all the smart people leave. 25 mos to go!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Somebody in operations started trying to recruit me for SRO last week. I do admire those guys' knowledge of plant systems. They have that stuff down cold. They know every setpoint, every temperature and what it ought to be at various power levels. They know everything! It's really cool. But if I did it I'd have to 1) move to Augusta, GA, 2) go on rotating shifts for a couple of years minimum, and 3) cease building things for at least a few years and simply run them. I'm not sure if that's for me.

I like to feel that when I've worked and put in a lot of time and effort, I've actually accomplished something that lasts long-term. I realize that's possibly illusory, as many of the things I have worked to build in my life are no longer in use, and I'm not sure they can be said to have contributed greatly to the state of the art in my field. Still, to have something to look at when you're done and say "I built that" feels nice. Operators don't get that. They can say "I delivered power to customers for another day", but that's somehow less satisfying to me.

Anyway, I'm really wondering what path I should take from this point. I know what I want to accomplish but I can't figure out the best way to get there. So I'm considering all kinds of options.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:

I would agree with you, but I'm not sure whether or not I can, so I won't. Bottom line is that it's run by politicians. Which is why all the smart people leave. 25 mos to go!
Preach on, brother!

But, all rants aside, yes - for the Army side, you have two basic tracks:

1. Commissioned - meaning you have a college degree and completed Officer Candidate School which prepares you (in theory) to be a leader of Soldiers. 2nd LT, 1st LT, Captain, Major, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel and then Generals.

2. Non-Commissioned - these are drawn from the ranks of the enlisted schmu...err...personnel. Officers are responsible for the long-term planning and leadership while Non-coms or "NCOs" are responsible for the execution of that vision and leadership. The NCO ranks vary by branch, but for the Army its: Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Sergeant First Class, Master/1st Sergeant, Sergeant Major/Command Sergeant Major.

The joke is, "non-coms work for a living", which implies officers don't.

The Army also has a "split branch" called "Warrant Officers" which are a wierd mix of not-quite enlisted and not quite traditional Officer. They are billed as "Subject Matter Experts", focusing on a specific field of study, but can fill in for traditional Officers as required, although that tends to happen infrequently.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats airmanfour! That's awesome [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.

Carry on Sergeant!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, sir!
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats. Do I salute or just report straight to KP duty?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What does the four part of your handle stand for?

I never knew you were in nuclear, T. Somehow it fits in with your concerns about human extinction, which I always thought a bit strange before.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.