FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A music thread, and a personal journey

Author Topic: A music thread, and a personal journey
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember those old commercials for a snack food, the which I am forgetting, which showed us a weightlifer trying an overhead jerk while wearing roller skates? Of course, he died miserably, while a condescending announcer reminded us that "Some things were never meant to go together." Then, he cheerily proclaimed, "Other things always were," while exhibiting the snack food that combined pepperoni with nachos (or some such) in one small bite-sized bit.

Anyway, this is the long way around to what I am discovering to be a collaboration very nearly as fruitful as that of nachos and pizza - that being, eighties heavy metal and the symphony.

I do not speak of instrumental versions of classic rock songs that you somehow hear on elevators, strange beasts that they are. Rather, this journey begins with Metallica.

I purchased S&M shortly after its release, and went on to enjoy many hours of 'No Leaf Clover,' 'The Call of Ktulu,' and particularly the extended version of 'Enter Sandman.'

Then, soon after - indeed, later that very summer - it was Pink Floyd's "Us and Them" - less powerful than Metallica, but a lush musical experience nonetheless.

Many years have since passed.

I am, however today reminded of this phenomenon again, as mere hours ago I encountered the Scorpions performing 'Send me an Angel,' backed up by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra and a man who is apparently the Italian opera singer Zucchero.

Holy crow.

This is all.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Tangent: The Buffalo Sabres broadcasts begin with 'Hurricane 2000', probably from that same Scorpions/Berlin Philharmonic collaboration. Totally awesome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Try <i>Nightwish</i>'s second release, "Once." This is an incredible blending of Opera and Metal.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.