FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What makes you feel better?

Author Topic: What makes you feel better?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
According to the doctor, I should expect to be in bed for the next week. I have some cold or flu virus thing. I waited way too long to see someone, but I thought it would clear up on its own if I took Sudafed for a while. Anyways, I had to get a steroid shot to hopefully unclog my ears...it hasn't done too much yet; they still hurt a whole bunch. And I have to take these prescription decongestants. In the meantime, I feel like I'm going to pass out every time I stand up for too long.

I've got some fruit juice, and my best friend brought me noodle soup (without the chicken) and Spaghettios. I just don't feel like eating yet. My poor dog is very concerned, and in the meantime, I really need to finish some research and review some things for work. But....so tired....printer in living room....so far....

What makes you feel better when you have a bad cold/flu? I'm seriously considering aromatherapy at this point, but I don't know much about it. [Smile]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots and lots of sleep. Nothing will help so much as water and rest.

I tried getting better with Sudafed as well, and the doctor said it made thigns slightly worse. Sudafed only treats the symptoms and it can mess up your sleep and speed up your heart, so it actually takes longer to get better.

I was sick for a month in June, and I basically went to work and then came home, ate something healthy, and went to bed.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
((pH)) Hope you get to feeling better.

Me - when I'm sick, I just want everyone to totally leave me alone, in peace and quiet, and let me sleep. I just sleep my way through it.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Work called to check on me, so I told them I'd just print out the things clients had sent me and do research/consult/offer feedback by phone for now.

Unfortunately, I still need to manage to get to campus to sign my timesheet by tomorrow morning. [Frown]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The Princess Bride, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and Beauty and the Beast make me feel better when I'm too sick to want to read but not sick enough to want to sleep all the time. But that's just me. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a girlfriend that always wanted to see Annie it drove me crazy. I still can't watch that movie.

I don't get sick that often, but when I do, I turn into the biggest baby.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of self medication. Not recommended for everyone, though.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I always keep something steaming hot under my face like tea. I avoid heavy salt items like soup. I usually go through a whole box of tea every time I get a bug. That helps me stay clear.

I also drink lots of orange juice.

I hope you feel better pH, and I'm sorry I missed you when you were in San Jose, I was busy. [Frown]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Aw, 's okay Nick. Would've been nice if you could've made it to lunch, though. [Smile]

And hey, doesn't tea dehydrate you? Or do you drink decaffeinated tea? Does ginger tea have caffeine?

Augh, prescription-strength ibuprofins not helping. [Frown] I think I'm gonna dig through my movies...thanks for reminding me of Princess Bride, kq! I know I have a copy somewhere. [Smile]

-pH

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I drink the tea that makes you sleepy. [Smile] So yes, decaf teas are mostly all I drink sick or well.

quote:
"Stop saying that word, I do not think it means what you think it means." [Wink]
One of my favorite movies.

I know it's a long shot anyway, but if are ever in the northern CA area again, I'll try harder to make it. [Frown]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot showers or baths - I always feel too miserable to drag myself out of my bed/couch to take a shower or run a bath, but once I'm in I feel a lot better. Hot tea & toast, and lots of water. Mindless video games or tv shows. And lots and lots of sleep, preferably in front of a window with direct sunlight (I love the heat w/o needing heavy blankets).
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
NyQuil, taking long baths/showers with scented candles lit, lots of sleep, snuggling under blankets, and bottles and bottles of water.

Feel better. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
Lots and lots of sleep. Nothing will help so much as water and rest.

Agreed. And it really doesn't matter how you get the fluids, just that you do. Regular tea is ok, as long as it's not too strong, and as long as you drink lots of it. The dehydrating effect of the caffeine is generally more than balanced by the gallons and gallons I drink. [Wink]

But mostly, you need to sleep. Feel better!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you don't have an appetite, try and make yourself eat a few bites. Sometimes you'll discover you actually are hungry. Eat lightly, and during normal meal times, and you'll probably feel better than otherwise. Obviously, listen to what your body tells you. If you've attempted eating, but it's just not working, don't force it.

I usually do combinations of EmergenC*, Airborne*, Zicam, and NyQuil, as necessary. My illnesses usually begin with a sore throat, so I generally have a day or two warning before the actual serious symptoms. Starting up the immune boosting regimen early seems to make a big difference.

Hope you feel better, pH.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the advice to sleep a lot, drink lots of fluids. I like Gatorade (watered down) or putting a bit of real coke in my diet coke, to get sugar and calories absorbed.

I prefer aspirin to any of the alternatives. If my tummy is iffy, I take it in the form of Alka-Seltzer. Dissolved in koolade or caffeine free diet coke it tastes pretty good.

Vitamin C chewables, 6 per day (3g total per day) is a good immune booster.

Cold-eeze zinc lozenges really help sore throats. I find that if I suck on one at the very first hint of a sore throat, it can head it off. Even with a full blown cold, they seem to kill all the throat/chest activity so it's only in my head.

I find that the very best thing to take for congestion for me is Mucinex. It loosens everything and lets it clear out, rather than drying it up and turning it into a solid brick inside my head. I never take sudafed now but just take Mucinex. (Guafenesin (the active ingredient) is quite benign, too, having no side effects or drug interactions.)

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.