FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Unpleasant Feelings - A List

Author Topic: Unpleasant Feelings - A List
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
For every special moment that makes you feel good inside there are dozens of little things that can ruin your day. This shall be a place to collect that unpleasantness, and hopefully it wont fester.
  • Finding out the milk has gone bad after pouring a bowl of cereal and cutting up fresh fruit.
  • Sliding your feet into your shoes when you're too lazy to put them on, only to find that the tongue is lodged inside and you have to take them off and fiddle around anyway.
  • Waking up early to go jogging and running into spider webs [Smile]
  • The taste in your mouth about 5 minutes into a gum-ball from one of those machines, once the flavour's gone and you're stuck chewing putty.

Feel free to add on, anything from the mundane to world shattering cataclysms sure to ruin everyone's days.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
- Waking up and realizing that the injury you thought was fully recovered is acting up again.

- The smell of blue smoke when you turn on your newly built computer for the first time.

- Investing in a good stock and watching the market plummet.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
- Hearing that the beloved family dog bit a neighbor child and will need to be put down.

- Getting yelled at by a neighbor (who you'd got along with fine for 10 years) because he mistook an accidental spillage of oil for an intentional attempt to dump it down the storm drain.

Those first two both happened on the same day.

- Finding out that your other neighbor is about to build an enormous shed in front of the only remaining part of your view where development has not yet occurred.

- Coming home early to take the wife out for a surprise date and finding out that she's watching the neighbor's kids/has book group/etc.

- Finding that the goody I'd bought "for later" was found and eaten by the kids.

- Doing something nice for the teenage daughter and having her show no indication of appreciation whatsoever.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
-Knowing you really, really need to go get that blood test and have no reason or excuse for putting it off even one more day.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Pushing down a garbage bag into the can, only to have something wet and unknown squirt on you. [Angst]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The "I've realised what I've forgotten" feeling.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
- Investing in a good stock and watching the market plummet.

Indeed
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
-Throwing up in the morning, right after showering and brushing your teeth, when brushing your teeth is what made you throw up in the first place, so it's not like you can brush them again.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Overdraft fee.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- That queasy feeling right before you pass out.
- Getting that feeling in many circumstances where "normal people" do just fine - attempting to donate blood, in the dentist's chair, in the recovery room with my wife or child after their surgery, pretty much anywhere "mediciney"

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- Getting caught
landybraine
Member # 10807

- posted      Profile for landybraine   Email landybraine         Edit/Delete Post 
-Meeting up with your wonderful new boyfriend, expecting a wonderful night...then finding out that he's feeling "crabby and tired".

-Not being able to rise above it and becoming crabby yourself.

-The "r" on your computer not working right. Grrrrr....

By the way....Hi Hatrack! Sorry to complain my first post. The crabbiness hasn't quite worn off yet. [Smile]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- She says she's not mad, but you know she is.
landybraine
Member # 10807

- posted      Profile for landybraine   Email landybraine         Edit/Delete Post 
That was me last night, Matt.

-Knowing you should just say how you feel...but not.

I feel the need to make him a cake or something.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
-Girl who is scrupulously honest telling you a lie for the first time.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
* Discovering your cat has peed on one of your favorite books

* Typing up a long post only to have your computer crash, and the post wasn't saved

* Forgetting to save your game before a tough battle and losing hours of progress when the boss kills you

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

-Having 10,000 spoons, when all you need is a knife.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
<slaps MightyCow>
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
  • Playing a favorite song to some friends from church only to realize that it contains an explicit sexual message you never noticed.
  • When a woman offers you her hand, and when you start to kiss it, she jerks it back.
  • You have a great idea, and have just finished telling everyone about it when someone brings up a point that makes you look like an idiot.
  • You borrow something and forget to return it for so long you find yourself wondering which is worse, to give it back and be embarrassed, or pretend to forget and hope the owner forgets too.
  • You enter a public restroom and find abundant evidence that the last person in that particular stall was allergic to squid.
  • You gather the attention of anyone present and make the profound announcement, "I forgot what I was going to say."

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
When you're in a public restroom doing what people do in restrooms and someone walks into the stall next to you while talking on a cell phone! (and then leaves without flushing, presumably to not give away what she was doing to the person on the other end of the conversation).

That dream where you remember that you never dropped that one class and you have a final in it today.

Realizing that you were just overheard by someone you were gossiping about.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Realizing that you were just overheard by someone you were gossiping about.
I hear that! Yesterday in Express I was telling my friend that I wanted to slap that lady with the dog, only to round the corner and be face to face with said lady. Em. bar. ass. ing.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- The feeling when you're just about to catch something fragile, and realize that you don't quite have a good enough grip.

- Also applies to books dropped over an open toilet.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
- For guys: shifting your sitting position to something a little more comfortable and accidentally sitting on (or squeezing too hard) something very sensitive.

Just happened to me... ow... ow...

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

That's why you shouldn't sit on puppies!
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Being railed on publicly by your "best" friend and they throw things you told them in confidence in your face. Did I mention publicly? It was public all right.

WTB New Best Friend.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
-Watching an episode of 24 on a portable DVD player when, right at 1:54:32PM, the battery, apparently caught up in the excitement of it all, dies.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me just say, there are little specks of water on my monitor now. Don't drink and read funny posts. Thanks alot mighty. [Smile]

-Remembering embarrasing things from your childhood. I still blush at some of the things I did as a kid.

-When you know you are about to throw-up from the rush of saliva in your mouth.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
MattP: I need to take you out to dinner sometime, then you will have another entry for this thread [Big Grin] But seriously, sometime in the near future, we are practically neighbors.

-----------
When you feel the pangs in your stomach and you know that your bowels are going to explode, you have 2 minutes to find a suitable location. (This happened to me while I was on the great wall of China)

When you know somebody you love is in a terrible place, and you plead with them on the phone to come home and they tell you no.

When you not only cry, you are so overcome with grief you can't even speak coherently, and no more then one word every 2-3 seconds, and in the middle of your anguish an unexpected visitor walks in the door.

The feeling of a sunburn and you swear the water as you turn the shower on was set for lukewarm if not cold and somehow your water way decided to loop through a magma channel before coming out the shower head.

Flopping onto your bed mat inside your tent at a campout and finding out there was a sizable rock that somehow avoided your gaze when you set the damn thing up.

Finding out that because of something you did, you will never see your best friend ever again.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Discovering that it was the *adult* dog that pooped in the house, not the puppies, and that the same dog decided to eat your bedroom rug.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Cotton balls.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
When you hit "send" just as you realize the address was exactly the wrong one for this message.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Cotton balls.

You too! I thought I was the only one.
It's that sound they make right? That horrid chafing noise that no one else can hear but makes you want to vomit.
How I hate cotton balls, I have to get other people to open medicine for me, and I have to buy special q-tips. Once I ran into one of those 'do it yourself stuffed-animals' that a little kid had with the horrible stuffing sticking out and I ended up vomiting all over it.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battler03
Member # 10453

- posted      Profile for Battler03           Edit/Delete Post 
The guy you spent two days tutoring for his crucial test failed the thing; and not because he didn't know the material, but because he didn't read the questions carefully.

Dropping a blasting cap. That, right there, is a singularly unpleasant feeling.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
That exquisitely sinking feeling of dread and horror, of unease, that's like being on a boat, even when you're not. Slightly panicky, slightly despairing. That horrid sickness, that emotion that is so deep in your mind that your very body begins to shake. The one that makes you lose focus, makes you unable to concentrate, that makes you fidgity and dazed, so that you'll absent-mindedly turn pages in books at the rate it would take you to read it... eyes tracing over words, without reading a single one, without paying attention in the least.

That all-consuming feeling, without anticipation because the thing you fear has come to pass, and your mind can think of nothing else for minutes that feel like hours.

No screaming, no anger, no sound and fury, just that feeling of utter hopeless, physical emotion.

The only emotion I cannot emulate. The emotion of my very body, which my conscious mind cannot even think how to recreate.

The feeling brought on today by knowing my close friend is unable to speak to me again... that her parents think so ill of me for so little reason, that if they described me as nothing short of evil, it would be less than what they actually said.

The feeling I get, for standing by my beliefs about the world, and what's right and wrong.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.