FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: 25 years later, still compact and discy

Author Topic: New column: 25 years later, still compact and discy
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
25 years later, still compact and discy

On Aug. 17, 1982, our relationship with our music changed forever. The compact disc was born.

It’s hard to explain, for those of you who weren’t around then, how big a change this was. You just popped a CD into your player, and it played. That was it. No longer did we have to go through the rituals of cleaning and wiping our vinyl albums to reduce (but rarely eliminate) the hisses and pops. No longer did we have to wince as our 8-tracks clunked to the next track. No longer did we have to fast-forward our cassettes hoping to get past the whining sound they’d make sometimes. And with near-perfect fidelity.

CDs changed the way we stored our music, too. Records had to be kept in the sleeves, upright, away from damp areas, or we’d find we had a wonderful collection of big taco shells. 8-tracks never stacked well and filled up your car’s passenger side floor quickly, and eventually they’d wear out and play the same four songs over and over and over, driving your mom insane when you left one running all night. We all learned to patch our cassettes, and I remember the panic when the sound would suddenly stop and I’d have to scramble to pop it out before the tape erupted like the stereo was throwing up.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Revenge is sweet. [Evil]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a CD?
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
You know...a Certificate of Deposit?
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Cemetary Dance maagazine. I read it. You should too.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I was dating a guy in 1979-1980 who was very into the technology of music, and extremely picky about music quality (he would send an LP back if he even heard the slightest "pop" in the sound, which I couldn't hear).

He was excitedly telling me about this "new little discs" that was under development that would be read by lasers and had much higher quality sound than LPs, etc.

I said, "Nah. It will never happen. Won't catch on because people don't like change."

[Blushing]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a couple hundred records. Mine, my wife's, and my roommate's, as well as some from friends who no longer have a record player and use us as storage. Every now and then we'll break out some Cosby, but most of them time they just take up space.

I'm considering getting one of the record players with the built-in CD burner to convert 'em all, but after I was through I'd have no need for it ever again. Someone should rent those...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
had much higher quality sound than LPs, etc.
[ROFL]

While CDs have impressively high fidelity - much higher than most vinyl snobs give them credit for - they are not as high quality as LPs.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

You never listened to my records...
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, I'm still trying to find a needle that will play my old 78s.....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My very first job was in the movie department of a Media Play (books, movies, music, video games). DVDs were just on the verge of coming out, and I assumed they would be just like Laser Discs--pricey and ultimately a marketing failure.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't CD manufacturers used to boast about how scratchproof and unbreakable CDs were? (Maybe I'm hallucinating this, but I remember them boasting about this... then quietly dropping that marketing angle at some point, perhaps after they'd had small children of their own.)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a ridiculously large record collection as well. I remember my Dad saying that he knew he would be stuck with my Mom for life the day they combined their record collections. Oddly, the only record I can remember listening to is the Chipmunks' holiday album.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
About the only LP I ever listened two was a recording of Henry the 8th...which explains quite a lot, actually.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Plaid- yes I've heard that too. Interestingly people have found over the last few years that the first generation of Cds are actually wearing out and falling apart. There were some long term design features that were not added for a few generations of early CDs.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon:
We have a ridiculously large record collection as well. I remember my Dad saying that he knew he would be stuck with my Mom for life the day they combined their record collections. Oddly, the only record I can remember listening to is the Chipmunks' holiday album.

I remember listening to more records than that, but my dad loved to slow down the Chipmunks albums physically on the player, and you could hear David Seville singing normally.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
They said they were more durable and scratch proof than records were, and they are.

They are also harder to break.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.