FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » RIP Joybubbles

Author Topic: RIP Joybubbles
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
An amazing guy.

His wikipedia article.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My two favorite quotes. Well, the ones where I feel I can see him through his personna:

quote:
Probably if he found out I saved up to take a train, and all this stuff, he’d probably think I was so crazy, he’d commit me to somewhere in the Poconos where I could be of no further harm. [laughs]
quote:
"Do you realize you might be headed for hell this instant? If you walk out of here smiling, I haven’t done my job." You know, I could do preaching like that if I wanted to, but I don’t know if it would bring the world more joy.
P.S. I was halfway through it, alternately rolling my eyes and fascinated by the depth of his auditory life, and then I remembered that becoming as a child is one way of stating the goal of Christianity.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just crying, that was so beautiful to read. I don't agree with everything he said, of course-- but the kind of person he is, how he shared ways his joy in life helped others without him even trying, just trying to be joyous and a good person, that really touched me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried too, about the lady whose mom ran over her imaginary friends with her car. And about the things they said to him in the school for the blind, how God would flush him down the toilet or whatever. I love how he just helps the phone company and won't take money for it because all the paperwork and stuff makes it too much trouble. I also loved the swimming pool, how much fun he had. I totally think he got a lot of things right that we most of us get wrong in life. I think he has a lot of his priorities straight that the rest of us have messed up. I'm just glad there are weird people like him in the world, and think it's a shame that he died so young. What an amazing thing life is! [Smile]

"sometimes instead of warming yourself by somebody’s fire you have to light one"

"Some of those grown-up things, for a child, when you really do all that, it’s really neat to pretend like you’re a grown-up, and go up with all those papers and get stuff with seals on it." I totally feel like that every day, like all this is a game I'm playing at, and I'm enjoying the make-believe where I go to the office and I give my presentations and stuff but really I'm just this kid having fun. [Big Grin]

"When I was little and died, I went to this beautiful place, and people there I met told me that I had decided before I was born that it (being blind) was part of my mission somehow. Then I forgot most of what they told me when I came back, but I remembered that part."

"I think that’s the essence of what this childhood is about – a different way of seeing. You sit down in front of a dandelion, and see it as a beautiful flower, and learn that you can talk and listen to stinky socks. When you find them in a closet, you say "Socks, do you want to stay this stinky?" and they say "No." You rinse them out, and realize they’re your first two friends in Pittsburgh. When I came here and was kind of overwhelmed that first Friday .... they made real good stoppers in the bathtub."

"But if I just settle back and be me, you know sometimes curmudgeonly and sometimes being kind of rude and sometimes feeling bad, and sometimes maybe even road rage – except I don’t drive, but you know. Being a wounded healer, and not being perfect, but there are times when both of us in the world are bringing each other joy, you know."

[ August 19, 2007, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.