FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » iPod problems - just me?

Author Topic: iPod problems - just me?
roxy
Member # 3416

- posted      Profile for roxy   Email roxy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my iPod for about three years, and today I couldn't get it to charge. I wonder if I'm the only one that has had battery problems with their older iPods, or is it just me?
Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had an Ipod for about seven or eight months now and I've noticed a drop in the total charge already. I think it's a universal thing.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Are all iPods built so you can't replace the battery yourself, or just the newer ones?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
All iPods are built such that if you'd like to switch your battery, you need to take it to an apple store to have it replaced. It costs something like 70 dollars for a replacement battery, but they typically only need to be changed out every couple years.
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're at all decent with electronics, there are guides to manually replacing the battery. Do a search, and see if it's something you'll feel comfortable doing.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
This weekend I dropped my iPod nano in the toilet. I fished it out and proceeded with iPod CPR...but he didn't make it. I had him for a little over a year, so I'm wasn't terribly disappointed.

On the plus side, I went and got a replacement and I'm very happy with it! It cost less than my first one and has twice the space! (I had a 1G, now I have a 2G...I'm very low maintainance.) Wooooo!

And, to keep it on topic, I think the new one has a longer charge life than my old one. So I imagine the drop will take longer. At least I hope so.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gone through three different ipods, and I'm now under the suspicion that all of them are built with internal timers that determine when they'll start giving you trouble -_-...

Even now, the one I have needs to be smacked firmly on its backside to work properly about once a week.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Manufacturers claim they have fixed the rechargeable battery memory problem but I find they all still have problems.

Any time you buy something with a rechargeable battery make sure you run it all the way down before recharging it, especially the first few times. The battery gets used to being recharged after so many hours of use. Once it is accustomed to that time period it will quickly loose it's charge after the standard time.

I always do this with my cell phones and I typically get 4-5 days of use instead of charging it every night like most people I know.

I have noticed my Ipod doesn't keep the same charge it did when I bought it, sounds like it is a universal problem. It’s harder to let the battery run all the way down because I end up plugging it into the computer or car and it gets charged up weather I want it to or not.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine lasted less than a year before it just stopped working one day. No reason, no warning. I revived it for about a week by tapping the case every time it went wonky, but it died again.
Now it's just a brick.

I loved that little dude... [Cry]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.