FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm here!!: Any travel advice (esp. for...Israel...) would be greatly appreciated!

Author Topic: I'm here!!: Any travel advice (esp. for...Israel...) would be greatly appreciated!
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm headed off to Israel to study for the semester in less than 2 weeks...and I'm more nervous than I thought I would be! Is there any traveling/living abroad advice that I just can't live without? Any advice is definitely appreciated! I'm excited but I don't know what to expect or anything and I've never been on that long of a flight before!

[ September 06, 2007, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: socal_chic ]

Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
You should talk to Calvin Maker or Shani (what's her posting name? My brain's shorted out.) who are both quite familiar with Israel.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia. And there's Jonathan Howard, too, right (or is my brain totally messed up)? And Lisa lived there for a number of years. And there's at least one more person I can't remember, I think... socal_chic, you might want to change your thread title to include your destination to get their attention. [Smile]

My generic living abroad advice is this: It won't be at all the same as what you're used to. Accept that and enjoy your time there even if thing aren't what you're used to. [Smile] Yeah, not very useful, eh?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia! Thank you! <chastises brain>

I second the advice to put "Israel" prominently in the thread title.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* Please don't chastise your brain. Mine is certainly more faultier than yours, and then I'd feel obliged to chastise mine! [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice about thread title. I fixed it..hopefully that will help [Smile]
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
How are you traveling? Where are you staying?

Are you living in hostels and out of a backpack?

That factors into the "what I would like" versus "what I gotta have" discussion.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

Okay, well I'm actually living at the BYU Jerusalem center for most of the semester, but we do travel by train/plane (i don't know) to parts of Jordan and Egypt throughout the time we're there. When we travel, we'll be staying at hotels.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
socal_chic: I'll ask my sister about it, she did semester abroad in Jerusalem a few years ago.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

Thanks BlackBlade! That will be great.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Flashlight - always a good idea.

A security wallet/pouch for your passport.

Baby wipes/hand sanitizer - a good catchall for the "I'm traveling and I can't guarantee access to soap and water."

Pepto-bismal - or generic alternative. Tablet form is easier to carry. It doesn't take much to get an upset stomach and one shouldn't waste good travel time hiding in the latrine.

I don't know how stringent Israelie travel security is, but I love having a Leatherman Micra - perhaps a little pricey for a student, but I always found it useful.

http://www.onebag.com/

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka's been over there a number of times, as well. I'm surprised no one mentioned her in that list...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

That's an awesome website...very helpful! Thank you [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, Farmgirl, I mentioned I had a brain cramp, right? [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
rivka's been over there a number of times, as well.

Yup. [Smile] And I hope to make it back there within the next year -- I have a new niece to meet. [Big Grin]

There are a lot of things that are cheap in the US and expensive in Israel. (Used to be you couldn't get some of these at all; these days they're just expensive.) Of course, the reverse is true as well, but you don't need to know those things until you're there. [Wink]

Canned tuna and salmon, both of which are very cheap here (especially store brands or on sale) are often about 5x (or more) the price there. Ditto peanut butter. Paper products are generally more expensive, and often of lower quality (although they've vastly improved in the past 10 years). If you have a brand of tissues you especially like, bring some. Ditto notebooks. It can also be difficult to get specific brand of toiletries, especially if they are made in the USA. (If they're European made, they may be cheaper than here.) If you can't live without Scope, bring a couple bottles. If Crest toothpaste is the only thing that touches your teeth, ditto.

(Again, you can get almost any American brand there -- you'll just pay a lot for them.)

quote:
I don't know how stringent Israeli travel security is
VERY. And there is a security check at just about every major landmark. Carrying around anything with a blade is going to be more of a pain than it's worth. Having a multi-tool like a Leatherman where you're staying is a good idea though -- just be sure it's in your checked luggage when you fly.

One other thing. Israeli tap water is perfectly safe to drink, but it is somewhat high in some mineral or other than disagrees with some people's systems. You are advised to stick to bottled water (about as cheap as it is here -- buy any brand) if you're only going to be there for a few months. For most people, the acclimatization is only worth it if you're going to be there long-term. Some people don't react to the water at all. I usually don't. But given how cheap bottled water is there now, I wouldn't take the chance of drinking more than small amounts.

I don't know where the BYU campus is, or how much free time you'll have, but I can also make some suggestions in terms of where you should visit in Yerushalayim.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Pack sparingly. It's a bit of a pain to wash your clothes every few days, but it makes things much easier in the long run and gives you more room to pack souvenirs.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

Rivka,
The campus is "located on Mt. Scopus, near Augusta Victoria Hospital"...so says the website. We are allowed to travel throughout the city in our free time, provided that we're in groups of 3 or more. I would love suggestions on what to see and do. That would make my visit even better!

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok. IIRC, that's pretty far from just about everything. [Wink] Getting anywhere will start with "Take local bus to the Central Bus Station (Tachanah Mercazit)." [Big Grin]

I'll see what I can do about a list later. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

As promised, a list of places you must go while in Yerushalayim:

• The Western Wall (aka the Kotel) and related sights:
  • Not far from the Wall is the entrance to the Jewish Quarter. In the nearby area are an assortment of small shops. Some sell touristy junk; some sell food; but up the way a little is a wonderful collection of shops that sell unique art of all kinds -- and in all price ranges. I even managed to afford a few small things, like handmade dreidels for my kids.
  • In about the same area you will find a number of small museums.
  • Not too far away you will find the Cardo. If you have any trouble finding it, it's not far from this gallery.
  • It's no longer safe for me to wander through the Arab Shuk. I don't know whether it is or is not considered safe for Americans these days -- check with the folks at BYU. If it is safe, definitely do that too.
  • Still in the Old City area, be sure to visit the Tower of David.
  • You should also visit the Israel Museum at least once.
  • If you're up for it, Yad Vashem is definitely on the should-see list.
  • Not in Yerushalayim, but my mother tells me this new-ish place has become a big attraction for both tourists and locals: Mini Israel. I've never been, but it sounds amusing.

[ August 29, 2007, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

socal_chic
Member # 7803

Just wanted to write a brief update...I'm here in Jerusalem at the Center. It is so amazing! Thanks for the list of places to go...it will be great to have recommended options [Smile] We did a walking tour of the city today...It's so unreal to be here...I love it!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jealous.

Have fun!

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Have a great time! [Smile]

You've been warned about the upcoming holidays and how they will affect local bus schedules and commerce, I trust?

socal_chic
Member # 7803

Yep pretty much. We've had lots of orientations, warnings and reminders. And I'm sure as specific holidays approach, we will get even more instruction! We mostly walk wherever we want to go...at least so far it's been that way. We aren't allowed to ride Israeli busses but we can take taxis if we want to.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I been to Israel twice. I went with a BYU group in 1982 (This was long before the BYU Jerusalem Center was built) and then again in the mid 90s with my husband.

I visited the BYU Jerusalem Center when I was there in the 90s and it isn't nearly as far from things as Rivka suggest. My husband and I walked there from downtown easily. As I remember, the Old City is between downtown and the BYU center so it shouldn't be any problem walking to the interesting Holy Sites and Archaelogical Sites as long as your healthy.

My best memories of Jerusalem are of just wandering around getting lost. There are just so many wonderful things you discover when you are wandering. Bring good walking shoes and take every chance you've got to go exploring. You'll get in trouble with BYU if you go off alone, so make friends with some adventuresome souls as soon as possible. Don't put off doing things thinking that you've got months. It will be gone before you know it, so jump right in.

I wouldn't worry about the water. If you've been attending BYU, then you're used to drinking hard water.

Pack light. Israel is a very informal place so there is no need to bring dress up clothes. Bring practical clothing you can mix and match. Bring a skirt that is fairly long and a couple of long sleeve shirts. You will need them in conservative neighborhoods and some Holy Sites. Remember that modesty by Mormon standards is nothing compared to modesty by Orthodox Jewish or Islamic standards and respect that.

So many people in Israel speak English that it can be easy to forget that it is a foreign language to many of the people. Don't just assume people will understand your English. Its polite to ask if they speak English before launching into questions. Don't shout but if peoples English is a bit rough speak slowly and in simple sentences.

Bring Immodium (forget the pepto-bismal). Even though the water is perfectly safe in Israel there is something about traveling that often invites stomach problems. If there are other over the counter medications that you commonly use, bring them with you. They might not be over the counter there and are likely to go by a different name. Bring femine supplies with you. The varieties available outside the US is much more limited so unless you aren't picky, bring what you will need. Be prepared. Traveling often throws off peoples menstral cycles so, Aunt Flo could easily drop by any time.

There are lots of incredible archeological sites in and around Jerusalem. Enjoy them. I'd avoid the Old City middays on Friday when large crowds are leaving the Al Aqsa Mosque. The Palestinians don't have the same sense of personal space as most westerners. Getting trapped in a crowd can be very distressing with strangers pushing against you on all sides. Watch out for Arab men. I had troubles fighting off men who wanted to put their hands on me even when I was with my husband.

I hope BYU still takes the students snorkling in the Red Sea. It is unbelievable.

Eat a falafel for me.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.