FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Five Pen Pals

Author Topic: Five Pen Pals
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
If you could pick five pen pals across space and time, who would they be?
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus Christ
my future self
St. Paul
Aristotle
Lao-Tse, except that he'd never answer the letters

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
What are your 5 Irami?

Mine:
Jesus
Emperor Qin Shi
Joseph Smith
William Bradford
Orson Scott Card

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Jo Rowling
my mother
Oscar Wilde
Shiblon
Jesus

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Bazy Tankersley
Elizabeth Zimmermann
Jo Rowling
Margurite Henry
Maude Hart Lovelace

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea, but I'm intrigued by the banner ad that came up promising to calculate the name of my ideal lover.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein.
Asimov.
DaVinci.
Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo.
Thomas Bangalter.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
"The chance of a relationship working out between Demonspawn and Succubus is not very big, but a relationship is very well possible, if the two of you really want it to, and are prepared to make some sacrifices for it. You'll have to spend a lot of quality time together. You must be aware of the fact that this relationship might not work out at all, no matter how much time you invest in it."

The love calculator gives them 47%.
----
Okay, so I do think I'd like to be pen pals with Isaiah, Kafka and William Blake. And Emily Dickenson.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Einstein
Beethoven
Dali
Debussy
Jefferson

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Asimov, Qin Shi Huang, The Doctor, My futureself, a Chinese girl from present day.

If I'm allowed a 6th, Abraham Lincoln.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
What a fascinating topic, Irami.

For reasons I'll go into later, and assuming we would be able to correspond in a language mutually understandable:

Confucius
Ibn Sina
Voltaire
Christine de Pizan
Anais Nin

I like "my future self," too (brilliant [Qaz]!), but I'd never write back. [Smile] I know all too well my own epistolatory habits, or lack thereof.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
"The chance of a relationship working out between Demonspawn and Succubus is not very big, but a relationship is very well possible, if the two of you really want it to, and are prepared to make some sacrifices for it.

heh heh

I don' wanna know 'bout them sacrifices, Dude.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: I'm guessing they might involve small animals, blood, or both.

Jane Austen (I think she'd be a GREAT letter writer)
My mother as a young woman
Franz Joseph Haydn
My younger self (a twist on the future self thing)
Jim Henson

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, could Qin Shi Huang be written "Chin Siu Hung" as well? the Martial Artist from Toisaan, Guandong province?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
WEB DuBois: An insightful black thinker with a literary bent.
Hannah Arendt: She is a strikingly powerful thinker who would have lucid opinions about many issues I hold dear.
Friedrich Nietzsche: The energetic philologist would rock my world with every letter, I'm sure.
Edmund Burke: He is a WASP company man with a nuanced view about why it's important to be a WASPy company man.
John Steinbeck: He has written some of my favorite novels, from characters to story and pacing and plot significance. It was his life's work, and I could use the help.

[ August 24, 2007, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not try writing your first letter to each of your hoped-for penpals? It's likely to be quite an illuminating exercise.

Then maybe you could try to write what their reply would be, from what you know of them. Sounds like fun. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and mine are Richard Feynman (we would laugh about so much together, and he could explain stuff to me that I don't understand), Dostoyevsky (I write and convince him to hang on during his darkest hours, and let him know he's going to be the world's best novelist someday), Antoine de Saint-Exupery (because he'd be delightful company), Joybubbles (ditto), oh and I want to reserve room on my list for 2 or 3 friends that I talk to now though not often enough. They are most delightful company indeed. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Jane Austen
My younger self (SO agreed -- I've so much to tell!)
My future husband
Jesus (I'm not even religious)
All of Monty Python

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Asimov, Qin Shi Huang, The Doctor, My futureself, a Chinese girl from present day.

If I'm allowed a 6th, Abraham Lincoln.

I already got Qin Shi Huang Di Blayne, and I've already told him not to correspond with you. [Wink]

I'm actually kinda jealous I did not think to write my future self.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Corresponding with my future self would likely lead to the destruction of my future self, wouldn't it? So that's not a good idea for me, I rather like the guy.

My 5, in no particular order:

Jesus
Thomas Paine
My father, age 40
Dave Barry, the funniest letters anyone could receive
John Marshall

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
Real:
Maimonedes, Napoleon, Anne Frank, Benjamin Franklin, and Shakespeare

Fictional:
Taleswapper (Do you really think William Blake was anything like him?), Dumbledore, Valentine, Jonathan Dorian, and Forest Gump.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Whats with the interest in the first emperor?
On that note, is the OP's focus here to learn from these individuals (incoming) or to affect the past in beneficial ways (outgoing)? Or a bit of both?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Whats with the interest in the first emperor?
Because he accomplished a feat of astounding magnitude and I would love to see into his mind as well as plant little suggestions that would pay big dividends later.
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the characters I made up, a long time ago, named Daniel.
Barack Obama.
Death, from the Discworld.
Frazz, from the comic strip of the same name.
President Bartlet, from The West Wing.

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Myself one week in the future
Socrates
George W. Bush ten years from now
Ann Coulter...past, present, or future
Jesus

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh... weird... I never noticed the similarity in the names before. Anyhow, sorry for my historical ignorance, Blayne.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Benjamin Franklin would make a fascinating pen pal just because he was such a fascinating writer. I can imagine his letters would be quite a treat to read!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Einstein
Douglas Adams
Bertrand Russell
Siddhārtha Gautama(The Buddha)
Aldous Huxley

5 was hard, I had another 5 that could easily have been swapped in for the 5 i ended up going with.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Penn Jillette (or Teller, I'm not too picky!)
Albert Einstein
Harry Houdini
William Shakespeare
Gaius Julius Caesar

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Tyler
Member # 10595

- posted      Profile for Pam Tyler   Email Pam Tyler         Edit/Delete Post 
Irami, are you referring to the Sir Edmund Burke who was kicked out of England during the revolutionary war for sympathisizing with the colonists? Just curious, as he is a relative.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Pam Tyler:
Irami, are you referring to the Sir Edmund Burke who was kicked out of England during the revolutionary war for sympathisizing with the colonists? Just curious, as he is a relative.

Are you sure he was kicked out? I'm reasonably sure that never happened. He didn't even leave parliament.
Pam Tyler
Member # 10595

- posted      Profile for Pam Tyler   Email Pam Tyler         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure that he was actually kicked out, but when my family tells the story, he had to leave England, and that is when the line began in
America. Just family stories, I have not followed up with any hard research. Haven't even done the geneology to make sure that he is actually a relative, although my maiden name is Burke. Just stories my grandfather told to me as a child.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Moses
Tolkien
My great-grandmother Ella
Erma Bombeck
My great-grandaughter (I'm assuming I'll have one, with four kids there's good probability one of them will produce offspring who will then produce me a great-grandaughter [Smile] )

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Pam Tyler:
Not sure that he was actually kicked out, but when my family tells the story, he had to leave England, and that is when the line began in
America. Just family stories, I have not followed up with any hard research. Haven't even done the geneology to make sure that he is actually a relative, although my maiden name is Burke. Just stories my grandfather told to me as a child.

Hmmm. It appears Edmund Burke died in England and had but one living son, Richard. I am trying to figure out what happened to him, he may very well have immigrated to America but I am positive Edmund spent his entire like in Britain.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Homer's scribe
Callimachus (really, any of the great Hellenistic poets would be fine, but Callimachus above all)
Freddie Mercury
Benedict Arnold
JRR Tolkein

(edit for spelling)

[ August 22, 2007, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Carrie ]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Beyond neat question!

David Byrne
Quorthon
Frank Zappa
Fred Rogers
Varg Vikernes

Five seems like a perfect number. (Edited one out, because I wouldn't really need any grand fictional situation to start one)

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
My Father as a child
My Wife as a child
Peter (the Apostle)
Enoch
Douglas Engelbart

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
John Rawls - (I love his theories, it would be wonderful to have discussed them with him.)
Milton Friedman - (Fascinating thinker. And a good balance to Rawls, I think.)
Benjamin Franklin - (Witty and genius, I mean... who wouldn't want to talk with him?)
Queen Elizabeth II - (She's been around for quite some time, it would be awesome to see history from her perspective.)
My future self - (I have no idea what I want to do for a career, so some insight on what to go for/what to avoid would be awesome. Also... It would be nice to get some investment advice. [Wink] )

*Edit*
Oh! Oh! I need to add a sixth for myself.

Joseph Nye - (I'd want to discuss soft power... I just... agree with it?)

*Edit V 2.0*
I know I'm being evil with the editing... but I also would want Noam Chomsky. How could I not?

Is it cheating to break down the five people? I mean... Sure it forces you to limit who you could talk with, but...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Carl Sagan
An alien...(across space right? I think corresponding with aliens would be pretty interesting... once the kinks were worked out)
God, assuming his existence(It would be nice to be able to lay some questions to rest)
My dad, when he met my mom
My mom, when she met my dad

OK. That's 5. My reasonings, for those not mentioned above: Carl Sagan's books have been are amazing and are always inspirational to me, and guided my brother into his present course of study, Planetary Astronomy. He seems like a very interesting, intelligent, and fun person to know.

To know my parents, specifically as they met each other: 1. just to see what they were like as kids, and 2. To get good advice, from the people most like me in the world, on relationships and what have you...

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas Sowell
Florence King
Gloria Naylor
Josephine Esther Mentzer (Estee Lauder)
Aerin at the age I am now

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lamarque
Member # 10825

- posted      Profile for Lamarque   Email Lamarque         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Feynman - Totally agree with Tatiana on this one. He'd be able to explain many intersting things and share many interesting stories. Anyone who has read "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman" will understand.

Jesus - although he'd probably just tell me stories that I wouldn't understand [Wink]

Tolkien
Karl Marx
Winston Churchill

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got more letters from Jesus than I've actually taken time to read already. And I'm rather guilty of not writing back.

quote:
Shiblon
I'm writing a book about him. He's a lot of fun.

Nostradamus :)Though I'll probably find out that relationship didn't work quite the way I thought.

Seriously, though, maybe Dostoevsky.
Orson Scott Card.
My sister that tried to raise me
My best friend
Annie Subjunctive

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.