FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LE Modesitt, Jr. – Recluce Novels galore!

Author Topic: LE Modesitt, Jr. – Recluce Novels galore!
Presences
Member # 8492

- posted      Profile for Presences           Edit/Delete Post 
I was introduced to LE Modesitt by simply pulling a random book off the shelf of our local library. Why randomly pull a book and commit to read it? (My brother and I challenged each other to do this)

The book was “The Magic of Recluce” and after reading it I felt I had run across a wonderful author. I’m currently half way through the second book of 14 in The Saga of Recluce series and I'm enjoying more then the first book!

Has anyone else read any books by Modesitt? Has anyone read all 14 from the Recluce series? (By the way, he is working on the 15th book).

Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read all 14. But, overall I like him. I like his Shadowsinger series and some of his more hardcore sci-fi like the Parafaith war better.

With the Recluce series he has the bad habbit of having everything meaningful happen in the last three chapters, and it gets a little tiring waiting for it, when you don't see where the plot is going the rest of the time.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read some of Modesitt's short stories, but I don't think I've read any of his novels. I will check them out.

Nice challenge. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the fantasy of his book I would reccommend for a first reading. http://www.amazon.com/Soprano-Sorceress-First-Spellsong-Cycle/dp/0812545591/ref=pd_sim_b_3/105-5338996-5858864?ie=UTF8&qid=1187735981&sr=1-2
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read quite a few of them. They are enjoyable books...but for the most part they repeat the same plot over and over again using different characters.

One thing I liked was the books spanned many generations of people. It was interesting seeing the main characters in one book become the legends and historical figures of the next book.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed these books, and my girlfriend is reading them right now. She is also on book 2.

I didn't mind the repetitive plots or the slow pace. All the chapters about creating metalworks, cabinetry, or societies had their points to make. And even the repetition had a meaning.

Has anyone else noticed how many times a character eats something spicy and is told to eat some bread to take the spice out of their mouth? In most cases I would find that an annoying scene to repeat, but for some reason, with this author, I find it endearing.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I read several of them and enjoyed them, but I don't like the ones in first person at all. I found the repetetive plot annoying when the character didn't grab me. If I liked the main character, I was good with it.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read them all, and most of Modesitt's other work as well. So I suppose I enjoy them. I think the best in the recluse series are the two books about Lorn and Cyador.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive rather enjoyed his "Corean Chronicles" too. The Parafaith War was actually pretty funny. Definitely a lot of stuff in there from his idea of how a militaristic branch of Mormonism might develop and be in the future. Interesting ideas, anyway.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first nine installments in the Recluce Saga and most likely will read the rest in the years to come. I recently re-read the 1st, 5th and 6th novel, and even though I cannot deny that at times the stories might come across as repetitive, I don't have an issue with that.
I like the whole idea of Chaos vs. Order, since it's basically applicable to our reality.And even though the first person viewpoint is something you may have to get used to, it doesn't detract from the book as a whole.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read many of the books in the Recluce Saga but I'm only really a fan (the only ones I've read again, that is) of The Magic of Recluce and The Magic Engineer- or whatever it's called.

I read the others quite a long time ago, though, as a much younger person. The other books might mean more now.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing I liked was the books spanned many generations of people. It was interesting seeing the main characters in one book become the legends and historical figures of the next book.
That was my favorite aspect as well. I remember The Towers of Sunset being especially good, but I read them years ago. Didn't they all follow the formula of a hero defeating a succession of bad guys who weren't quite as strong as the hero? By the way, I've always thought Modesitt was a her and was surprised to find out she was a he.

[ August 22, 2007, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Presences
Member # 8492

- posted      Profile for Presences           Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know about different characters. I've been reading the second book waiting for the characters from the first book to appear. Thanks for the input.

May ORDER prevail and CHAOS obliterate itself!

Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the Recluse stories, but they began to repeat themselves, and I got a little tired of being hit with a plot hammer. [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.