FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » -ish, -ese, -ian, -ard, -ite

Author Topic: -ish, -ese, -ian, -ard, -ite
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the generic term for these? They're suffixes (and shouldn't that be suffices?) that turn a noun into an adjective.

In Hebrew and Arabic, they're all -i. Israeli, Iraqi, Baghdadi, Yemeni, etc, but in English, we have a ton of them.

I started thinking about it when I saw Alcon's Possessive Form of Troll? Of Hobbit? thread. It doesn't seem to me that "possessive" is the right term here. I thought I remembered it being "genitive", but I looked that up, and it's wrong.

Where's Jon Boy when you really need him?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
English borrows from everywhere. That's why it's so rich and nuanced.

Don't forget -ero and -ista borrowed from Spanish. Also -ling from who knows where, as in Zergling, Earthling. My brother calls the people who work at the dump dumplings. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
English borrows from everywhere. That's why it's so inconsistent and irregular.
There. Fixed it for you.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"This boy can grow up to be a huge man, but still have a boyish face. 'Boy' is a noun, but the ending 'ish' makes it an adjective. 'Boyish': that describes the huge man's face. Get it?"

Edit: By the way, "-ish," "-ly" and other suffixes that change the part of speech of the word are called "derivational suffixes." I don't know if there's a word specific to derivational suffixes that make adjectives from nouns.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

MPH, that too. [Razz] I happen to think it's worth it for all that richness and nuance, particularly since it's my mother tongue.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remembered to bring home my Latin grammar, I'll try to look it up. I do know they have particular names, and we had to study them in Latin last year.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee is right that these are all derivational suffixes, but I'm not sure if there's a term that refers specifically to the class of suffixes you're talking about. To clarify, are you asking about all suffixes that form adjectives from nouns or just about suffixes that form nouns and adjectives from the names of countries and peoples? That's what all your examples seem to be, so I wasn't sure.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I was really thinking about the latter. But maybe there isn't a special term for that. I vaguely remember there being one in Arabic, but that was so long ago that I don't remember.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Also -ling from who knows where, as in Zergling, Earthling.

That would be from the Norse, as in Yngling, atheling.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The same suffix existed in Old English too. The diminutive use of that suffix (gosling, duckling, and so on) possibly came from Old Norse, though, since there's little evidence of that use in Old English.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite such suffix is -ified.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
What if you were from King? I live near King, NC. Us folks from Walnut Cove call them "Kingamites", but I don't think that's, strictly speaking, totally correct. Ah, sometimes I love the rural South. [Wink]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Kingish? Kingonite? From King?

I would plump for Kingonian, but I only speak da lingo, not make the rules...

At home we use the -ificated, as in the study needs to be tidyificated etc, but then English is a minority language around here [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
There are some patterns based on word form (if you're from Nonsensa, you're a Nonsensian) and it would be interesting to identify more.

But we will keep some arbitrariness, at least, I don't think you could look at these forms, knowing the base word and the suffixes, and distinguish the differences in meaning:

manly, manlike, mannish
continuous, continual, continuing
uninterested, disinterested

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the others, but
quote:
manly, manlike, mannish

all definitely have slightly different meanings. If "mannish" was the desired adjective, "manly" wouldn't do at all.

*loves English*

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
My brother calls the people who work at the dump dumplings. [Smile]

I love that. I'm not going to have to contrive situations in which it would be natual to talk about people working in dumps, specifically so that I can refer to them that way.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you can call folks who are depressed and down in the dumps dumplings, too.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lamarque
Member # 10825

- posted      Profile for Lamarque   Email Lamarque         Edit/Delete Post 
I ate dumplings in China. [Wink]
Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Cannibal!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
I don't know about the others, but
quote:
manly, manlike, mannish

all definitely have slightly different meanings. If "mannish" was the desired adjective, "manly" wouldn't do at all.

*loves English*

The others are different too.

continuous: without interruption
continual: happening again and again
continuing: not yet ended

uninterested: not caring about an issue
disinterested: not personally connected to the issue and thereby able to judge fairly and impartially

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Also -en (dwarven, elven). Hmm... the one I think of most is -ian I think: Saratogians for folks from Saratoga, Bloomingtonians for folks from Bloomington. Hoosiers for folks from Southern Indiana? English makes no sense. It's cool, I speak it well enough by instinct, but I don't think I could ever study it and understand it's rules with anything but instinct. It's too confusing!

Also: I thread I started spawned a new thread!! I think this is a first for me. *bounce* Lisa, you just made my day... night... morning. Well whatever time it is, you made it [Smile]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone from Michigan is called a Michigander, properly, however there are those who believe Michiganian is correct. I, for one, feel that they are sadly mistaken and should embrace the our awesomely idiosyncratic word for coming from Michigan.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
It really tickles me that people from Halifax are Haligonians.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

And Liverpoolers are Liverpudlians. [Smile] That one's awesome.

Noemon, my elder brother is gifted at nomenclature. He gave clever names to everything when we were growing up. He also calls roofers "roofians", as a play on ruffians, because he claims they all are. =)

The dumplings scavenge, you see. So if you have a load of stuff to take to the dump, and perhaps there are some items that might be questionable as to their suitability for the dump (dumplings are quite particular about their dumps, maintain long lists of things they do not allow, and all their rules are subject to individual interpretation) then if you put something highly scavengable prominently displayed on top of your load as a sort of offering to the dumplings, they are most likely to bless the entire load. The dumplings are a great force of nature, like the greek gods, and they must be similarly appeased. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

People from Alabama are Alabamians, a thing that some people apparently find quite hilarious. [Smile] But idea that they should be called Alabamans instead is just wrong.
Qaz
Member # 10298

Alabama -> Alabamian
Canada -> Canadian
Panama -> Panamanian
Florida-> Floridians
Georgia-> Georgian (but the "i" is not pronounced!)
Montana-> Montanan
Arizona-> Arizonan
?!

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Qaz:
Georgia-> Georgian (but the "i" is not pronounced!)

Um, no. If the i wasn't pronounced, the g would be hard.
Qaz
Member # 10298

It is silent, like the e in "bale" or "fade" (which also affects the pronunciation of nearby letters). If it *were* pronounced, we would call the state JOR-jee-uh.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

What Qaz said. The i is effectively more like a diacritical mark.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
People from Hong Kong are, "Hong Kies" (sounds like keys)
I hate that people from Utah are called, Utahns. It just sounds so boring. We should be Utahnians, or perhaps Utahnese.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

Utahneros.
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
And I've always thought it was U-tards.
[Razz]

edit to add: Hoosier is by far the most awesome.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MEC:
And I've always thought it was U-tards.

It is. But we allow them their little delusion.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.