FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Comics I don't get

Author Topic: Comics I don't get
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this is a really funny comic. But I don't get it.

Link.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the alt text - put your mouse over the comic and see what comes up. That might help. [Smile]
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you hover over the image to see its title text? It's a Star Wars reference.

Edit: Curse your superior timing!

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just funny, it's hilarious.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you need the alt text?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I did. It's been years since I've seen Star Wars, and I never memorized or quoted it.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't, but it might help those who aren't as familiar with Star Wars quotes.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Did you need the alt text?

Nope! It's funny because the man made a dumb Star Wars reference and the girl responded by actually force choking him and showing her disdain for his tired quip.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
I did. It's been years since I've seen Star Wars, and I never memorized or quoted it.

That's okay, dear. We've always known you were a little "special." [Big Grin]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

You know, I'm not going to do it because I don't want it taken the wrong way, but if things weren't so slightly sensitive, this would be a good post for a *Forcechoke* [Razz]
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
xkcd is geared at nerds. The nerdier you are the funnier it gets. I downloaded Feisty Fawn this week and the comic strip got still funnier.

He's lambasted people who quote Monty Python too much as well.

So the main character and his girlfriend are talking about the moon.

Main character makes Star Wars reference: "It's not a moon- it's a space station".

Girlfriend is annoyed by too many Star Wars references and tells him so, using a Star Wars reference. The fact that she used a Star Wars reference to tell him to stop making Star Wars references is why it is funny: "I find your lack of faith disturbing'+ Darth Vader force choke. Though how she can actually force choke people (hence the alt-text)...

But now I explained it and it's no longer funny.

Edit: Here's when he complained about Monty Python:

http://xkcd.com/16/

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
to read the complete title I right-clicked for properties... mousing further left did not help.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
It took me a minute, and I had to read the alt text. Absolutely hilarious once I got it though.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know the quote until what the girl said, then I realised it was a quote and there could be only one thing it was from since she was choking him without touching him.

I didn't get that her response was a reference too. That makes it extra funny.

And I don't even like Star Wars.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [ROFL]

I really need to a) start quoting xkcd extensively and b) start checking the comics more often. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one where he talks about OSC.

http://xkcd.com/304/

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uindy
Member # 9743

- posted      Profile for Uindy           Edit/Delete Post 
That was hilarious.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
The other OSC based comic is here:

http://xkcd.com/241/

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
he he [Big Grin]
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Did you hover over the image to see its title text? It's a Star Wars reference.

Edit: Curse your superior timing!

I understood that it was a Star Wars reference, because of the choking, but I didn't recognize the line.

And... WAHHHHH! I just read through the whole XKCD archive a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't know about the alt text. Now I'm going to have to go back and start from the beginning again.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky you!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.