FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Comics I don't get

Author Topic: Comics I don't get
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just one really.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just a comic I don't like. I've read grill assembly instructions that are funnier than Carlos Mencia.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
CarlosMencia is mostly known for stealing jokes and routines from real comedians, and performing them badly. Heck, he even steals from YouTube. Everything that's original from him either sucks or is nastily bigoted or both.
If he didn't have the race card to play, he'd have been banned from performing in comedy clubs a long time ago.

[ August 26, 2007, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Reader,
Ditto. I should clarify that I don't get how he's been so successful.

Mencia in a nutshell:

"Do you really think a Jewish guy came up with that joke?"

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mencia has been successful for mostly the same reasons that Louis Black has been. They both have an angry, ranting style of delivery and they both have a truly excellent sense of comedic timing.

If you ever just read text of Black's bits, it's generally not very well-written stuff. Half of his comedy is in his facial expressions and index fingers. Mencia, on the other hand, recycles two or three jokes per ethnic group, and throws in a rather poor impression of the mentally-challenged in between to distract you from it. That shouldn't have been enough to keep my attention through several episodes of his show and a couple of routines, but somehow he made it work (for a while).

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

I think Black is brilliant and hilarious, but I'll leave it at that so I'm not accused of being biased. [Smile]

As for Mencia, if by "excellent timing" you really mean "predictable" then sure, I'll agree with that.

I think the thing about him that irks me the most, even more than his "everyone is racist so just embrace it" bit is that he really does seem to have at least a little talent. But he takes jokes too far (maybe he should be on MadTV?). This ethical philosophy he constantly preaches is immature at best and horrifying at worst. And he thinks he's so damn clever when half the time he stole the idea from someone else.

I've actually seen quite a few episodes of his show because I'm too lazy to change the channel or turn off the tv while I'm doing school work (horrible studying environment, I know), and I admit he'll get a chuckle out of me every once in awhile, especially with his on the street antics, but usually I just shake my head and wonder how my best friend of ten years thinks he's the funniest man alive.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.