FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » At long last, Gonzales resigns (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: At long last, Gonzales resigns
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Aaaaugh! "My family and I to begin...."
*clutches head*
Even in resignation, Gonzalez stuns me with his Not-Someone-Tom-Can-Respectness.

Sounds like it's a good time for he to brush up on the difference between a subject and an object.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag is right: I think impeachment this late in the term is unlikely. Also, loyalty to Bush and/or Republicans in general is the most important criteria for the new AG. Anyway, the choice isn't between Chertoff and some Mr. Smith reformer, it's between Chertoff and some other Republican lawyers willing to go along with Bush.

Curiously, Gonzales can possibly still be impeached despite resigning! I didn't know this till this week, but resigning doesn't protect Cabinet Secretaries from impeachment. In fact, the only Cabinet Secretary ever impeached was impeached after he resigned (though he was acquitted in his Senate trial): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_W._Belknap

Impeach Gonzales, the most inept, lying AG in memory!

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Errr...I think people are missing my meaning. I think it's likely that there were things that the DoJ under Gonzales and White House have gotten up to that are clear high crimes and misdemeanors that will lead to people getting impeached and going to jail assuming that the AG post doesn't go to a Bush insider. With Gonzales resigning, this seems less likely, but I still consider it a significant possibility.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
After watching that top ten thing...

My God in heaven. He's either lying or the most inept AG ever.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Errr...I think people are missing my meaning.
I got your meaning. My comment stands.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

This comment?
quote:
For one there are many, many, many honest people who care about serving the people and not just the President who do not see impeachment as either desirable or deserved.
I don't see how that makes any sense if you understood my comment.

In the scenario I said was a possibility, the honest person finds out new information in his role as the Attorney General. You're not saying anything about what I said.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
This comment?
quote:
For one there are many, many, many honest people who care about serving the people and not just the President who do not see impeachment as either desirable or deserved.
I don't see how that makes any sense if you understood my comment.

Quote the entire comment, Squick, not just part of it.

In the scenario I said was a possibility, the honest person finds out new information in his role as the Attorney General. You're not saying anything about what I said.

You said the appointment and confirmation of an honest, person who cares about serving the people and not just the president would make impeachment "a very real possibility."

I disagreed with your conclusion.

I didn't do a detailed analysis as to why. We've done that, gotten nowhere.

I don't see how you couldn't see how stating that you are making a huge leap and stating one reason why it's a leap - with an explicit statement that it's only one reason - isn't saying anything about what you said.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Because the reason you gave has nothing to do with what I said.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes, it does.

Your whole case is based on the assumption that no honest person who cares about serving the people and not just the president has such information.

I think that's a huge leap.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

So you believe that there are honest people in the very upper levels of the Bush administration?

I think you're the one making a huge leap.

And, again, what you first said didn't address what I said at all.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
So you believe that there are honest people in the very upper levels of the Bush administration?

I think you're the one making a huge leap.

Yes, but you're wrong.

quote:
And, again, what you first said didn't address what I said at all.
Yes, it did. Repeating it doesn't change that fact.

I'm sorry you can't seem to comprehend that people other than yourself are entitled to make posts that state only conclusions without making complete arguments. But when that's what you post, expecting more is fairly ridiculous.

Continuing to insist on something that is manifestly untrue in light of subsequent explanation is simply sad.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

President Bush has selected retired federal judge Michael B. Mukasey as his new attorney general, sources said yesterday, moving to install a law-and-order conservative at the Justice Department while hoping to avoid a confirmation fight with Senate Democrats.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.