FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have seen the universe in a remarkable way….

Author Topic: I have seen the universe in a remarkable way….
Presences
Member # 8492

- posted      Profile for Presences           Edit/Delete Post 
Check it out. It’s called Google Sky.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
[derail] 32 posts in two YEARS???? Is that, like, allowed? [Big Grin] [/derail]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
celestia is also pheonominal, if those two got together think of the potential.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Presences
Member # 8492

Goody Scrivener -

[Wreck] 0 posts about Google Sky. Sorry, but you lost....
Google sky is not to be confused with Google Earth....

Google Sky was just announced 08/22/07...

[Taunt]

Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure she was refering to your post count total, not commenting on any discussion of Google Earth or Sky.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Presences
Member # 8492

Calaban - thanks for setting me straight...

Goody Scrivener,
Goodness, my humble apologies O great 6742 post master…

And you think this is the only profile I use....

Presences
Member # 8492

I meant dkw, not calaban.

In any case, thanks for info calaban about celestia. I'll take a look.

Happy sky gazing and posting.

The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Google Sky is unbelievable.

Go back 20 years and show this to the president, and he'd have you hauled away for being an alien invader. And they would probably zap you with electricity.

But anyways...I am a member of my school's astronomy club, and GoogleSky is going to become an integral part of any discussions or presentations from here on out.

I especially like zooming in really close to pretty things (M101, M51, for example) and then slowly zooming out. It's exhilarating.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yawn.

You people could buy this software for years.

It's called "Starry night".
It's been on the market for years. It came free with my Astronomy textbook Sheesh.

Heck, they even made a free widget for Macs.

Universities with Astronomy Depts usually have this program installed and you can do everything I saw in that ad with it.

Not to promote any one particular product, here's another company's product.

The more you pay, the more you can do (like operate a research telescope), but if you really need to know where something moving is in the sky, you go here.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it works this way, but I imagine Google Sky should have the ability to be continuously updated with new images.

I mean, I've never really been into Google Earth or Google Sky, but isn't that what they do? Like, I can I go and see last night's eclipse?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yawn.

You people could buy this software for years.

yeah, but we poverty-stricken are pretty excited.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka: no, they do not do that, and there would be no way not costing quite a lot of money (probably a couple orders of magnitude more than they spend on the projects now, maybe even more) to do so.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.