FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which Genre is Considered 'Worse'? Sci-fi, or Fantasy?

Author Topic: Which Genre is Considered 'Worse'? Sci-fi, or Fantasy?
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
By 'worse' I mean, morally wrong.

Which genre do more people rag on for being morally wrong?

I don't believe it's wrong to read Harry Potter, others do.

I don't believe that reading The Dragonriders of Pern is wrong; neither does anybody I've ever met.

Why is that? Why does fantasy draw so much more ire than sci-fi?

I was just wondering what everyone else's experience has been?

In my experience, more people view fantasy books to be wrong, in and of themselves (Unless they are some sort of allegory) than sci-fi books.

I'm not trying to berate people that believe that certain fantasy books are evil, I was just wondering (In my typical random way) whether or not sci-fi books get as much of a bad rap. Are they censored as much? If not, why not?

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, there's no "witchcraft" in sci fi and there frequently is in fantasy.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
And the bible is pretty much mute on the subject of cyborgs, space ships, and such.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
And people don't like HP because they've heard of it. (Same with LotR, for some groups.) Lots of people hate The Giver (scifi)--they know to hate it because it won the Newbery and it's used in lots of schools. No one is up in arms about under-the-radar books, and most scifi is under the radar for most people...particularly the type of people who think books are super scary.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't some religious people really get angry when they heard about Octavia Butler's 'Parable of the Sower'? It's kind of before my time, so I wouldn't know. That seems like a book that, if people haven't read it, some people might find extermely offensive.

I, personally, really liked it, by the way. [Smile]

I don't know. It was just a random thought.

I just realized how few people I know have a problem with sci-fi... Not that large amount of them have problem with fantasy.

Hmm. I'm rambling now. I'll stop.

[Smile]

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
And the bible is pretty much mute on the subject of cyborgs, space ships, and such.

Cloning?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
What is supposed to be objectionable about the Giver?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Cloning?
It mentions cloning in the bible?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Something about not suffering a clone to live, I think.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:

And here I've been, burning clowns at the stake all this time.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
A misreading that I think still works out for the best. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
I think some of it may have to do with there being more fantasy written for the YA market than science fiction. People get more up in arms about books they think their kids are actually reading. Most all the science fiction (even Robert Heinlein's "juveniles") are over in the Adult section of most bookstores and libraries. [Dont Know]
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan, I don't think you can argue that either fantasy or science fiction is 'morally wrong.' I base many of my morals and beliefs on some of the stories of the great minds in science fiction. These genres are not there to corrupt youth, or debase religion.

However, there are specific cases where these stories to attack religion (e.g. Arthur C. Clarke's The Star). Well, maybe not attack, but throw into question. Toss in that element of "What if...?"

As for Harry Potter, I would love my future children to read the story, to take out the morals JK put into her books.

And some can be objectionable. How about OSC's Kingsmeat? How far would you go to save peoples lives? Would you be willing to hurt them, and hide the truth from them? Would you sacrifice your companionship and compassion for a greater purpose? The story is disturbing, but far from immoral.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Cloning?
It mentions cloning in the bible?
From the reactions of most religious groups, you'd think so.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ray Bradbury:

quote:
Science-fiction is the law-abiding citizen of imaginative literature, obeying the rules, be they physical, social, or psychological, keeping regular hours, eating punctual meals; predictable, certain, sure.

Fantasy, on the other hand, is criminal. Each fantasy assaults and breaks a particular law; the crime being hidden by the author's felicitous thought and style which cover the body before blood is seen.

Science-fiction works hand-in-glove with the universe.

Fantasy cracks it down the middle, turns it wrong-side-out, dissolves it to invisibility, walks men through its walls, and fetches incredible circuses to town with sea-serpent, medusa, and chimera displacing zebra, ape, and armadillo.

Science-fiction balances you on the cliff. Fantasy shoves you off. (From the Introduction to The Circus of Dr. Lao)

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*creeps up behind Scott R*
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Ah, there you see you are labouring under a misapprehension. It stems from a mistranslation from the original Hebrew.

For clown read MIME.

One of the later discoveries within the Dead Sea Scrolls was the following passage:

"And it came to pass that before the assembled throng, Mizkbiek did vest himself in stripéd garb and make as if he were entrappéd in a box.

Wroth was the Lord and smote him even unto death."

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW - returning to the matter at hand

Fantasy often deal with ideas of Good and Evil on an grand scale, including Gods and Men (my caps).

This is bound to rile those of a more fundamental approach to religion.

Robots and laserbeams are less threatening.

*edit*

That said, didn't Stranger in Strange Land cause a furor for its 'immorality'?

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
quote:

Ah, there you see you are labouring under a misapprehension. It stems from a mistranslation from the original Hebrew.

For clown read MIME.

One of the later discoveries within the Dead Sea Scrolls was the following passage:

"And it came to pass that before the assembled throng, Mizkbiek did vest himself in stripéd garb and make as if he were entrappéd in a box.

Wroth was the Lord and smote him even unto death."

Very, very nice.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
*creeps up behind Scott R*

You're free-falling, too?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

But not on regeneration crèches.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The creche didn't go through labor and delivery in a barn. Just so we're clear here.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Science-fiction balances you on the cliff. Fantasy shoves you off. (From the Introduction to The Circus of Dr. Lao)
I was going to question this but I think that within the situation and they way that sci fi and fantasy are defined, it's right when it comes to the laws of the universe.

However, looking at it from a point of view that pays more attention to morals, traditional views and roles and other such 'rules', it is the opposite way around. Fantasy often presents a fairly traditional society, often one in the past. Sci fi takes societies, societal roles and regulations, pasts and futures, conventional identities and often smashes them to pieces. For example, novels that imagine a world where men are unimportant or entirely non-existent, or like in On The Beach where the human race just extinguishes itself in a puff of radiation, or in Neuromancer, where the virtual world rivals the real world... they may fit 'within' the scientific laws of our universe, but they don't fit within our expectations as a society. To lose our physical nature, to kill ourselves off, to demolish the male/female duality of our society, to have other societies conflicting with our own- these aren't "robots and laser beams" they are just as disconcerting as flying dragons and magic potions. That is, assuming you regard flying dragons and magic potions as disconcerting.

In addition, science fiction often reinvents, ignores or sidesteps the concept of God completely. Think of those books (Robert Sawyer?) where a Neanderthal world comes into contact with a Human world; or, like someone mentioned, The Parable of the Sower; or, Asimov's short story called something like The Last/Final Question. They are either Godless or actively questioning and rethinking the nature of God. Fantasy does this too, but I think that ultimately fantasy has a more religious nature.

I think that saying that fantasy is more edgy (or completely over the edge) is really only half the story.

I don't disagree that fantasy is generally considered "worse", though. It certainly seems to be very upsetting to certain people to have people throwing around coloured light.

Me, I'm totally clinging on to the edge of the cliff, one-handed, Aladdin-style.

"First throw me the lamp!"

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Teshi, I think that's a good point.
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Based entirely on my own experience of some of the reactions that I've had from people to my reading of fantasy, I'd say that some of the problem comes from the fact that some people just have no imagination at all and are extremely frightened of those who do.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll agree with Ms. Attitude above me.
Neither genre is bad; it's narrow-minded people who are the bane of literature.

To not be a jerk and completely circumvent the question though; yes, fantasy is perceived in a worse light [Smile]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I work with a woman who told me she didn't read Harry Potter because she didn't take to "witchcraft stuff".

Only my extreme respect for her allowed me to keep a straight face.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
But guys, people who don't want to read Harry Potter, or don't want their kids to read it - that's completely within their rights. Please, let's not paint people with a large brush marked "Ignorant, fundamentalist nutjobs" just because they decide a certain genre is unsuitable for their children to read.

I do know people who don't want their kids to read books that portray witchcraft as something positive. That's their choice. I don't agree with it - I'm reading the HP series aloud to my kids, we're on Prisoner of Azkaban right now - but I do respect their decisions and choices and their rights to make those decisions.

I get called a prude because I'm not fond of entertainment that portrays adultery as a positive. I don't want to watch or read things that glorify the act of cheating on your spouse. That's because marriage is something very important to me, and I don't find disparaging it to be entertaining.

I also know people who choose not to let their kids play video games - they think the games can influence their kids negatively. Again, I don't agree, my kids play video games, but it doesn't mean that the people who feel that way are necessarily narrow-minded, or have no imagination, or anything else. It just means they, as a parent who is deciding what media they want their child exposed to, drew the line in a different place than I would.

Where it becomes an issue is when people try to restrict access through censoring, or banning books. While I think there is a place for limiting what might be available in a school library, especially in the lower elementary grades, I am against outright book bans that prevent me from having access to a book simply because it might contain elements of fantasy or witchcraft.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Didn't some religious people really get angry when they heard about Octavia Butler's 'Parable of the Sower'? It's kind of before my time, so I wouldn't know. That seems like a book that, if people haven't read it, some people might find extermely offensive
Did you read Parable of the Talents? I mean, you know, I liked it too, but it wouldn't take a very big reach to say it was a little anti-religion.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is supposed to be objectionable about the Giver?
1. It presents a utopian society that is school-centered and anti-family.

2. In this society, euthenasia is standard.

3. There is a graphic scene involving euthenasia.

4. Jonas goes through puberty.

These are pretty standard objections. It was one of the most challenged books in the 90s.

By the way, I tend to agree with Belle about the parent's right to determine what the child reads. But that parent shouldn't determine what other people's kids read or don't read--and that's what challenges are about: removing a book from a library or reading list. (I'm ambivalent about removing books from elementary school libraries. I can see why some parents would NOT want a young child reading The Giver. I probably wouldn't want my own kid reading it before, say, age 10 or 11. This is a total guess on ages...my expertise definitely doesn't start until about age 12.)

Edited because I had misrepresented what Belle said

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally am incredibly frustrated with people that won't read Harry Potter for moral reasons. They usually ARE narrow minded and fearful. Or just ignorant. And I don't mean ignorant in an insulting way, I mean they aren't familiar with the actual contents of the story. Harry Potter is all about some sacrifice and love thy neighbor.

In Harry Potter people aren't denying God(s) or worshipping God(s) and magic is genetic.

It's like flipping X-Men. It's not witchcraft, it's running faster because you have longer legs.

And if anyone finds that offensive because it has semantic or superficial similarity to witchcraft in our context, then fine. But they probably aren't friends with me. I'm pretty witchy, anyway.

I agree that it is their right to avoid art and literature...but it is also my right to avoid *them*.

Anyway, along with the topic:
Fantasy usually gets a bad rap for witchcraft and sorcery.
Sci Fi gets a bad rap for not inviting the G to the O to the D to the party.

I don't find any genre in particular offensive, though there certainly are books that offend me. They aren't usually fiction though. [Smile] There is only one book I have ever destroyed/thrown away, and its title is not suitable for Hatrack. I just loathed it that much.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
This:
quote:
There is only one book I have ever destroyed/thrown away, and its title is not suitable for Hatrack. I just loathed it that much.
Almost intrigued me as much as this:

quote:
I'm pretty witchy, anyway.
[Smile]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:

In Harry Potter people aren't denying God(s) or worshipping God(s) and magic is genetic.

It's like flipping X-Men. It's not witchcraft, it's running faster because you have longer legs.

But you are forgetting...for the most part, the people who hate the books have not actually read them...so they don't understand this.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
The kids my mom used to teach would get really into the witchcraft part of the stories. Interestingly, she said it was the ones whose mothers were Wiccan or Pagan who would obsess about it. Or the kids claimed they were witches. Or the moms claimed they were. <Insert appropriate level of disbelief here.>

Personally, I found the magic to be the least offensive part of the books. Point a wand at something. Say some faux-Latin. Done. I'm not into witchcraft, but I'm going to take a wild leap and guess that's not how it works.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair to the people who object on moral grounds to witchcraft: there are plenty of people who have just heard that witchcraft is bad in church or somewhere else, and just never stopped to properly analyze fantasy as anything other than something which contains witchcraft. Doesn't necessarily mean they're foolish or narrow-minded, it just means they haven't really thought about what's in the books beyond that point.

I worked in the maintenance department at a school, and a lot of the people I worked with were southern baptists who had been taught that witchcraft was bad, and then extrapolated that to fantasy being bad. But when I'd stop to talk to them about why, or explain why I felt differently, they listened to me, and a bunch of them did change their minds about letting their kids read Harry Potter. A couple even borrowed copies from me to give to their kids.

Often as not, it's just people not thinking.

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

Thanks for responding everybody (It's labor day weekend, and I haven't been able to check back yet.)

In response to an earlier question, no, I haven't read 'Parables of the Talent' yet. I mean to, though.

In case anybody misunderstood me, I really wasn't trying to condemn anybody who moniters what their kids read. I have no problem with it. Especially since I used to be anti-HP. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.