FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Plugging in a wrong adapter...

Author Topic: Plugging in a wrong adapter...
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
To those techno-wizards out there...

I accidentally plugged something into the wrong AC adapter yesterday. When I realized the thing wasn't working, I unplugged it and realized what I'd done. The adapter was REALLY hot. Like, near burn to the touch.

The thing is, I don't have the correct adapter with me, evidently. Do you guys think I may have broken it for good? Or should it still work?

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
No way to tell, really, until you plug it into the right adapter and see if it powers on.

You could've very well fried it (depending on what the adapter was and what it was supposed to be, as well as whether the device has any overcurrent protection [like a fuse]), or it could be fine. It's impossible to say with the information you've given.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've fried stuff by plugging into the wrong adapter, but it was a quick burn, rather than a slow simmer.

Sizzle! Snap! Death! Like that.

And then that uncomfortable "oops" feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Just off the top of my head, if the adapter got hot, it sounds like the device was trying to draw more current than the adapter could supply. So in all likelihood, the adapter may be fried, but I'd bet that the device itself is probably fine.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...

On a slightly different note, does anybody know anything about "universal power adapters"? Not the kind that let you plug into different power sources in different countries, but the kind that claims to be compatible with most kinds of portable devices?

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If they are sufficiently adjustable (and most are) they usually work fine. Just be sure you have everything set correctly for your particular device.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.