FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm sorry, your ticket-buying priveliges have been revoked.

Author Topic: I'm sorry, your ticket-buying priveliges have been revoked.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Opening weekends:

Rush Hour 3: $49 million

Mr. Bean's Holiday: $ 9.9 million

Stardust: $9.1 million

...And Stardust has been falling off steadily, now at $26.4 million.

I'm not claiming Stardust is a perfect movie by any stretch of the imagination. But I think most people here would agree it's the kind of movie we'd like to see more of (based on decent books rather than warmed-over sequels and based-on-television retreads; fantasies that assume the viewer has half a brain and more attention span than a caffeinated chihuahua, and so on.)

Conversely:

MR. BEAN'S VACATION?!!!!
[Wall Bash]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It seriously boggles the mind.

Rush Hour 3 was amusing. But I'd take Stardust over it any day of the week.

I'd have to blame the lack of strong showing from Stardust on advertising. You get a lot of blockbusters between May and July. You get a lot of blockbusters in December. That's why The Golden Compass is getting huge publicity way ahead of time. TV and movie previews. Even Mr. Bean's Holiday is getting a lot of TV time. Stardust got nil, and you didn't even hear about it until a couple weeks before it came out.

Even good movies need a little muscle behind them, or the masses will never hear about them. That's why horrible movies with tons of marketing dollars behind them do so well.

[ August 30, 2007, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'd have to blame the lack of strong showing from Stardust on advertising. You get a lot of blockbusters between May and July. You get a lot of blockbusters in December. That's why The Golden Compass is getting huge publicity way ahead of time. TV and movie previews. Even Mr. Bean's Holiday is getting a lot of TV time. Stardust got nil, and you didn't even hear about it until a couple weeks before it came out.

I definitely saw TV commercials for Stardust, and print advertising, and articles, and other publicity, not to mention the flyer that came with the final Harry Potter book in Amazon orders. Mr. Bean's Holiday hasn't gotten a fraction of the publicity, as far as I've noticed; on the other hand, that film is more of a known quantity.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
I definitely saw TV commercials for Stardust, and print advertising, and articles, and other publicity

No kidding. LOTS of it.

Now, in my case the publicity was counter-productive, but I'm not the target audience anyway.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I must've been living under a rock, I just never saw it. And I AM the target audience.

I didn't even hear about Stardust until it was almost about to be released. I first heard about the Golden Compass at least six months ago, and it's still another four months until it'll be released.

Could also be the different places we live, but it's possible I just haven't been watching much TV lately and that's why I missed it. But I know I've seen those stupid Mr. Bean commercials all over the place. Like Jimmy Johns commercials, they probably just stick in my head because I hate them so much.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
If it wasn't for hatrack, I'd have no idea that a movie named "Stardust" had ever been released. I think I may have caught the tail end of a trailer on the TV, because it showed De Niro dressed kinda pirate like.

I may very well be the target audience, I don't know enough about the movie to say one way or another.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw any advertising for Stardust either. The only thing I saw was a poster in the movie theater, probably 2 or 3 weeks before I saw Stardust.

I agree with Lyrhawn. I definitely think Stardust could have had more advertising power behind it.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Only ads I've seen for Stardust have been a single bus-shelter billboard by my office, a bunch of copies of the movie-tie-in version of the book, and one trailer attached to (I think) Harry Potter. No posters at either of the two theaters I saw Harry Potter at (although posters in the process of being hung for Golden Compass while we waited at the IMAX). My boss must have seen something, he asked me if I'd ever read the book because he knew that's my normal genre.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, that makes me wonder if it's just some weird mid-western thing. Or Chicago thing.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a few commercials. I intend to see it.

I see maybe two movies a year in the theatre. And I like movies. I'm just not in the habit of going.

I think this is a problem with the movie industry in general. The people who are in the habit of going to the movies for entertainment are, for the most part, teenagers who are happy with crap.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think this is a problem with the movie industry in general. The people who are in the habit of going to the movies for entertainment are, for the most part, teenagers who are happy with crap. [/QB]
That is partly because teens have way more disposable income! I love going to the movies but it is so expensive for dh and I to go that we just don't go very often anymore.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Rowan Atkinson has bought years of lame movies out of me merely for the Black Adder series. He can do anything he wants for the rest of his life, no matter how lame, and I'll still think of him as a genius.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw any Stardust ads.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Stardust ads, and they looked lame. I am interested because of Hatrack.

I've seen more Bean ads than Stardust ads. I had never heard of Bean or Rowan Atkinson before Rat Race.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Arghh, now I wish I saw it when I was at the theatre. I just saw the poster and heard nothing about it, and based on the posters I thought that it was either a chick flick disguised as a fantasy film or a movie trying to make money based on the Pirates of the Caribbean fad.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
um, isn't it still in theaters?!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Stardust ads (which I saw tons of) made it look really sucky. I only went to see it because I'd read the book--and the first time I saw the ad, I wasn't 100% sure the movie was based on the book!
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw some of the people on Leno, and that is about it. All I got from those appearances was that it was an "adult fairy tale"

I didn't even know it was based on a book until I heard people talking about it here.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I think most people here would agree it's the kind of movie we'd like to see more of (based on decent books rather than warmed-over sequels and based-on-television retreads; fantasies that assume the viewer has half a brain and more attention span than a caffeinated chihuahua, and so on.)
Actually, I don't want to see either. I almost never enjoy movies based on books I like. I'd much rather they leave my favorite books alone. I haven't read Stardust yet, so that I can enjoy the movie (I'll be getting the DVD).
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd say it was one of the better adaptations of a book that I've ever seen, even with the changes and additions. Many of them were good, or at least in the spirit of the book.
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I must've been living under a rock, I just never saw it. And I AM the target audience.

I didn't even hear about Stardust until it was almost about to be released.

I heard about Stardust ahead of all the advertising, but that's because I read Neil Gaiman's blog. [Smile]

The movie starts here on Thursday and I'm going to see it with friends for my birthday on Friday. I loved the book. I love all of his books.

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
Actually, I don't want to see either. I almost never enjoy movies based on books I like. I'd much rather they leave my favorite books alone. I haven't read Stardust yet, so that I can enjoy the movie (I'll be getting the DVD).

I figured if Gaiman was happy with the movie, I probably would be, too. He's one author who understands that a book and a movie are not always at their best when they are made exactly the same just for the sake of it. Maybe this is because he also writes screenplays. As long as they capture the feeling and themes of the book, I'll like it.
Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
There have been lots of ads for Stardust...the problem is the ads all SUCK. They make the film look TERRIBLE.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
There have been lots of ads for Stardust...the problem is the ads all SUCK. They make the film look TERRIBLE.

QFT. They did nothing to make the movie stand out from any other recent or upcoming fantasy film. Only reading about it here and the other satellite forums has kindled any interest on my part.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivygirl1937
Member # 10918

- posted      Profile for Ivygirl1937   Email Ivygirl1937         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see anything for Stardust. Actually, I didn't even hear of it until Farmgirl called me on my birthday and told me to go watch it. Mr. Bean's Holiday, however, I saw quite a lot and the advertisments reinforced how much I didn't want to see it. Probably depends on where you live.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.