FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lots of fresh tomatoes - what do I do with them?

Author Topic: Lots of fresh tomatoes - what do I do with them?
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
My new coworker gave me about half a dozen fresh tomatoes from her garden. I'm delighted, but I never, ever buy fresh tomatoes and I have no idea what to do with them.

Any ideas beyond slice them up and sprinkle salt on top? I was hoping to do something cool with them. [Smile]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Salsa
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Chop one or two up, cook them alittle, throw them in the pan with scrambled eggs. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm...
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You can make a really nice spaghetti sauce.

Scoop them out and mix the chopped up insides with some seasonings and chopped other veggies, then drizzle with olive oil for a fun salad.

Slice them in half, then top in some way (a little salt, a thin layer of dijon mustard, followed by a mix of bread crumbs, shredded parmesan, and butter is classic; most variants that include cheese and bread crumbs seem to work well, I've added pesto, for instance), then broil them.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomato soup.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Try a good caprese

Cut into thick slices.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cover each slice with fresh mozzarella.
Sprinkle with a good extra-virgin olive oil (and balsamic vinegar if desired).
Add fresh basil (roll leaves and cut into thin strips across the roll.

Delicious!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchup?
Or perhaps one needs to have royal permission to create that... [Smile]

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. These are great ideas!
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck them (tomatoes are le yucky).

Or evaporate all of their water and eat them as chips. (Sun dried tomatoes are le win).

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We have lots of extras this year, as well (we love fresh tomatoes, but have more than we can keep up with), so we've been making Salsa. Yummy.

You want I send you the recipe we use?

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Go see a really bad comic.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things we've been doing with ours:

Sliced on bagels, with cream cheese and pepper.

Chopped and tossed with steamed or sauteed zucchini and fresh basil. (Don't cook the tomatoes. And if you choose to steam rather than sautee the zuke, a little olive oil and basalmic vinegar adds a nice flavor.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yummm

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Slice...insert between meat, bread, cheese and lettuce...enjoy.

Mmmmm...now I'm hungry.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I would LOVE the recipe, farmgirl. [Smile] [Smile]

Sadly, I don't like sandwhiches and I don't like tomatoes on hamburgers.

The bagel thing sounds very interesting...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Slice off the top, squeeze the seeds out over the trash can, dice them, and use them in any recipe that calls for canned diced tomatoes for a fresher, richer, sweeter taste. I generally figure 5-7 fresh tomatoes per can, depending on size.

Or make spaghetti sauce.

Or gaspacho (blech!) [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
You could have a tomato sandwich though! Super yummy. All you do is toast some white bread, slather with mayo, or your favorite spread, slice tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, put on bread and eat. And if you like hot sauce, that doesn't hurt either.

Ooh, or bruschetta. Which is essentially tomatoes chopped up with olive oil, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Eat on crusty Italian or French bread.

Every year we have an overabundant harvest of tomatoes. So my mom roasts them in olive oil in the oven, then packs about a cup into individual ziplock bags and freezes them. Then, whenever I'm making sauce, or anything that calls for tomatoes, I defrost the frozen baggies and voila, yummy fresh-ish tomatoes.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
Sadly, I don't like sandwhiches and I don't like tomatoes on hamburgers.

And you call yourself a Javert! [Razz]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
One thick slice of tomato
One thick slice of mozzarella cheese (the real stuff)
A little fresh basil
Some balsamic vinegar

Stack a tomato slice on top of the cheese then top with the basil and splash on the vinegar.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Review a lot of really good movies.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Because of this thread, I had a toasted tomato sandwich with mozzarella cheese for lunch.

Also, I am seriously considering eating the rest of the tomato from which I pulled slices for the sandwich. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the salsa recipe my mom has been using every friday for lunch at school.

2 large tomatoes or 3 small tomatoes- 1/2 in dice
1/2-1 jalepeno pepper or mild or sweet pepper- 1/4 in dice
2 slices of a large onion- 1/4 in dice
2 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed
1 Tbs cilantro or parsley
juice of one lime
salt
black pepper

For guacamole she switches the tomatoes for avacado, the rest is the same.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
Best way to peel tomatoes: Blanch them. Drop whole, washed tomatoes one at a time into boiling water and allow to roll until skins split. Remove tomatoes from water with slotted spoon and drop into ice bath. When cool, skins easily peel off. This also works with peaches.

Meat Sauce

1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 C onion, finely chopped
1 head garlic cloves, finely chopped
(I use a mini-food processor to get my garlic and onions really, really tiny)
5-7 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced (or 1 29-oz. can stewed tomatoes)
12 oz. can tomato paste
1 palmful dried basil
1 palmful dried oregano
1/2 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and deveined (for sweetness!)
2 C water
2 C fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

1. In large saucepan, sautee ground meat, onion, and garlic over med-high heat until meat is browned. Drain excess grease.

2. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, and oregano to meat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer.

3. Place red bell pepper and water in a blender and puree. Add to sauce and keep simmering.

4. Add mushrooms, green bell pepper, and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer one hour or more, adding water as necessary according to your desired thickness.

5. Cook spaghetti al dente. Place spaghetti in a skillet or another large saucepan over med heat and spoon desired amount of meat sauce over noodles. Thoroughly mix sauce and noodles and cook together about 5 minutes.

6. Place spaghetti in pasta bowl. Top with freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese. Serve with salad and fresh garlic bread. Enjoy!

(For extra zip, add two jalapenos, stemmed, but not seeded, to the red bell pepper and water in the blender)

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
my dad makes lovely tomato salad. it's just tomatoes, onions, cream, and salt and pepper. eat with fresh bread.

I love tomatoes. I am allergic to them but man i love them

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My new coworker gave me about half a dozen fresh tomatoes from her garden. I'm delighted, but I never, ever buy fresh tomatoes and I have no idea what to do with them.

Any ideas beyond slice them up and sprinkle salt on top? I was hoping to do something cool with them. [Smile]

Personally, I'd say just eat them, but I'm weird like that, apparently.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
my dad makes lovely tomato salad. it's just tomatoes, onions, cream, and salt and pepper. eat with fresh bread.

I love tomatoes. I am allergic to them but man i love them

You might say, you love them to death?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:

Personally, I'd say just eat them, but I'm weird like that, apparently.
Boon would be with you on that one...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Ricree is Boon? I'm so confused.

Anyway, this thread inspired my dinner. Whole wheat pasta with lots of pesto on it and small diced garden tomato on top. Yum.

ETA: As soon as I hit submit I see that I misread kq's comment -- I thought she wrote, "Boon, I would be with you on that one." So now I get it. [Wink]

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:

Anyway, this thread inspired my dinner. Whole wheat pasta with lots of pesto on it and small diced garden tomato on top. Yum.

No, Boon is Boon. She just likes to eat home-grown tomatoes straight off the plant, hand to mouth. [Big Grin]

And also *gags and runs to bathroom*

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
See edit above. And I gather that my original read was very, very wrong.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you need to do anything to a tomato before you eat it? Just rinse it off and take a big bite, just like you would eat an apple. It's a little messier than eating an apple, I'll admit, but I think it also tastes better than an apple and there's no core to dispose of. [Smile]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:
Why do you need to do anything to a tomato before you eat it? Just rinse it off and take a big bite, just like you would eat an apple. It's a little messier than eating an apple, I'll admit, but I think it also tastes better than an apple and there's no core to dispose of. [Smile]

My Mom has a huge garden, and whenever I visit she'll toss me every cherry tomato she picks.

"Shouldn't I rinse them off first?"

"Nope. It's clean dirt."

[Smile]

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:

No, Boon is Boon. She just likes to eat home-grown tomatoes straight off the plant, hand to mouth. [Big Grin]

And also *gags and runs to bathroom*

Oh yay, I'm not the only one. Usually whenever I mention this to other people, they get this horrified look on their faces and say something to the effect of "you eat it like an apple?".

Edit:

quote:

When I eat them, I tend to take a small bite, drink the juice inside, then eat until I come to another pocket of juice. A little weird, maybe, but I find it to be a lot less messy than just trying to eat it.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I tried it two ways.

For dinner, I sliced it up, put salt and pepper, and sprinkled olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and shredded low-fat mozzerella cheese on top.

Yeah, I know. It's all I had, and I was both hungry and lazy. [Smile] I melted the chees slightly, and that helped. The vinegar, oil, cheese, and tomato pockets were downright heavenly.

Then, this morning, I tried the fresh tomatoes in scrambled eggs with chedder and onions idea. That was also very yummy, although the eggs were a little watery and so cooked slightly different. Still, yum. [Smile]

Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
If they are Romas, cook them.

If they aren't, they are probably too watery to cook. You'll end up with a bunch of hot water and a little bit of tomato.

Here are some cool things to do:

* chop into chunks with onion, and chunks of mozarella (not shredded), and douse with wine vinegar

* slice and eat on toast

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:

My Mom has a huge garden, and whenever I visit she'll toss me every cherry tomato she picks.

"Shouldn't I rinse them off first?"

"Nope. It's clean dirt."

[Smile]

That sounds like something my father - who grew beautiful, delicious tomatoes in our backyard - would have said. [Smile]

The tomatoes he grew didn't need rinsing, either, because he didn't use any kind of pesticides on them...we used the pick the tomato worms off the plant and smash them method instead. But it's better to rinse store-bought tomatoes, I think, because you don't know where they've been or what's been sprayed or sprinkled on them.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.