FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefox works, IE doesn't. Website help?

Author Topic: Firefox works, IE doesn't. Website help?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been continuing work on my website dedicated to helping non-profits with SEO and it's slowly but surely starting to look OK. Now a problem raises its head.

While the page loads fine in IE, if I reload the page by clicking the forward or back arrow, the header image is misplaced. It shifts forward out of its box somewhat. If I then refresh the page, it goes back to its normal position!

What could be causing this? I am flummoxed, and would really appreciate insight. A free web cookie and hug to the first person to solve this.

[ August 30, 2007, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I can't get it to screw up in my IE...Granted, I still use 6.0...cause I have firefox [Big Grin]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm like Boris: I use IE 6.0, and it won't screw up. It looks fine on reload.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Well that's good to know. Now I just have to resist chucking my computer out the window in frustration [Razz] . Anyone using the latest version of IE out there getting this problem, though?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
What text size do you use in your browser?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
In IE 7 when I go to another page and then use the back button the header is very slightly left-shifted. The letters all show, but it overlaps the left border of the box. Refreshing fixes it, just like you describe.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto... I viewed your site in IE 6.0. I don't see the problem you mentioned. Have you checked the style you use on the header image by any chance?
Personally, I use Firefox with an extension called HTML validator. Something I did notice when I checked your source code was that you placed the beginning body tag before the beginning head tag when it should be after the the closing head tag. I don't think this is the cause of your problem, but it might help to move the tag anyways. Sorry I couldn't help you out.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest you clear your cache in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. You don't really know if it is actually loading the webpage from the site or from the cache. I've encountered many similar problems, in general, that are cured by clearing the Cache.

Give it a try.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

BlueWizard: I tried that and in addition, dkw reproduced the problem. So probably not my Cache at fault.

Thanks to larisse for the ideas; I'll definitely clean the code up.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.