FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Got my first car :O

Author Topic: Got my first car :O
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Blue 2008 Toyota Corolla. Needless to say I'm pretty happy, but I def feel a bit spoiled.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I don't even have my (full) license yet.

--j_k, procrastinator

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh nice! Certainly better than my first car (which was a 1991 Buick wagon, wood panels and all).
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
My first car (that I bought myself) was an ancient Volkswagon Fastback. It broke down roughly once a week with some major system failure. [Smile] I bet you have a lot better luck with your Corolla. [Smile] They're awesome cars!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was a 1989 Cutlass Sierra. Then I bought a 2002 Ford Focus brand new. Awesome car, but horrible decision to buy it brand new. Oh well, I actually just paid it off this month, which I've very excited about, and I plan to drive it until it dies.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivygirl1937
Member # 10918

- posted      Profile for Ivygirl1937   Email Ivygirl1937         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky! My first car was a 1990 Nissan Maxima that had holes in the muffler and catalytic converter. It rumbled a lot...though I liked that about it.

*misses the rumble*

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Well congrats on the new car. Hope it works out well for you.

As for mine, I had a dodge dynasty that was soon replaced by a (then new) dodge dakota sport. I still have it. We call it the beast...because it just won't die. 120,000 miles on it, and it won't quit. still has a lot of original parts on it that should have been replaced by now....I'll get on it.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, SoaP. There's nothing wrong with taking what's handed to you with a smile, as long as you don't let it get to your head.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooo nice car. It will last you a long time. Toyota has been using that 1.8 liter engine for years and it's still running strong. Very cheap to maintain too.

Especially nice for a first car.

I remember my first car fondly. 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Very nice on the inside. It had broken motor mounts so it would lurch when you take off, but hey, it was a nice car. The bad thing: 214,000 miles.

Details about your Corolla? "S" type? 5 speed? auto? front/rear/side under-spoilers?

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you don't have to jump out to re-seat the gear change rod every time you go into reverse, like my first car...

Good luck, and happy motoring!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Its auto-transmission, and I'm pretty sure that it's a CE. Its got a V4 engine which was probably a good decision on the part of my parents, even though a V6 would have been amazing. It handles really nice, almost better than my dad's Accord, and that is a V6. It has no spoilers sadly, but there is a nice car electronics store nearby, so I can probably buy something nifty for it there once I get the money.

I gotta say Nick, a Jeep Grand Cherokee is a sweet first car too. I love Jeeps, they are always cool.

My parents were telling me that when they tried to buy the car, the auto salesman thought that they were Mexicans and tried to get them to sign a loan with 7.99% interest, which is ridiculously high for a loan on a Corolla. That really makes me mad, especially since they could definitely have gotten some extra cash with that trick off of some of the people around here. I knew buying a car was bad, but not that bad.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Toyota Corolla.
Big time stuff! Big time stuff!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
'77 tbird. We called it big red. Fun times.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Its got a V4 engine which was probably a good decision on the part of my parents, even though a V6 would have been amazing.

Corollas don't come with a V6 anyway, they're only available in an inline 4 cylinder.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My first car (and only car) is a 2004 Grey Toyota Corolla. I have the S-model because I preferred the black steering wheel and chrome. I didn't like the skirt at first but its grown on me, though I made sure to get one without a spoiler.

So congrats! They're great cars. My boyfriend teases me because the car doesn't have much kick in the acceleration department, but otherwise they're very comfortable to drive and they handle wonderfully. I was in an accident in May (hit by an hydroplaning car doing 80 on the highway) and yet I was able to keep really good control of the car and keep us out of oncoming traffic. I am now the biggest fan of Toyotas and their safety ratings (well-earned!) Plus if you take car of it, you'll get excellent gas mileage which I found to be a plus when you're young and scrounging for dollar bills under the passenger's seat so you put in a gallon of gas.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.