FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Let's argue about immigration (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Let's argue about immigration
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He gave the US good service while he was with me in Wisconsin, and I currently return the favor to his country.
Is that what they call it now? [Wink] *ducks*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the benefits are quite extraordinary.

*grin*

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The Euro has caused considerable problems for some European countries, including at least one or two recessions. The benefits are arguably worth it, but they're less economic and more political -- very situational.

Also, the requirements for entering the Eurozone are more stringent than could be met by Mexico, I believe. Also, European countries in the Eurozone have more homogenous economic policies than the US, Canada, and Mexico do.

I don't think it would be a disaster, but neither is there any real reason to (can anyone name one?), and there would be negative effects, in the short term and the long term.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu: Do you suppose that both Canada and Mexico will not continue to grow economically in the next 50 years? Combining currencies at the very least strenghthens ties to both countries and that will be useful as we do more business with both. Oil is becoming a huge commodity in Cananda and we are already starting to outsource alot of our production to Mexico.

With Europe combining it's strength and everyone giving the kow tow (proper pin yin = ke tou) treatment to China and to a lesser extent India, strenghthening alliances is a good idea. Or rather remaining aloof while everyone else strenghthens alliances is not a good idea.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Sure, they'll grow economically. So? So will South Korea, Brazil (well, most likely), and lots of other places, near and far. I see no reason to combine our currency with any of them.

As far as "Strengthens ties to both countries", I don't see how that's much of an argument; there are far more generally beneficial (and simpler, and less costly) things we could do if that was our aim. As far as "useful as we do more business with both", I think that's wrong. There are no significant currency-related barriers to trade with either country, that I'm aware of. The financial institutions that allow currency-independent commerce among the three states are well-established and efficient.

There are even reasons to believe a unified currency would be significantly detrimental to at least one member at some point, most likely Mexico. They're at a stage of development where flexibility in monetary policy is quite useful, and good monetary policy decisions for them would frequently be bad monetary policy decisions for us (if made for our currency, not if made for their currency). Tying our currency to theirs means there would only be one monetary policy.

As for the oil and outsourcing, so? That activity is unconnected with a unified currency.

Btw, how familiar are you with Bretton Woods?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Oil is becoming a huge commodity in Cananda...

That actually isn't new. Water, too.

Luckily for you guys, the proportionality clause of NAFTA requires us to supply you at the expense of domestic markets.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The proportionality agreement was stupid (for both sides, IMO), but his proposed replacement rule would be even worse. If those're the only two feasible political options, Canada chose right.
twinky
Member # 693

I don't think he means a 25-year supply of refined products, though I do agree that returning to that rule would be a pretty drastic shift from the status quo.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I suspect we'd be buying more than the proportionality agreement's percentage anyways, but Canadian exporters would have a better bargaining position if it were removed.
twinky
Member # 693

Likely, because we don't have the infrastructure in place to supply Eastern Canada from Western Canada... and also because as we learned from the National Energy Program crisis under Trudeau, Western Canada is happy to "Let the Eastern bastards freeze in the dark." [Wink]
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like straw man, either, but there are points that needed to be made and now have been.

I'd have been just as happy if the anti-immigration person hadn't been "the Republican." Many Republicans are pro-immigration. The free-market economists are among them.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Likely, because we don't have the infrastructure in place to supply Eastern Canada from Western Canada...

Right, but pretty soon the Northwest passage will be open due to global warming, so you can ship it by tanker instead. Plus, winters will be milder so they won't need as much. It's a win/win!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu: I am alittle familiar with the system he created that was adopted post WW2.

Twinky: I never said it was new, but it IS an expanding industry as science gets close and closer to being able to effectively extract oil from tar sand.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

No he, the Bretton Woods system is named after a place (in New Hampshire), and it is the system I'm referring to (just calling it "Bretton Woods" is fairly common).

It involved an attempt to unify exchange rates (within a very small amount of variance). It worked okay for a little while (largely due to the US committing to huge cash outflows that were perhaps not the wisest course), and then disintegrated due to the strain doing so put on economies. And that was with a gold standard, theoretically simplifying things.

edit: and not just a gold standard, but a huge gold inflow from the all the countries that owed us tons (literally, in gold) of money. Which was most of the rest of the western world at the time.

[ September 07, 2007, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Likely, because we don't have the infrastructure in place to supply Eastern Canada from Western Canada...

Right, but pretty soon the Northwest passage will be open due to global warming, so you can ship it by tanker instead. Plus, winters will be milder so they won't need as much. It's a win/win!
It's probably good you don't have the infrastructure in place anyway. If you did, it'd probably be just like the pipeline in Alaksa. I've read several articles in the last few years that have said if the permafrost ever melted in Alaska, the pipeline would become, at least temporarily, inoperable. I haven't read if they ever overhauled it or not, but Canadian permafrost, much like Alaska's will be melting soon, despite what Alaska's Senator Ted Stevens said, we aren't about to enter a 900 year cooling period. Half the pipeline is built above ground, elevated to keep the heat from the oil away from the ground so it won't melt. If it does melt, the ground will subside and the pipeline will crack. Imagine how bad that could be over 400 miles or so of pipeline.

It'd be funny if Canada's government complained that they should have control of the Northwest Passage because other countries might pollute their shores if there is an oil spill, and then they go and start shoving it through the Passage as fast as they could, but even if it were the case, it's their passage, they can do what they want.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd have been just as happy if the anti-immigration person hadn't been "the Republican."
Unfortunately, he was all to accurate on that point.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
No he, the Bretton Woods system is named after a place (in New Hampshire), and it is the system I'm referring to (just calling it "Bretton Woods" is fairly common).
Ah, thanks for the correction.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Qaz:
I don't like straw man, either, but there are points that needed to be made and now have been.

I'd have been just as happy if the anti-immigration person hadn't been "the Republican." Many Republicans are pro-immigration. The free-market economists are among them.

I believe that a significant number of free-market economists are no longer interested in being associated with the Republican Party. The free-marketers, often characterized by the Chicago school, are more libertarian (little ell) than anything else. They were politically aligned with the Republicans back in Regan’s era, but Bush’s economics aren’t what I’d generally call free-market, and his social policies don’t exactly bring much admiration from those who prize liberty. Since I’ve been following it, I’ve noticed a significant shift of economists away from blankly defining themselves as Republican.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.